Sign in to follow this  
Highlander

ReaperCon 2019 -- Classes I Would Take

I would love a class on "How to teach a ReaperCon class." There are more new teachers each year (which is super awesome!) but just because someone is skilled in a thing doesn't mean they can convey how to do it effectively, or know how to manage a classroom environment.

I promise I'm not trying to cause offense, I'm trying to say that teaching in any context is hard, and I know I'd love any and all advice from more experienced painting/sculpting teachers! ^_^ 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I would love a class on "How to teach a ReaperCon class." There are more new teachers each year (which is super awesome!) but just because someone is skilled in a thing doesn't mean they can convey how to do it effectively, or know how to manage a classroom environment.

I promise I'm not trying to cause offense, I'm trying to say that teaching in any context is hard, and I know I'd love any and all advice from more experienced painting/sculpting teachers! ^_^ 

Huzzah! 

Perhaps there can be a paint teaching pedagogy guide given to incoming instructors to help out? 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

3 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Perhaps there can be a paint teaching pedagogy guide given to incoming instructors to help out? 

@Wren: this would be a great blog post or series of them for you, as you are one of the best instructors I have ever taken a class from.

For those who don't know, Rhonda Bender (Wren) has a new and awesome blog Bird with a Brush.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Echoside_ said:

Didn't see a class this year about it, but maybe a 202 level class on model prep would be helpful for many newbs, kinda like me. 

Now i'm not suggesting a tutorial on washing the minis, but proper pinning and general positioning on bases. I can't for the life of me pin a tiny weapon,  or an arm, or a model who is standing on one foot to a base Would be nice to know a trick or such for it. 

This sounds like a good idea; there are quite a few people on the boards who are Reapercon teachers, it might be helpful for someone who wants to plan such a class for next year to get more input into what you're interested in.

It sounds like you're looking for assembly and/or minor conversion techniques (your mention of pinning), am I reading that right? What else/what other topics would you like to know about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

It has been mentioned elsewhere, but having the hands on minis primed would be a suggestion for such a class.  This last year, the high humidity and lack of hair dryers made laying down a  base coat very time consuming.  In some classes.

3 hours ago, Echoside_ said:

...a 202 level class on model prep would be helpful ...

In general, 200 level classes might be very attractive.  It seems at times, that an advanced class ends up with brand new mini painters which then devolves into a trying to teach everybody everything.

I'd be interested in hands on advanced cleaning of mold lines, minor repairs, how to cut of broccoli bases, how to mount minis to custom bases, how to get rid of great lumps of metal or plastic that are hanging off a mini, pinning, and other such mini prep skills.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

It sounds like you're looking for assembly and/or minor conversion techniques (your mention of pinning), am I reading that right? What else/what other topics would you like to know about?

That's pretty much what i meant.  I have tried hitting up the University of YouTube for such, as well as creative beginning basing ideas, but without the working basics of the ideas I get frustrated.  

I know it takes trial and error, hence why I have many models with arms and weapons glued on funky or some on blank bases with just a little Citadel texture paint globbed on. The more you know, the more pleasure you can get out of the journey to a finished mini, at least that's my thoughts.  

3 hours ago, Highlander said:

I'd be interested in hands on advanced cleaning of mold lines, minor repairs, how to cut of broccoli bases, how to mount minis to custom bases, how to get rid of great lumps of metal or plastic that are hanging off a mini, pinning, and other such mini prep skills.

This x2!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eyenitacurse said:

Can there be a resin class on how to make your own walls, and or buildings?

I would imagine that something like this would probably be lecture/discussion rather than hands on. The time required for resin to cure would probably be prohibitive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eyenitacurse said:

Can there be a resin class on how to make your own walls, and or buildings?

Are you talking about sculpting the masters or actually creating the molds and pouring castings?  Because if it is the latter, try and find your local distributor for SmoothOn.  Ours went to Connecticon and did a demo of the various material as well as some general tips.  They also hold weekend sessions at their warehouse office (Reynolds Advanced Materials in Boston).  So that may help.  Actually, they have an office on Dallas, so perhaps they could do one at RCon!  That would have to be taken up with the ReaperPeeps.  Suffuce to say, there are options for that.

• Like 5

I'm thinking of volunteering for a Mini Painting 101 class next year, and I think climate differences would be a good thing to touch on there.

(Making notes.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So first and foremost, I enjoyed all of the classes I took this year and walked away a little more knowledgeable than when I started, which is obviously the goal.

While the primary focus has been on painting, I'd love to see a couple more basing classes (since it is a weakness of mine). Pushing past the basics of using cork and drybrushing, and with more of a focus on how to develop a theme. What tricks/materials work well for an aquatic theme? What works well for a barren wasteland? What about grasslands and forest? Some kind of Greatest Hits of tips and tricks and materials for developing an idea.

Another class I'd like to see is intermediate to advanced airbrush; when and how to use it for more than just base coats, zenithal priming, and large objects/vehicles. It seems like such a good tool for larger models/busts with a lot of skin tones, or even color transitions on capes/robes. Can it be used for detail work? If so, how small?

As far as the resin casting; resin can cure rather quickly - in a matter of 5-10 minutes. The working time of some is actually very short. The bigger issue is the mess and potential toxicity of it - spilling water based paint is not as a big of a problem compared to hard curing resin. However for making walls, maybe using those Green Stuff World texture rollers + that blue foam would be something that could be included as a demo/class as a quick example?

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

a hands-on airbrush class would be very interesting to me...  not sure what kind of logistics would be involved in that though....

Considering the electrical requirements.... probably not.

On 9/16/2018 at 2:08 PM, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

If there is serious interest in a "how to teach" class at ReaperCon, I might try to use it as an excuse to tempt Lady Klarg into attending one year.

She's not a painter at all, but she is a professor of education. Teaching teachers is her jam. ^_^

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1