Sign in to follow this  
CitizenCane

New hobby room set-up advice

Even something as inexpensive as nail polish racks can seriously help with the organization of paints. The biggest advice against disorganization is you have to give your things a home. If there isn't a dedicated place for it, it will simply end up somewhere.

Lighting is also the big one - having adequate and accurate lighting is incredibly useful. I made my own LED light arch (DIY Perks on YouTube has a tutorial) and that helped immensely, and saves a lot of space in the process.

My mini storage is probably the most lacking - those minis simply go in the drawers of my desk, which are quickly becoming overfilled. Some dedicated pegboard racks + bins might be a more elegant solution.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

I found a table and legs at ikea that is great for such builds. I am still using the table. The work space it provides is more than enough. I wanted enough room on my table to support my racks and have elbow room AND have room to lay stuff out and leave it... Trying to accommodate for the "crafting halo", when your working and your put stuff all around you. I found that the 61inch by 29.5 inch work table was more than enough for that. I would highly recommend it.

IKEA:

• GERTON - Tabletop, beech
  • ADILS - Leg, black

Then I went with HobbyZone Crafting racks. This was the most expensive parts. 

New Office 05.jpg

This is slightly older photo as I now have dual monitors up.

Much storage, many envy. 

Or.. I wish I had that much storage for stuff!  I'll get there eventually though, as I'm seriously considering a few different options... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Highlander said:

I'll be moving in with you by the end of the month.

I second this. That is beautiful!

I keep sending my wife some of my ideas and she keeps saying no...

desk.png

IMG_8152.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Much storage, many envy. 

Or.. I wish I had that much storage for stuff!  I'll get there eventually though, as I'm seriously considering a few different options... 

HobbyZone, Back2Base-ix, 

Those are the two major ones I was looking at when I started the process.

Spoiler

Before I set up my whole desk space I was looking for Roll top desks. It was very difficult to find one I liked and when I did it was SUPER expensive. SO much so I had to scrap the idea completely.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Arc 724 said:

Before I set up my whole desk space I was looking for Roll top desks. It was very difficult to find one I liked and when I did it was SUPER expensive. SO much so I had to scrap the idea completely.

That's why she keeps saying no :(

there is something to be said for having something that wouldn't irritate the broccoli out of me if I spilled paint on it.... but goodness they're pretty.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CitizenCane said:

That's why she keeps saying no :(

there is something to be said for having something that wouldn't irritate the broccoli out of me if I spilled paint on it.... but goodness they're pretty.

i spilled paint on my new painting countertop the first time I used it...this was right after telling my daughter to be careful and not spill paint on the table she was painting at, which was covered by newspaper and already has paint spots on it. 

• Haha 2

I have a pretty secretary desk from IKEA I use as a painting & storage station - it's super sturdy AND affordable! But apparently they discontinued it? I can't find it on their site anymore. It was the Hemnes Secretary Desk...I'll post a picture of my station later, but here's what the desk looks like (google search images ftw!)

Image result for hemnes secretary

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

HobbyZone, Back2Base-ix, 

Those are the two major ones I was looking at when I started the process.

Reveal hidden contents

Odds are I'll be going with something from Burn In Designs, as it's modular but can offer decent storage.  Only problem is the price once you start adding everything in!  Such is dependent on me changing back to my racing console for a computer desk though, so we shall see. 

I do like the idea of that plus some wall mounted Impudent Mortal racks though... 

Either way, I'll look at those two companies for research, because I'm curious as to what they have and all that, and of course pricing... ^_^

• Like 1

20180918_144706.thumb.jpg.8085cc5b7bfe4ea518911c8389797ef3.jpgI just repurposed an old computer desk and then built a paint rack on the back and added a couple Vallejo paint racks below the one I built. Oh, and added lights. 2 led strip lights and one clip on desk lamp all from walmart and all daylight(5000k) balanced.

• Like 3

PEGBOARD Items:

Oh, here are some things to search for on Amazon for the peg board style. I designed and was a day away from executing the idea when Ub3r told me about Hobby Zone. So I collected a few items in my LIST on amazon for a peg board.

• Azar 225590 6-Cup Display Tray for Pegboard/Slatwall
  • Azar 225503 3-Compartment Tray for Pegboard/Slatwall
  • Heininger 5560 GarageMate VersaShelf 3 Pack Shelving System
  • WallPeg Pegboard Accessories Plastic Part Bins - Yellow 1/4 Pegboard Bins 5 ea. Model: AM 505
  • Lehigh PBTH Spool Holder Utility Hook, Blue
  • LeHigh Crawford 4 Bin Pegboard Tool and Parts Tray #PT16
  • LeHigh Crawford PB2 Multi Bin Portable Pegboard Parts Organizer
  • Lehigh PBTMP Tape Measure and Pencil Holder, Blue

• Like 1

I just ended up getting an old metal desk my family had in storage for years. Honestly I love it, but man is it heavy and I'm really not looking forward to our next move. Aside from my cheap craft paint at the back all my Reaper bottles still fit in my Learn to Paint box. I'll have to look in to racks after Bones IV ships though.20180918_191342.thumb.jpg.ef7efb709a3f37b4ad527f1f2c29a4eb.jpg20180918_191426.thumb.jpg.c11313e7e131d6ae5290c5efdb29c1ae.jpg

• Like 3

Here is my setup circa 3 months ago. The paint storage rack I made is not completely full, and I mayyyyyyy have bought just a few paints at ReaperCon. :rolleyes:

So, yeah, going to have to make another one.

20180611_215009.thumb.jpg.f09a91e8582536c1e3c0e4e4455c2010.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

Here is my setup circa 3 months ago. The paint storage rack I made is not completely full, and I mayyyyyyy have bought just a few paints at ReaperCon. :rolleyes:

So, yeah, going to have to make another one.

20180611_215009.thumb.jpg.f09a91e8582536c1e3c0e4e4455c2010.jpg

Oooh, I love that LED light loop- is it an off the shelf thing or did you make it yourself? ::o:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Oooh, I love that LED light loop- is it an off the shelf thing or did you make it yourself? ::o:

Made it myself - I followed a tutorial from DIY Perks. I made sure to get some good CRI LEDs, but the actual construction was fairly straightforward and cost roughly $40 when it was all said and done. I opted to use a single pre-cut length of aluminum instead of buying a sheet and making strips like in the video. Very happy with it.

Tutorial Followed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5uycGosYq4

Edited by Al Capwn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1