Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Westfalia

Westfalia - The Dark Eye RPG Miniatures

Recommended Posts

Not familiar with Dark Eye, so did a little searching! It's Europe's version of D&D and it's been around for several years.

 

Stacie on RPG.net described the basic mechanics. Time to get colored d20 dice! (:

Re: The Dark Eye 5th Ed: Complexity

Haven't read the rules fully from the pdf core book but I am not sure it's all that heavy. It has the "Appearance" of being complex and heavy but I am not too sure it is. It does have a lot of options though, and if a lot of options equals complex and heavy to people than they might think it's heavy. Throughout the book there are sidebars for different rules on how to make the game easier or more complex. A good example is that in combat if you roll a natural 1 you get a critical hit chance, then you have to roll again and if that attack roll succeeds than it's a crit hit, yet it has a sidebar on doing away with the second roll and just treating a natural 1 as an auto crit with no second roll. 

What might be most complex to some outside combat is that all skill checks require 3 d20s. Every skill is associated with 3 Stats, and the character rolls a d20 for each stat and if one of them rolls higher than the character fails. Some people might simplify this by averaging the 3 totals and roll a single d20 to roll under the average'd TN, but I kinda like the 3 d20 system. It's different and neat.

A simple skill roll example... lets take Climbing. Climbing is a COU/AGI/STR check. Courage/Agility/Strength. Let's say the character has a 12/13/14 in those stats, so the 3 d20's rolled have to roll equal to or under those results one by one. In essence all skill checks are attribute checks. Characters also have a pool of points called Skill Points that are = to that skill's Skill Rating. The SP are used to augment die rolls that roll over the TN to make them possible succeed. So in this example, let's say the character has 6 Skill Points. 
-- Roll 1 = 11, succeed.
-- Roll 2 = 16, use 3 Skill Points, make die roll a 13. 3 SP left.
-- Roll 3 = 16, use 2 Skill Points, make die roll a 14. 1 SP left.
Skill check is a success. 

Left over Skill Points then determine Quality of Success. 

Me, I'm thinking that if any of the die rolls come up a natural 1 than the skill roll is a success, and two natural 1's will make it a critical success. But that's me. 

As for combat... yeah in some ways it has a lot of things to keep track of, but I think the things to keep track of are different than those in Pathfinder. Pathfinder, to me, as a ton of things to keep track of, especially as the character's gain levels. The Dark Eye has no levels, it doesn't have escalating Hit Points like PF, and when character's in PF get some levels... I think it eclipses The Dark Eye in complexity. I think The Dark Eye has more early game complexity, but once characters are made that's about as complex as things will ever get. I won't know for sure till I actually play a campaign of it, of course, but that's how it seems to me right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ced1106 said:

It's Europe's version of D&D and it's been around for several years.

 

Well, mostly Germany's (and Austria's) go-to fantasy RPG, And if by "several" you mean "over 30", I guess yes. The game was launched in Fench and Dutch (and I think Italian, but not 100% sure about that) in the mid 1980s, but those versions died a quick death.

 

They did launch an English version, The Dark Eye, 15 years ago, but that never gained much traction as far as I'm aware. Can't say I was surprised, though, that English version was for the bean counter's wet dream 4th edition rule set.

 

I'm a bit surprised at seeing a DSA miniatures Kickstarter given there's a pretty extensive DSA miniatures line currently available from Ral Partha Europe, including some rather characterful and unique sculpts. In fact, I wonder what this KS will mean for that line; I might have to place an order with RPE for a couple of figs I've been putting off getting for ages just in case this project means the old DSA/Armalion lines will be discontinued.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Westfalia

 

In your size comparison image, the ruler is obscured behind the figures. Is there a way that you could show the figures with a clearer view of the ruler?

 

The comparison figures are Kingmaker (which I don't recognize), Westfalia, or GW figures, which makes them less useful to me (at least) than others. Ideally, since the forum regulars here are used to seeing minis compared to Reaper #77008: Garrick the Bold ("Sir Forscale"), it would be really nice to see him or a comparable Reaper figure next to one of your figures.

 

I really like the sculpting, but I'd like to get a better idea of size before committing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Classic DSA is actually rather human-centric, with exotic races actually being, well, exotic (admittedly, that's grown gradually less over the years, and the spin-off setting Myranor was rather obviously trying to cash in on the higher-than-a-frat-party-on-a-jet-plane fantasy trend of the time).

 

I'd expect to see elves unlock before dwarves, given the setting's elves are somewhat unique, while the dwarves are, well, dwarves. Even in the full roster of 40 miniatures, I'd be surprised by anything more than 5 non-humans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

@Westfalia

 

In your size comparison image, the ruler is obscured behind the figures. Is there a way that you could show the figures with a clearer view of the ruler?

 

The comparison figures are Kingmaker (which I don't recognize), Westfalia, or GW figures, which makes them less useful to me (at least) than others. Ideally, since the forum regulars here are used to seeing minis compared to Reaper #77008: Garrick the Bold ("Sir Forscale"), it would be really nice to see him or a comparable Reaper figure next to one of your figures.

 

I really like the sculpting, but I'd like to get a better idea of size before committing.

 

I'm afraid that I was only recently moving from the UK to Canada, and I don't have most of my collection with me yet. I certainly have lots of reaper minis, just not here. Now - it seems lie none of the Montreal LGS's are selling Reaper either which puts me into a bit of a bad position. I am happy to make another set of comparison pics. I might even cut the tabs to give you a better idea what their true scale is.

21 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Classic DSA is actually rather human-centric, with exotic races actually being, well, exotic (admittedly, that's grown gradually less over the years, and the spin-off setting Myranor was rather obviously trying to cash in on the higher-than-a-frat-party-on-a-jet-plane fantasy trend of the time).

 

I'd expect to see elves unlock before dwarves, given the setting's elves are somewhat unique, while the dwarves are, well, dwarves. Even in the full roster of 40 miniatures, I'd be surprised by anything more than 5 non-humans.

 

Elves are often played, but they are in fact more seldom seen than dwarves in Aventuria (from my understanding of the fluff anyway). We will see 4 of each if the funding allows for it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem I have with The Dark Eye is that it's constantly heralded as Europe's most popular RPG.

 

WFRP.

 

"But The Dark Eye is Europe's Most Popular rpg".

 

Yeah, until brexit happen WFRP still holds that title.

 

"But it's really popular in Germany."

 

Yeah but until it got it's second computer game (which ahd terrible controls) most of us ahd never even heard of it.

 

Basically all the arguments from this game's press team to try and make it look popular still don't make it look any better than WFRP.

 

The art and miniatures look really nice 'though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Westfalia said:

 

I'm afraid that I was only recently moving from the UK to Canada, and I don't have most of my collection with me yet. I certainly have lots of reaper minis, just not here. Now - it seems lie none of the Montreal LGS's are selling Reaper either which puts me into a bit of a bad position.

 

I bought them all.

 

Am I correct in observing that the two "star" minis (viking and sorceress) are not part of the core pledge and are only available as 15 dollar add-ons? 

 

If so, disappointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

The problem I have with The Dark Eye is that it's constantly heralded as Europe's most popular RPG.

 

WFRP.

 

"But The Dark Eye is Europe's Most Popular rpg".

 

Yeah, until brexit happen WFRP still holds that title.

 

"But it's really popular in Germany."

 

Yeah but until it got it's second computer game (which ahd terrible controls) most of us ahd never even heard of it.

 

Basically all the arguments from this game's press team to try and make it look popular still don't make it look any better than WFRP.

 

The art and miniatures look really nice 'though.

 

100% true. It's a bit of a thing that got carried over from before WFRP to be honest, and they never really wanted to give up in it.

Apart from that it's quite remarkable with the 35+ years of focused fluff development under it's belt. Not sure why they don't 

capitalize on that rather than being sort of big.

 

Might be worth checking out the free version in acse somebody hasn't yet.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/154720/The-Dark-Eye--Quickstart-rules 

26 minutes ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

 

I bought them all.

 

Am I correct in observing that the two "star" minis (viking and sorceress) are not part of the core pledge and are only available as 15 dollar add-ons? 

 

If so, disappointing.

 

I'm afraid you are correct in this assessment.

I didn't really plan to include any Add-On's in the beginning, but then the sculptor got them done

just before the campaign went live and we decided to make them available anyway.

Including them into the 'bucket' would really blow my tight yet safe calculation.

 

I am really sorry to disappoint and lose possible custom (and I am not kidding about that), but

it's a safe thing the way it is set up, and I need that for my peace of mind. :--)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a German person I never personally warmed to DSA, but the people I know (and game with) who played it before really liked the fluff and just feeling at home with it. But they are also the kinds of players who loooove to go through a library worth of fluff books and really get to know it.

Btt: Nice artwork and figures, I like that they aren't dressed super-fancy, and that there are two younger male mages in the mix.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Westfalia said:

 

I'm afraid that I was only recently moving from the UK to Canada, and I don't have most of my collection with me yet. I certainly have lots of reaper minis, just not here. Now - it seems lie none of the Montreal LGS's are selling Reaper either which puts me into a bit of a bad position. I am happy to make another set of comparison pics. I might even cut the tabs to give you a better idea what their true scale is.

 

Elves are often played, but they are in fact more seldom seen than dwarves in Aventuria (from my understanding of the fluff anyway). We will see 4 of each if the funding allows for it.

When I still lived in Montreal, BD Cosmos in Laval sold Reaper miniatures. Though that was 4 years ago. With the rise of the D&D plastic miniatures, I don't know if they still sell Reaper or not (might be worth calling them).

