Sign in to follow this  
Westfalia

Westfalia - The Dark Eye RPG Miniatures

Not familiar with Dark Eye, so did a little searching! It's Europe's version of D&D and it's been around for several years.

Stacie on RPG.net described the basic mechanics. Time to get colored d20 dice! (:

Re: The Dark Eye 5th Ed: Complexity

Haven't read the rules fully from the pdf core book but I am not sure it's all that heavy. It has the "Appearance" of being complex and heavy but I am not too sure it is. It does have a lot of options though, and if a lot of options equals complex and heavy to people than they might think it's heavy. Throughout the book there are sidebars for different rules on how to make the game easier or more complex. A good example is that in combat if you roll a natural 1 you get a critical hit chance, then you have to roll again and if that attack roll succeeds than it's a crit hit, yet it has a sidebar on doing away with the second roll and just treating a natural 1 as an auto crit with no second roll. 

What might be most complex to some outside combat is that all skill checks require 3 d20s. Every skill is associated with 3 Stats, and the character rolls a d20 for each stat and if one of them rolls higher than the character fails. Some people might simplify this by averaging the 3 totals and roll a single d20 to roll under the average'd TN, but I kinda like the 3 d20 system. It's different and neat.

A simple skill roll example... lets take Climbing. Climbing is a COU/AGI/STR check. Courage/Agility/Strength. Let's say the character has a 12/13/14 in those stats, so the 3 d20's rolled have to roll equal to or under those results one by one. In essence all skill checks are attribute checks. Characters also have a pool of points called Skill Points that are = to that skill's Skill Rating. The SP are used to augment die rolls that roll over the TN to make them possible succeed. So in this example, let's say the character has 6 Skill Points. 
-- Roll 1 = 11, succeed.
-- Roll 2 = 16, use 3 Skill Points, make die roll a 13. 3 SP left.
-- Roll 3 = 16, use 2 Skill Points, make die roll a 14. 1 SP left.
Skill check is a success. 

Left over Skill Points then determine Quality of Success. 

Me, I'm thinking that if any of the die rolls come up a natural 1 than the skill roll is a success, and two natural 1's will make it a critical success. But that's me. 

As for combat... yeah in some ways it has a lot of things to keep track of, but I think the things to keep track of are different than those in Pathfinder. Pathfinder, to me, as a ton of things to keep track of, especially as the character's gain levels. The Dark Eye has no levels, it doesn't have escalating Hit Points like PF, and when character's in PF get some levels... I think it eclipses The Dark Eye in complexity. I think The Dark Eye has more early game complexity, but once characters are made that's about as complex as things will ever get. I won't know for sure till I actually play a campaign of it, of course, but that's how it seems to me right now.

Just now, ced1106 said:

It's Europe's version of D&D and it's been around for several years.

Well, mostly Germany's (and Austria's) go-to fantasy RPG, And if by "several" you mean "over 30", I guess yes. The game was launched in Fench and Dutch (and I think Italian, but not 100% sure about that) in the mid 1980s, but those versions died a quick death.

They did launch an English version, The Dark Eye, 15 years ago, but that never gained much traction as far as I'm aware. Can't say I was surprised, though, that English version was for the bean counter's wet dream 4th edition rule set.

I'm a bit surprised at seeing a DSA miniatures Kickstarter given there's a pretty extensive DSA miniatures line currently available from Ral Partha Europe, including some rather characterful and unique sculpts. In fact, I wonder what this KS will mean for that line; I might have to place an order with RPE for a couple of figs I've been putting off getting for ages just in case this project means the old DSA/Armalion lines will be discontinued.

@Westfalia

In your size comparison image, the ruler is obscured behind the figures. Is there a way that you could show the figures with a clearer view of the ruler?

The comparison figures are Kingmaker (which I don't recognize), Westfalia, or GW figures, which makes them less useful to me (at least) than others. Ideally, since the forum regulars here are used to seeing minis compared to Reaper #77008: Garrick the Bold ("Sir Forscale"), it would be really nice to see him or a comparable Reaper figure next to one of your figures.

I really like the sculpting, but I'd like to get a better idea of size before committing.

• Like 1

Classic DSA is actually rather human-centric, with exotic races actually being, well, exotic (admittedly, that's grown gradually less over the years, and the spin-off setting Myranor was rather obviously trying to cash in on the higher-than-a-frat-party-on-a-jet-plane fantasy trend of the time).

I'd expect to see elves unlock before dwarves, given the setting's elves are somewhat unique, while the dwarves are, well, dwarves. Even in the full roster of 40 miniatures, I'd be surprised by anything more than 5 non-humans.

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

@Westfalia

In your size comparison image, the ruler is obscured behind the figures. Is there a way that you could show the figures with a clearer view of the ruler?

The comparison figures are Kingmaker (which I don't recognize), Westfalia, or GW figures, which makes them less useful to me (at least) than others. Ideally, since the forum regulars here are used to seeing minis compared to Reaper #77008: Garrick the Bold ("Sir Forscale"), it would be really nice to see him or a comparable Reaper figure next to one of your figures.

I really like the sculpting, but I'd like to get a better idea of size before committing.

