SGHawkins09

30014: The Grudge

7 hours ago, Nathair said:

I want one of these but never can find 

i love what you did for a  leather look

Yeah, he’s a difficult one to locate. The large armor plates were perfect for doing textured leather. Unfortunately the photos don’t show the texture too well.

I absolutely love the blending on the leather!  The skin tones and work on the hair is out of this world!  I am really stunned by this piece!  I really want to try some busts but hair and skin have been scaring me away.

Fantastic work!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

I absolutely love the blending on the leather!  The skin tones and work on the hair is out of this world!  I am really stunned by this piece!  I really want to try some busts but hair and skin have been scaring me away.

Fantastic work!

Thank you! Surprisingly, the skin and hair were the two things that drove me crazy. In fact I hated the skin until I started working on other areas and then it looked the way I wanted, it was weird. I have only done 2 busts and all I can say is don't be scared, just go for it and you will figure things out as you go. 

• Like 1

You did an amazing work on him. I like the pure blue you used, it brings out the eyes very nicely. It's never over until it's finished. That's why many artists don't like to show their work in progress until they feel satisfy. It's the same for me, sometimes when I paint, I get to a point where I think I'm going astray. When it happens, I leave the model on the shelf for a while and give it a go when I feel like it needs to be finish.

I also really like that model, I wonder how many of those were produced and if Reaper plans to manufacture other bust in the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Metalchaos said:

You did an amazing work on him. I like the pure blue you used, it brings out the eyes very nicely. It's never over until it's finished. That's why many artists don't like to show their work in progress until they feel satisfy. It's the same for me, sometimes when I paint, I get to a point where I think I'm going astray. When it happens, I leave the model on the shelf for a while and give it a go when I feel like it needs to be finish.

I also really like that model, I wonder how many of those were produced and if Reaper plans to manufacture other bust in the future.

Thank you. I go through that as well. For me its that I hit a point when painting that I hate how the model looks so I put it aside for a bit and then come back to it. Usually it is do to something not looking quite right. This is one of the reasons I like to base coat everything before starting to shade as it gives me sense of how the colors work together. That was what was throwing me off when I was working on his skin. It looked "dirty" when the hair was just primer but once the hair was colored in, it looked better.

2 hours ago, Kuro Cleanbrush said:

He looks really great!  I especially like the leather!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By HolkDiggity
      Hey, all!

Over the course of Bones 5, there were a few models that I was hoping for. I would say that Reaper totally exceeded my expectations and covered about 90% of my personal hopes. One of the things that wasn't in there was an Azer. For those of you who don't know, an Azer is a creature from the plane of fire, and they resemble Dwarves. They are so hot that their heads are covered in flames, and often this heat causes their weapons to be set aflame as well.

Since I had an extra Dark Dwarf Pounder from my November order, I figured that I'd try my hand at a conversion. I have exactly zero experience with sculpting other than filling gaps or making a rock or two, but I have YouTube, so why not? The first thing that I did was get the model and choose a base to put it on. I went with a simple flagstone base from Secret Weapon.

Next, I shaved off and filed down the little "3 Nail" sigil that these dudes wear. I like that Sigil just fine, but its more representative of Duergar than an Azer, so off it comes. I also clipped away the oval base and filed the feet to be flat.

Next, I washed the model and pinned it to a cork. I also washed the base and drilled a hole for the pin, and then stuck that on a cork as well. Once the model was dry, I mixed up some Green Stuff and followed along with a step-by-step for fire that I found online. Basically, you start with a cone and stick it down. I put it on the Dwarf's head, and then used a thin tool to push down the edges of the cone into the head and shoulders. Then, I used tweezers to twist and pull the top of the cone into a sort of whirlwind. Then, dipping the tweezers in water to keep them from sticking, I took sections of the Green Stuff and pulled outward and twisted. Once I had the flames the way I wanted them, I went back in with the tool and made more indentations in the fire. I did the same thing with the flames on the weapon.

I'm waiting for him to dry and cure right now, and then I'll get on to priming him and painting him up this weekend! Stay tuned!
    • By aku-chan
      Presenting a pair of Deep Gnome heroes (I'm calling them Harold and Alice) from Reaper.

I got these to see what the Bones Black material was like on smaller minis (I was quite impressed), and while some parts could've gone better (One day I'll learn how to highlight dark blue) they were a lot of fun to paint up.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
    • By HonorableLordKentaur
      just wishing to put this out there, but what are the chances of warlord coming back, hopefully with the success of bones reaper can really hammer our full fledged army boxes. i only ask this as warlord was my very FIRST miniatures game and heck it was the first miniatures i ever bought and wish to see it again even if its just bones army sets or something. maybe even a third edition possibly. 

i mean am i alone in wanting warlord back? 
    • By Lidless Eye
      Fresh off the painting table come the Dwarf Adventurers II from Stonehaven Miniatures.  Their first Kickstarter, another set of Dwarfs, was the second Kickstarter I ever backed!

First, a group of the "traditional" Dwarfs, if any of them can be called as such.

One of my favorites of the set, a Dwarf Barber:

Here are the Dwarfs I thought would work better as Duergar.

My Duergar take some inspiration from World of Warcraft's Dark Iron Dwarfs, not just having white hair.  Gives them a bit of variety.

Dead Tom:

And preparing for Eberron, the Dwarforged:

• By Jellyranger69
      Heya guys! I’m relatively new to the hobby and I’ve only recently discovered Reaper minis. This is my new favorite company, great pieces that even a broke dude like me can afford.

I suffer from partial blindness so extreme details can be a challenge....but it’s just for fun so whatevs. I plan on spending my remaining years of vision painting as many pieces as I can. 

I’ve seen some really incredible work from you guys! Thanks and feel free to hit me up. I’m always down to chat about minis and always open to critique. I’m here to learn.

- Jelly

This is my first completed Reaper product: Athak, Undead Knight!

• Who's Online   11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 174 Guests (See full list)