Jump to content

Compound - The Cyborg Alchemist WIP


aku-chan
 Share

Recommended Posts

Starting yet another Guild Ball mini:-

 

2UeHN3D.jpg

 

Compound, a player for both the Engineer and Alchemist Guilds. He was pretty easy to assemble considering he came in a lot of pieces for a metal mini (body, apron, both arms, head and four canisters for the engine on his back.

 

Since it involved drybrushing, I started on his mechanical arms:-

 

pM28hnc.jpg

 

So far I've finished the wooden (Parasite Brown > Brown Wash > Parasite Brown drybrush > Ochre Yellow drybrush > Sepia Wash) and material (Scarlett Red > 1:2 Scarlett Red/Pale Yellow > Brown Wash) parts. The bronze metal parts are a base of Bronze with a Brown Wash so far and the steel parts are yet to be done.

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone!

I kinda wish they weren't so tempting, got a lot of other minis that need painting too!

 

Progress:-

 

yt8YxSj.jpgCWESSZd.jpg

 

Finished off the bronze bits of his arms with layers of Bronze and 1:1 Bronze/Aluminium, and then painted the steel bits (Oily Steel > Black Wash > Oily Steel).

 

Next up, skin. 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks!

It helps that whoever sculpts the Guild Ball range is really good at wood-grain.

 

 

Progress:-

 

qPEiSRr.jpgGwTtN7P.jpg

 

Been fighting with his skin.

 

Started with a base of 1:1 Dwarf Skin/Rosy Skin, gave it a coat of Flesh Wash, and then did highlights of 1:1 Dwarf Skin/Rosy Skin, 1:1:1 Dwarf Skin/Rosy Skin/Light Flesh and 1:1:2 Dwarf Skin/Rosy Skin/Light Flesh. Then I kept going backwards and forwards between the layers trying to blend things and emphasise other bits etc.

In the end I just called it a day, I can normally pull off a decent, basic skintones but I guess fat men are my weakness.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Progress:-

 

4nwhV2F.jpg

 

Painted everything from the neck up.

The mask is a base of Blood Red, given a Brown Wash, highlighted with a layer of Blood Red and a layer of 1:1:1 Blood Red/Red Orange/Carnage Red (my bottle of Blood Red died part way through the painting session and Carnage Red was the closest match I had) and then a Carnage Red glaze.

The stitches are Cork Brown, the metal parts are Bronze, the eye lenses are 1:1 Dark Green/Pure Black with 1:1 Dark Green/Off-white highlights (I was aiming for a gem effect but the area was just too dang small), and the pipes of goo are 1:4 Off-white/Green Fluo (the camera has bleached these out quite a bit, they look pretty radioactive in hand).

 

Start on his engine next.

 

Hmm... Is it me, or have I given him an angry chicken head?

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More progress:-

 

SV7pSFa.jpg

 

And more mysterious green goo!

 

Painted up his engine (Oily Steel > Black Wash > Oily Steel > Aluminium), straps (Leather Brown > 1:1 Leather Brown/Cork Brown) and handle plus buckles (Bronze), then gave everything a Brown Wash.

Then I painted his big vials of goo 1:4 Off-white/Green Fluo with Off-white highlights and Brassy Brass knobs.

 

That Green Fluo paint doesn't work too great on larger areas, it has the twin problems of needing a ton of coats to get a solid base plus it dries pretty lumpy, I think I'll just use it for tubes and little lights from now on.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Progress:-

 

tSwiWcX.jpg

 

Had a bit of a happy accident painting his apron.

Started normally with a base coat of Iraqi Sand followed by highlights of 1:2 Iraqi Sand/Off-white and pure Off-white, then I was going to blend it together with a coat of Sepia Wash, but it went on really thick and streaky (I'm pretty sure this is the only bottle of Sepia Wash I've brought, so it's probably getting rather old by this point).

Got a wet brush and tried to scrub as much of the Sepia off as possible, but it didn't really work, so I was planning on letting it dry and then repainting it. But once it dried, I realised it worked quite well as a manky, stained old apron, so I kept it as is.

 

00Ch3sv.jpgBa1Pr7m.jpg

 

Next, he got trousers.

Started with a base of Dark Green, shaded with 1:1 Dark Green/Scarlett Red and highlighted with 1:1 Dark Green/Ochre Yellow, before it all got a glaze of thinned dark green.

Finally, I based his belt, straps and boots in Leather Brown, highlighted with 1:1 Leather Brown/Iraqi Sand and shaded with Brown Wash.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...