I'm afraid that I was only recently moving from the UK to Canada, and I don't have most of my collection with me yet. I certainly have lots of reaper minis, just not here. Now - it seems lie none of the Montreal LGS's are selling Reaper either which puts me into a bit of a bad position. I am happy to make another set of comparison pics. I might even cut the tabs to give you a better idea what their true scale is.

21 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Classic DSA is actually rather human-centric, with exotic races actually being, well, exotic (admittedly, that's grown gradually less over the years, and the spin-off setting Myranor was rather obviously trying to cash in on the higher-than-a-frat-party-on-a-jet-plane fantasy trend of the time).

I'd expect to see elves unlock before dwarves, given the setting's elves are somewhat unique, while the dwarves are, well, dwarves. Even in the full roster of 40 miniatures, I'd be surprised by anything more than 5 non-humans.

Elves are often played, but they are in fact more seldom seen than dwarves in Aventuria (from my understanding of the fluff anyway). We will see 4 of each if the funding allows for it.

• Thanks 1

The problem I have with The Dark Eye is that it's constantly heralded as Europe's most popular RPG.

WFRP.

"But The Dark Eye is Europe's Most Popular rpg".

Yeah, until brexit happen WFRP still holds that title.

"But it's really popular in Germany."

Yeah but until it got it's second computer game (which ahd terrible controls) most of us ahd never even heard of it.

Basically all the arguments from this game's press team to try and make it look popular still don't make it look any better than WFRP.

The art and miniatures look really nice 'though.

1 hour ago, Westfalia said:

I'm afraid that I was only recently moving from the UK to Canada, and I don't have most of my collection with me yet. I certainly have lots of reaper minis, just not here. Now - it seems lie none of the Montreal LGS's are selling Reaper either which puts me into a bit of a bad position.

I bought them all.

Am I correct in observing that the two "star" minis (viking and sorceress) are not part of the core pledge and are only available as 15 dollar add-ons? 

If so, disappointing.

40 minutes ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

The problem I have with The Dark Eye is that it's constantly heralded as Europe's most popular RPG.

WFRP.

"But The Dark Eye is Europe's Most Popular rpg".

Yeah, until brexit happen WFRP still holds that title.

"But it's really popular in Germany."

Yeah but until it got it's second computer game (which ahd terrible controls) most of us ahd never even heard of it.

Basically all the arguments from this game's press team to try and make it look popular still don't make it look any better than WFRP.

The art and miniatures look really nice 'though.

100% true. It's a bit of a thing that got carried over from before WFRP to be honest, and they never really wanted to give up in it.

Apart from that it's quite remarkable with the 35+ years of focused fluff development under it's belt. Not sure why they don't 

capitalize on that rather than being sort of big.

Might be worth checking out the free version in acse somebody hasn't yet.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/154720/The-Dark-Eye--Quickstart-rules 

26 minutes ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

I bought them all.

Am I correct in observing that the two "star" minis (viking and sorceress) are not part of the core pledge and are only available as 15 dollar add-ons? 

If so, disappointing.

I'm afraid you are correct in this assessment.

I didn't really plan to include any Add-On's in the beginning, but then the sculptor got them done

just before the campaign went live and we decided to make them available anyway.

Including them into the 'bucket' would really blow my tight yet safe calculation.

I am really sorry to disappoint and lose possible custom (and I am not kidding about that), but

it's a safe thing the way it is set up, and I need that for my peace of mind. :--)

• Like 2

As a German person I never personally warmed to DSA, but the people I know (and game with) who played it before really liked the fluff and just feeling at home with it. But they are also the kinds of players who loooove to go through a library worth of fluff books and really get to know it.

Btt: Nice artwork and figures, I like that they aren't dressed super-fancy, and that there are two younger male mages in the mix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Westfalia said:

I'm afraid that I was only recently moving from the UK to Canada, and I don't have most of my collection with me yet. I certainly have lots of reaper minis, just not here. Now - it seems lie none of the Montreal LGS's are selling Reaper either which puts me into a bit of a bad position. I am happy to make another set of comparison pics. I might even cut the tabs to give you a better idea what their true scale is.

Elves are often played, but they are in fact more seldom seen than dwarves in Aventuria (from my understanding of the fluff anyway). We will see 4 of each if the funding allows for it.

When I still lived in Montreal, BD Cosmos in Laval sold Reaper miniatures. Though that was 4 years ago. With the rise of the D&D plastic miniatures, I don't know if they still sell Reaper or not (might be worth calling them).

As for Dark Eye RPG (and choose your adventure books), I still remember the game from the late 80s-early 90s. I scarcely remember anything about it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

When I still lived in Montreal, BD Cosmos in Laval sold Reaper miniatures. Though that was 4 years ago. With the rise of the D&D plastic miniatures, I don't know if they still sell Reaper or not (might be worth calling them).

As for Dark Eye RPG (and choose your adventure books), I still remember the game from the late 80s-early 90s. I scarcely remember anything about it.

Thank you for the suggestion. Ordering their minis from Reaper US is 16 US Canada. That hurts if you are after a 2.99 mini!

12 minutes ago, Westfalia said:

Thank you for the suggestion. Ordering their minis from Reaper US is 16 US Canada. That hurts if you are after a 2.99 mini!

If you can't manage the Reaper sensibly, given the limited time of the campaign, WizKids unpainted figures, or even old D&D prepaints would give me something that I could better compare to. Or you could just reshoot with a clearer view of the ruler.

:poke: