Sign in to follow this  
Rat13

Cadian Imperial Guard

With the parade over, the fact I just joined my local shop's kill team campaign, and that I still need to teach my wife kill team and regular 40k I probably won't be updating this as frequently. Seriously, I already have plenty of figure options for my kill team so this will become more of a back burner project. 

As we all know though no 40k army is ever truly finished. So even though kill team will be my main focus I figured I'd add to my army. Tonight I began work on my Taurox and just to add an extra level of difficulty to the project I've decided to try building a modular Taurox. Seeing as the regular and the Prime version both have multiple weapon loadouts this will definitely make the build more complicated and time consuming.  

In just a short amount of time however I was able to finish the vehicle's general assembly. This of course ends the easier part of the build and seemed like a great stopping point for the night. Now I've got to start thinking of the best way to keep all of the weapon/vehicle options open. This most likely means magnetizing things but I'm open to suggestions, obviously I've been spoiled with how easy it is to keep a Leman Russ modular. 20181018_015432.thumb.jpg.7e0ae15003ee0e2d1fe01c6b3b61a4d9.jpg20181018_015437.thumb.jpg.c141d92a38d0e1a403e65828fceea945.jpg20181018_015442.thumb.jpg.fa40975876285476c930b1d0bcf7dbca.jpg

• Like 8

Tonight I "finished" my modular version of a Taurox. Though I will still need to attach a few magnets all the weapons have been assembled and the turret/hatch options have been figured out. The actual vehicle itself hasn't changed except for the addition of a sledgehammer to the side.20181018_225717.thumb.jpg.bfdb6eed2a4b33202ae0c69918cd049a.jpg20181018_225703.thumb.jpg.fe7b1a3658ae4c13a7d9a0796fcee347.jpg20181018_225713.thumb.jpg.2cc76c5733faade975104b6c8fde0226.jpg20181018_225732.thumb.jpg.9ea477ae234740a3d8dbf73d67522e3f.jpg

As it stands now I cannot field this vehicle but after procuring the proper magnets it can be ready fairly quickly. In the end I spent more time thinking of how to keep the weapon load outs modular than was, necessary. It really was just a matter of going slow and only gluing the pieces that were structurally important. 

For now I can put this vehicle aside and perhaps begin work on my final two Cadian flamers. Or I could add the Nuln oil to one of my grenade launchers that I somehow missed. Then again my friend the Tau player convinced me to split a box of Cadians, so I could begin work on them. Though one of my kill team Cadians has earned himself a trophy for its performance in a melee game against the Tau, guess I'll have to decide what to work on next.

• Like 7

Since I'm still waiting on magnets for my Taurox I decided to finish my last two flamers. At some point during the painting for Parade day I must have base coated the khaki and the black boots. I'm not sure when I actually did that but it did make finishing them that much quicker. Once I got to the wash stage I pulled out the grenade launcher that somehow didn't get a wash and did that as well. 20181023_235343.thumb.jpg.ac5092d31c7a510bb41706f6ef036bd4.jpg20181023_235355.thumb.jpg.8b10fc965ac70f3d3750db80bbe00292.jpg20181023_235409.thumb.jpg.132dd4f77e9d34d1e542012b0b582445.jpg

Unfortunately ebay got me again a few days ago, so I'll be adding to my army much sooner than I anticipated. But I did get some good deals that'll leave me with some parts and figures I can immediately trade off to friends. So all in all I guess I can't be too upset.

• Like 9

The first of my current ebay orders arrived today and for twenty-four dollars and free shipping I now own two more commissars. Both are fully assembled with each sporting different weapons (now I have two bolt pistol and two plasma pistol commissars). The one on the left somehow was assembled with a piece of sprue still attached to his gun hand and the one on the right was slightly painted. The paint job isn't  very good but I guess it's technically table ready, I do see three colors, a quick bath in simple green will easily fix that problem though. 20181024_212056.thumb.jpg.c288bf8d664ff20788e427b411b773f8.jpg

The packaging of these two figures was a little excessive though. They were wrapped and packed in quite the bubble wrap cocoon. I really wish I'd taken a picture before unwrapping them, this isn't a complaint, I appreciate the care they were given, but it was a lot of bubble wrap.20181024_212140.thumb.jpg.c5e719b95620e3232105088a70fe06e9.jpg

This however did give me an idea for transporting my army/kill team. Since I'm not that worried about my paint job or the figures breaking I've been transporting my army in a simple Walmart tackle box. Seeing as I now possessed so much bubble wrap though I decided to put it to good use and went to work upgrading my tackle box in the most Redneck of fashions. I cut squares of bubble wrap and taped them inside the bottom of the compartments. I also attached squares to the top of the case as well, thus creating a semi safer way to transport my army until I can magnetize figures or find a transport case I like.20181024_221329.thumb.jpg.cf201642726371baf1b48ea9d2e1bc58.jpg20181024_221316.thumb.jpg.4062c485646da0b9882f82c060fe979e.jpg

On the painting front I based my last two flamers with sand and even managed to paint it. After they dry they'll get flock and I'll seal the figures, though I guess I still won't technically be finished painting Cadians. 40k armies are never truly completed, they're just waiting for the next piece or unit.20181025_011220.thumb.jpg.d8aea07f5345138cd180b9b56052d329.jpg

• Like 11

One of my guardsmen did something pretty cool the other day. He was the last man alive in a fight against a Tau kill team and he survived two full rounds of melee combat. I know the Tau aren't known for their melee prowess but this figure survived two full rounds of melee attacks from ten enemies. Needless to say I was surprised and impressed. 

