Rainbow Sculptor

Adventuring Alice

4 hours ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

Front.JPG

Looks great - I assume you already noticed the missing lower left leg? ::D:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

So we got our 3D printer!!! Kyle is busy figuring out all the calibration and nitty gritty how to's for that so I don't have to (he's an angel). Alice herself is sculpted and I've started on the basing components. Gene is going to walk me through how to get get ready for printing today and by Tuesday we should be able to have our first test print!! I'll post another photo update soon.

• Like 6

Alice is officially sculpted, water tight, and ready to print! She'll stand at 32.1mm tall. I'll be working on her base over the next couple of days to finish that up and we'll be doing test prints and troubleshooting. Can't wait to show you guys the final physical figure and paint her!!!

Final Alice Back.JPG

Final Alice Front.JPG

MeshMixerAlice.JPG

• Like 16

She came out great! I'm looking forwards to seeing her printed!

If I may offer a bit of criticism, I think the ends of the ribbon around her neck and some of the detailing at the bottom of her apron may be a bit too subtle. Ditto with the ruffling around the end of her sleeves, her left eyebrow and her eyelids. I think they may disappear on you when you print her, you can already kinda see them vanishing on the Meshmixer picture. You may want to raise those details a bit more, it would be a shame to lose them!

Getting a model ready for printing seems like one of those "this is more complicated than it should be" things. Luckily Gene is The Man! It probably took me about three tries to get it down, but then again I am working with a monkey brain. You'll do much better I'm sure!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GHarris said:

She came out great! I'm looking forwards to seeing her printed!

If I may offer a bit of criticism, I think the ends of the ribbon around her neck and some of the detailing at the bottom of her apron may be a bit too subtle. Ditto with the ruffling around the end of her sleeves, her left eyebrow and her eyelids. I think they may disappear on you when you print her, you can already kinda see them vanishing on the Meshmixer picture. You may want to raise those details a bit more, it would be a shame to lose them!

Getting a model ready for printing seems like one of those "this is more complicated than it should be" things. Luckily Gene is The Man! It probably took me about three tries to get it down, but then again I am working with a monkey brain. You'll do much better I'm sure!

Thanks! Yeah, I have similar concerns about some areas. I know the printer we bought is capable of a lot more than the Form2 as far as capturing detail so I'm curious to see how much I'll need to change. The areas you highlighted are definitely in my high risk category. I have no misconceptions that it'll be perfect the first time or even the first figure haha

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

Thanks! Yeah, I have similar concerns about some areas. I know the printer we bought is capable of a lot more than the Form2 as far as capturing detail so I'm curious to see how much I'll need to change. The areas you highlighted are definitely in my high risk category. I have no misconceptions that it'll be perfect the first time or even the first figure haha

Yep! We are pretty excited about it!

Edited by emmagine
  • Like 1

Stunning!  I thought I'd check back in on this thread (I'm curious, since every now and again, I have Wonderland-themed projects on the mind) and came to this page and -- LIKE, WHOA!  Computer model?  Okay, I had to page back and find the part where you reveal you've got some sort of awesome "scan 3D real-world figure to make computer model" device, and perhaps a clue on where I might be able to get one (I could go back to sculpting things LARGER, where I'm more comfortable, but just shrink it down in the computer version, perhaps) ... but, ah, it looks like you "just" went and recreated the figure in 3D.  Okay, that's just as amazing, really.  :D

• Like 2

Dang girl you are killin' it!!! You lost me very early on with your newfangled vocabulary but I'm still loving all your posts, because I'm super excited for you and your progress! :wub: 

The only thing that keeps catching my eye is the end of her hair--she seems to have way more volume at the bottom. Unless it's supposed to be closer to her body and wrapping around her? Or is it just one of those time to exaggerate things? When I had hair that long, it tended to separate into its own weird little waves.

8 hours ago, emmagine said:

Super excited!   I finally got home today, and alice is being printed!   Should be done around 2 am!

I am READY TO WAIT, FRIEND. :lol: 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Dang girl you are killin' it!!! You lost me very early on with your newfangled vocabulary but I'm still loving all your posts, because I'm super excited for you and your progress! :wub: 

The only thing that keeps catching my eye is the end of her hair--she seems to have way more volume at the bottom. Unless it's supposed to be closer to her body and wrapping around her? Or is it just one of those time to exaggerate things? When I had hair that long, it tended to separate into its own weird little waves.

I am READY TO WAIT, FRIEND. :lol: 

I started my wonderland series for my sister because she has a deep and long-standing love of all things Alice in Wonderland. Her hair is short now but when it was long it made a giant triangle getting bigger and poofier at the bottom and I teased her about it for years.

When I set out to design Alice that was a defining feature I wanted her to have, sort of as a personal Easter egg for my little sister who always inspires and supports me. So, I guess it's one of those times i'm just taking creative liberty with it and exaggerating but I'm happy with how it came out. I hope it doesn't turn too many people away. 

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Here's our 2AM update. She just came out of the printer and will need some time to cure before we can primer her and really see how everything came out. BUT I'm super excited to see the level of detail we got! I'm thinking the potion bottles will need to be enlarged as well as the hand holding the cake. Will update again tomorrow when we get some paint on her!

IMG_20190208_014318.jpg

IMG_20190208_014159.jpg

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 14