Sign in to follow this  
Crimson_king_of_the_tower

Gumbo Get Together?

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

When/if the time comes, just post a list of ingredients used.  You won't be able to please everybody or conform to all dietary restrictions.  People are responsible for what they eat and most folks with allergies have a good idea already of what they can't have. 

Quoted for truth. Just don't have any secret or hidden ingredients and you will be fine. Yes, I do have my own allergy and I hate it when companies sneak it in things where it has no business being. (artificial sweeteners)

• Like 4

Yeah, I'm allergic to avocados. I break out in hives (and living in Texas, surrounded by guacamole which is used as a garnish, I have to be careful about what I order).

My youngest is allergic to Jell-O.

I had a boss allergic to cucumbers.

And shellfish allergies are a thing. A lot of gumbos have shrimp (I looooove shrimp gumbo).  So a posting of the ingredients would be a good thing. ^_^

• Like 3

Weird Food Allergies are a thing.

Just within my RL gaming group we have: fish, egg and pumpkin allergies and lactose and gluten intolerance (the lactose intolerants can have goat's milk, so when bringing cheese for snax, I bring goats' milk cheddar. Nomnom..). That's between four people. I'm the lucky odd one out who doesn't have any food allergies, so far.

My mother was wildly allergic to mango, and slightly allergic to raw celery.

… allergies are /weird/.

So, yah. I third or fourth the suggestion to have a list of ingredients, complete (including seasonings), so people can make informed decisions. ^^

• Like 5

On 9/8/2018 at 2:10 AM, Sylverthorne said:

Ehgeh. Well. Mr. Thorne is allergic to squash in all forms; that carries all the way down to musk melons (honeydew, cantaloupe and so on) and cucumber. Nut allergies might be the most common, but they're not the only ones. I also ran into someone with capsaicin allergies, and at least one allergic to red food dye. Gluten is another common one, and most roux use wheat flour, which contains gluten.

So getting a list, not only of what people might be allergic to, but also dietary prejudices, isn't just a good idea, but may save someone from, at best, a miserable weekend, or, worst case, a hospital visit.

Mind, I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out something I've had to learn the hard way. :/

(Mr. Thorne's dad has some trouble getting it through his skull that Mr. Thorne really /is/ allergic to pumpkin; at one point while we were visiting he made a dessert. He offered it round, and had us guess what was in it. Mr. Thorne had a tiny taste, I had a little more. Not bad. Neither of us could guess what he'd put in it, though. He told us, all pleased, that it had pumpkin oil. Mr. Thorne didn't have more than a little spoonful. He was still pretty sick the next couple of days.)

I will make a list of what I use and post it on here to see if it would affect them in anyway. I want as many people to be able to enjoy it as possible and would hate to make people sick. Thank you for the information! It will definitely be full disclosure I wouldn't try to sneak anything in and I don't really have secret ingredients. Just an old family recipe

4 hours ago, Kheprera said:

Yeah, I'm allergic to avocados. I break out in hives (and living in Texas, surrounded by guacamole which is used as a garnish, I have to be careful about what I order).

My youngest is allergic to Jell-O.

I had a boss allergic to cucumbers.

And shellfish allergies are a thing. A lot of gumbos have shrimp (I looooove shrimp gumbo).  So a posting of the ingredients would be a good thing. ^_^

While I too LOVE seafood and seafood gumbo my wife hates seafood (no allergies just never liked it) so I make chicken and sausage gumbo. One of these days though.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1