Though he did die in the end to gunfire I decided that after such a display I needed to give that particular model a trophy. So after trading a few heads to a buddy I acquired said trophy and have begun painting it. 20181030_002921.thumb.jpg.6ce964b3d1680ed90ac6ae7605a5733d.jpg20181030_002946.thumb.jpg.a4a83c5fe677182a0335cce4313d989b.jpg

Without saying I think we can all see where this is going. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this tomorrow. 

• Like 10

Heh heh heh....  Tau head trophy eh?  I'm rather curious to see where this will go since I, uhm... Apparently have no idea where it's going to go ^_^

Must be all that grey liner I've seen the past two days! ::P:

EDIT: Congrats on having a model survive for that long in combat, it's definitely a feat for guardsmen, that's for sure!

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Managed to get the last few guardsmen sealed including that random grenade launcher I forgot to put a wash on. All that's left is to flock the flamer's bases, and it just so happens I picked up some burnt grass on my last trip to the game store. I also finished my "special" soldier's trophy too. 20181030_225421.thumb.jpg.cd25b278bf8c3cf8e06fb99682da9b1b.jpg20181030_225559.thumb.jpg.d80897573569c9722e59ab14ac81330b.jpg20181030_225632.thumb.jpg.8b0e5a027a10a804f31b5bfe7ed2734d.jpg

Though some might have thought I'd attach it to the guardsman's belt like an actual trophy I decided to go another way. If he had killed a bunch of Tau that head would definitely be hanging from his belt, but since all he did was survive a ton of melee attacks I decided to just add the severed head to the base. It gives the figure a little more personality though and will serve as a reminder of that game, which was exactly why I did it anyway. 

In a way I can't tell if I actually want any other soldiers to do well enough to warrant similar treatment? On the one hand it gives me an opportunity to do something different but I'd also hate to have too many distinct figures, this is a guard army/kill team.

• Like 11

Before I go any further with this project there is something I forgot to address in my last update. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to find out the color of a Tau's blood. After searching the Internet in all the usual places for 40k information/lore I settled on a slightly brighter blue. While this seems to be supported by an old codex I'm still not positive that blue is the right color. The situation just strikes me as odd, I know the Tau have been around for quite awhile and even with GW encouraging different army paint schemes and the freedom to do your own thing you'd think somewhere there would be an official "approved" blood color.

Oh well, I chose blue in the end and I thought I was done with that Tau head. I had even sealed it, but today it just didn't look right. That's when I realized I hadn't applied the Citadel Drakenhof Nightshade wash to the blood. So I applied a pretty liberal coating to the blood and now it seems to have the luminescent freshly spilled quality I originally wanted. So now it might actually be finished. 20181101_003640.thumb.jpg.8e98e1bbade02a2a4bb901ed25579e61.jpg

The only other 40k progress I made was to apply burnt grass to my flamer's bases. Which finishes the final two Cadians I currently have on hand.20181101_003535.thumb.jpg.a429bb9958e992d464139a10d5d9472e.jpg

Unless that Tau head needs further attention I'm officially finished with my Cadian army/kill team. Well finished until my latest purchase arrives. 

• Like 9

My latest acquisition arrived today and I couldn't resist starting it, even though I had planned to finish painting my Leman Russ weapons. My Cadian Defense Force arrived and considering the discount I got on it I'm really pleased, though even at full retail it's a good box (well good by GW standards).

I was surprised to find I somehow got an extra six large bases too, for a total of nine. I'm pretty sure I was only supposed to receive three as the box only gives you enough parts for three Heavy Weapon Teams. Oh well I'm sure I can find a use for them, especially since I have a ton of extra heavy weapons. 

I started the task of building the three heavy weapons teams first. I had never timed a build before and was surprised that it took three hours to remove just the necessary pieces from the sprue, clean the mold lines, and assemble six figures and three weapons. The kicker is half of the sprue is still filled with heavy weapons and bits that I didn't need, this box may take awhile. 

