Rainbow Sculptor

Adventuring Alice

I wasn't able to devote as much time to sculpting today but I did make some progress. I added in her apron, collar, and tie. I started to add the first layer of her bigger skirt but did it incorrectly so I need to start that over. I think I know a better way to approach it now so that will be a project for another day. I learned about a way to pose the model using the same ZSphere rig that I built it with and I experimented with setting that up today, however I ran into problems with retopologizing it which was frustrating since I spent a day just learning that and thought I had it figured out. 1857294447_Day3..JPG.33675f3f62e35d9512ed811beec55770.JPG

On another note, I am happy to announce that we've gone into production on resin copies of my rabbit sculpt! YAY!  If this first run does well we will be considering metals and adding other figures into the mix. We're pretty excited about this and the possibility of expanding from here!48362671_2511484738868171_123518225731289088_n.thumb.jpg.5a8860b26d56935db086573fd219d646.jpg

^That little guy in case you didn't know what I was talking about there haha

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 19

So i took a couple of days off, my brain was melting from all the new information and I needed a weekend to digest. Before my break I was attempting to prep the figure for the posing process. I watched a bunch of different videos and different approaches. I learned you are able to pose your model using a ZSphere rig, super useful if you happened to already have built one to make your figure in the first place! 
I was trying to retopologize the figure in preparation and getting a lot of weird fractal geometry. I thought I understood the process, I had done it at least a dozen times on my other model but for some reason I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. So yesterday I contacted Gene to ask for help. He spent many hours walking me through how to prep my figure, close all the holes in my geometry, subdivide everything that will need to get posed and bring down my overall polygon count to something manageable for the posing process. 

So here's where I'm at (I know it doesn't look much different) but she's ready for posing which will be my challenge for today. I'm finding the actual sculpting part of the process is very fast in comparison to traditional sculpting but there is a lot of extra technical work and formatting that gets added to your work time which isn't an issue in clay. 

Forum Post 4.JPG

Pose Ready.JPG

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

here is a lot of extra technical work and formatting that gets added to your work time which isn't an issue in clay. 

Over time you'll get faster at it, I'm sure.   And I'll bet that it saves a lot of time when doing similar figures in different poses. 

• Like 2

Were you Dynameshing and getting that result?  Is that whole figure one subtool? I find that when I am working with low poly or primitive subtools I often need to divide a couple of times to get the poly count up, then Dynamesh to avoid what you got. If necessary I may throw in a crease or two first if there are hard edges that I want to preserve.

Your Alice already looks better than the first figure that I did in ZBrush!

I also find that the process of sculpting a lot of model parts is much faster than doing it by hand, but then I lose all of that time waiting for the computer to finish doing what I want it to do when it comes time to process. Merging and remeshing subtools, fixing holes, sizing, and preparing a file for printing eats up a lot of time! I wish there were easier (and faster) ways to do these things, if you figure any out please let me know!

I swear I can feel myself getting older while dividing, merging and Dynameshing a few subtools at a time. Very tedious but what often happens if I try to do too much at once is I end up with that "shattered glass" look to my newly meshed subtool, or even end up with a piece missing. This seems to get worse if I am merging multiple subtools of very different poly counts. 

Edited by GHarris
Fixed spelling

@GHarris That was exactly the problem. I had tried a dozen different methods to combine everything then subdivide it when I should've been selecting which subtools needed to be subdivided and only doing those. It is a very tedious process but often doing it the right way is haha If I ever find a more efficient workflow I'll be sure to pass it along!

Not super exciting update just cleaned up and sculpted all the folds on the first layer of skirts. Took forever but I'm happy with it. 

Update.JPG

• Like 11

I felt like I was getting a bit bogged down trying to work out all the details for everything I started and wasn't making enough noticeable progress. So today I zoomed out and just blocked in most of the major shapes. Her spell book, potion bottles, a bag, the rest of her hair, and the next couple layers of skirts. I'm a little conflicted about the back of the figure. I really like the shapes/forms of the skirts as they layer and fold but I also want to stay true to my concept art and give her the big hair so.....idk, I may just have to let go of the top skirt in favor of the overall design. Still need to add hands, the cake she's holding, and the fan/gathering of fabric in the center of the back of her skirts but most everything is blocked out now and I feel like I made some decent progress. 

I want to say thank you to you guys. Some days it's hard to muster the motivation or push through the learning curve and end up banging your head against the keyboard in frustration for the third time that day.  It really helps knowing that I have friends that care, who offer critique and encouragement and words of wisdom. It means a lot to me and I just wanted to say thanks, I love my Reaper family! 

Capture.JPG

backwithhair.JPG

back.JPG

• Like 13

Looking good so far.

As for the hair vs the back of the dress - I'm assuming the hair is going to end up much "wispier" near the bottom than the big block you've roughed in.  Might I suggest having the hair fall in such a way to offer glimpses of that nice bustle?  It seems to me that the bustle would stick out enough in the center to slightly push the hair to either side there anyway. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Looking good so far.

As for the hair vs the back of the dress - I'm assuming the hair is going to end up much "wispier" near the bottom than the big block you've roughed in.  Might I suggest having the hair fall in such a way to offer glimpses of that nice bustle?  It seems to me that the bustle would stick out enough in the center to slightly push the hair to either side there anyway. 

That might be a good compromise. I'll definitely play with that when I start detailing it.

• Like 4

I must agree with Kristoff, you have done such a nice job on the skirts it is a shame to hide them. Perhaps full hair but not quite so long?

• Like 2

Big hair looks good; concur that elbow-length will probably look pretty nice and still allow the skirt details to be seen.

• Like 2

Created some ZSphere hands and posed/blended those into the body. Started detailing potion bottles and played with hair length. For the sake of staying true to my concept art and maintaining my compositional flow I will need to leave the hair long but I've dropped the bustle a little lower down her legs so you can see more of it peaking through underneath the hair. I think this resolves most of the issues. 

Capture.JPG

• Like 9

Nearing the end of the sculpting process on this one I think. Still have to finish the spellbook and more work on the hair. Then it'll probably be a LOT of little touch up refinements and fixing casting issues. Gene is going to walk me through how to get it printable which I'm looking forward to. On that front, we ordered our 3D printer and it's scheduled to arrive on Feb 1st!!! Hoping I can get her finished and sculpt up the base/terrain pieces before that point so we can print everything and see how it prints and what needs changing. 

Front.JPG

back.JPG

• Like 14