 

As for Dark Eye RPG (and choose your adventure books), I still remember the game from the late 80s-early 90s. I scarcely remember anything about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

When I still lived in Montreal, BD Cosmos in Laval sold Reaper miniatures. Though that was 4 years ago. With the rise of the D&D plastic miniatures, I don't know if they still sell Reaper or not (might be worth calling them).

 

As for Dark Eye RPG (and choose your adventure books), I still remember the game from the late 80s-early 90s. I scarcely remember anything about it.

 

Thank you for the suggestion. Ordering their minis from Reaper US is 16 US Canada. That hurts if you are after a 2.99 mini!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Westfalia said:

 

Thank you for the suggestion. Ordering their minis from Reaper US is 16 US Canada. That hurts if you are after a 2.99 mini!

 

If you can't manage the Reaper sensibly, given the limited time of the campaign, WizKids unpainted figures, or even old D&D prepaints would give me something that I could better compare to. Or you could just reshoot with a clearer view of the ruler.

 

:poke:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/russrmc/animal-adventures-secrets-of-gullet-cove



      Painting Polygons

      NeW Animal Adventures Kickstarter launches January 28, 2020!

      Set sail for a mysterious portside city where magic and adventure await...

      21 brand new minis (including a Kickstarter exclusive!)
      Fully illustrated, hardback sourcebook with artwork from leading industry artists
      Collection of maps

      With a host of colourful (and questionable!) non-playable characters, compelling locations, and a collection of multi-part adventures, Secrets of Gullet Cove opens up a brand new universe for you to explore.

      Don't miss the Kickstarter launch at 4PM GMT/8AM PST on January 28th 
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/81524567?ref=evzsas&token=8eaedf7a&fbclid=IwAR0J91XxQUE6SE1HQcvjOr2oZnAZoneIL31yr6GnwV9G2yPSiVSP-0tCQzg
       
      About
      Welcome to the Great Wall draft page – the campaign is not live yet, but we will be gradually adding more and more information about the game here! We are incredibly excited to hear your feedback, so please let us know what you think. If it looks interesting to you - make sure to click the "Notify me on launch" button!
      The Great Wall is a new major board game from Awaken Realms (creators of Nemesis, Tainted Grail, Etherfields and many other acclaimed products). Players will take the roles of generals of an ancient oriental empire who lead the defence against ruthless hordes. You will need to gather allied advisors, manage your workers, recruit armies and, together with other players, raise and defend the Great Wall! As the game progresses, you will often need to co-operate or negotiate with other players, but make no mistake – there can be only one winner!
      This fresh worker (and soldier!) placement game for 1-4 players faces them with many difficult choices and often pushes them to interact with each other. You will be assigning your workers to eleven different locations, such as Tea House, Quarry, Messenger Post, or Barracks, using special Command cards that have additional effects. Production in locations activates ONLY when all their slots are filled, but filling them all by yourself can result in a penalty. On top of that, players can buy overseers who will give additional output every time a location becomes activated. This creates a lot of involving long- and short-term strategies.
       Each player starts with one unique General, characterized by their asymmetric power, as well as the production level. From there, you will further customize your economic engine and fine-tune your strategy by recruiting advisors who provide additional bonuses.
      Eventually, a Wall Defence phase beings, where players place previously build armies on Horde Cards – earning Honor (Victory points) and looting resources from the defeated troops. This requires smart management of three types of units: Archers, Spearmen and Cavalry. Players place these soldiers one by one, playing the Tactics cards that create another layer of interaction.
      Gain meditation by shooting with the Zen Archer, then spend meditation on a Cavalry Squad Leader to move your Cavalry around the battlefield faster, and – finally – finish off by getting extra Honor for each of the Cavalry’s engagements thanks to the Banner Holder. There are endless possibilities for great combos and memorable plays.
      On top of that, your Advisors and General might give your troops extra abilities, such as shooting twice or looting twice the resources!
      All of the above makes the Great Wall one of our most strategically involving designs that will be appreciated by many different groups of players: those who love euro-styled games with their intricate economies and engine-building, those who love over-the-table play, bargaining and negotiations – and finally, those who simply like to wage war on a beautiful map.
       
       
    • By Clearman
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mystical/space-flesh-bust-collection
       
      Launching on Monday 5/11
       

    • By SparrowMarie
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gameenvy/desk-wizard-miniature-painting-organizer?ref=discovery&term=desk wizards
    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      What is evil, yet cute? a KICKSTARTER that's what.

      Since SoC's delivery is in full throttle, it's time to announce the SIBLINGS OF CHAOS. Coming from the dark places of the galaxy, and serving Gods of terrible designs, they march for the total ruination of everything!     from the same team that brought us Siblings of Conflict, Impact! Miniatures and Marchen return with more goodies for us (after delivery of the Siblings is complete
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 3 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...