After three hours I do have three more mortars though, I'll definitely be fielding these soon. I'Im in love with this weapon, a 48 inch range that doesn't need line of sight, what's not to love?20181102_011001.thumb.jpg.6f19769de8ea7620d22b57ae5a5705eb.jpg20181102_011015.thumb.jpg.e69844203e331ecdbc12fd9e2e4172c2.jpg

Once my mortars were assembled I then began removing the command squad from it's sprue. Even without cleaning the pieces it was still a lengthy process. Seriously it doesn't feel like my last box was that long ago, did I just forget how time consuming just assembly is?

• Like 8

Yeah, that's the downside with their kits...  First, the extra bits (see previously mentioned tip for picking up regular foot sloggers and 60mm bases, as you can build a lot more than just three squads from a three squad box this way), and secondly... The fact each mini is usually at least five pieces (legs, torso, each arm, and head).  Takes what feels like forever just to get five people off of a sprue, and then even more forevers to clean the mold lines. ^_^;;;;

Oh man, that's so "not fair", the Cadians get a cute little set of sandbags with a knife sticking out of it on the sprue?  Catachans just got a bunch of jungle plants.... :wub:

And yes, do I ever have to agree - mortars are soooooo useful.  Not quite as useful as an armada of lascannons (or multi-meltaguns!), but they'll still put a dent in anything they aim at....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Oh man, that's so "not fair", the Cadians get a cute little set of sandbags with a knife sticking out of it on the sprue?  Catachans just got a bunch of jungle plants.... :wub:

Agreed, the Cadians certainly got the better end of that deal. I have a friend playing the Tau that just bought a set of Catachans to create buff Tau. So I've seen some of the peripheral things that come off their sprues, on the one hand I get it but at the same time a part of me goes, "come on". 

Edited by Rat13
Dang autocorrect
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Rat13 said:

Agreed, the Cadians certainly got the better end of that deal. I have a friend playing the Tau that just bought a set of Catachans to create buff Tau. So I've seen some of the peripheral things that come off their sprues, on the one hand I get it but at the same time a part of me goes, "come on". 

What's even weirder is the general infantry sprue...  Cadians get a few extras like bayonets on lasgun plus a grenade launcher and heavy flamer, steel legion gets a grenade launcher and missile launcher, and Catachans get... A bunch of giant Rambo knives and a heavy flamer.. 

It's an odd decision to try and shoehorn them into very specific archetypes that haven't really existed as much more than fluff for a few editions now.  Go back to the beginning of 4th edition, and sure, the various imperial guard sects had some noticeably different builds, but once the revised 4th edition Codexes came out right around Armageddon it was changed to come across more how the imperial guard really are - a mix mash of humans from various worlds, although there were perks if you did go with predominately from one planet/area, but weapons weren't anywhere near as limited. 

No idea how the rules are these days, as I haven't looked at a Codex for a while... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

No idea how the rules are these days, as I haven't looked at a Codex for a while... 

I actually have the current Guard codex but can't answer that question. I got it, read what was necessary for my Cadian army, and ignored the rest.

I've always liked the different Guard "factions", for lack of a better word, but hated the prices. I'm not such a fan of GW prices to begin with but paying more just to play Catachans or Vostroyans seems wrong in a way. They're still equipped with the useless flashlights and die just as easily, so essentially you're paying more for a guardsman that is only cooler looking.

• Like 2

Yesterday instead of building or painting I played Kill Team. In the end it was a little like a teaching/demo game, which was odd because it put me in the position of teaching the game to a lifetime 40K player. Since they play 8th edition it wasn't hard for them to learn, I just thought it was funny that the guy who just got into the hobby and only has around four games under his belt was showing him the ropes. Though admittedly they understood and knew the game well and only occasionally needed help with a rule or mechanic.

Against my better judgement I bought new dice right before the game and ended up rolling a lot better than usual. More surprising than that though was the fact that I actually won the game. This of course is my first win in the campaign I recently started playing. You may be wondering if this win will help me dig myself out of the current resource hole I find myself in. In lieu of an answer I present the following meme.2lmvz5.jpg.e254231cec4ac17d2e46be4f0be18a0f.jpg

Tonight I really dived into my Cadian box and managed to get quite a bit finished. First up was my command squad and though everything was off the sprue it still needed cleaning. Once that long process was over I assembled my command squad plus a new sniper.

Even with my current sniper performing so badly I'm considering removing him not only from my Kill Team but my 40K army as well, I just couldn't resist assembling a sniper complete with cape/poncho.20181104_013325.thumb.jpg.541a2d39653910e8169a61e77e8ed97c.jpg

Once they were finished I started in on my Leman Russ. I think I'm getting faster at vehicle assembly because when I started everything was still on the sprue but by the time I finished for the night I had a mostly finished tank. I'll still need to assemble weapons and add the final touches but this tank is practically done. I guess familiarity with the model and knowing exactly which steps to ignore to keep it modular helped move things along. All in all not a bad nights progress.

• Like 9

Cadians get plastic snipers now? That's kinda cool... 

Also, no wonder Imperial Guard tanks hit so hard, that ones plugged in for extra power! ::P:

• Haha 4