01596 Joy, Winter Fairy, sculpted by B. Ridolfi

Excellent work.  Very smooth.  I've painted many miniatures to match the definitive studio paint-scheme.

I appreciate your use of the purple/pink glazing on her face to indicate some life/warmth.

You clearly have strong technical skills already, so a possible direction to push on your next mini: higher highlights on skin (especially if it isn't Caucasian pink) -- at least as light as you went on the hair here.  Reflections on the surface of skin (smooth/clean or oily) can make near-white highlights even on very dark skin.  If the highlights aren't light enough, the skin can look like non-reflective suede or cloth.   You can see how light Wren made the skin on her version, such as at the left hip.  (Sure, the skin of a "real" ice fairy might not have as much of a sheen as normal human skin....)  I emphasize this when I teach classes on painting faces and painting realistic materials.

Anyway, good luck playing in Reign of Winter!  I've read those Adventure Path books and I think it would have been a fun AP to play, with a lot of great scenes and characters in it.  (My home group played Mummy's Mask two years ago, and Ruins of Azlant now.)

Derek

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for such an insightful reply, and the compliments.  I’ll keep working on my highlights!

The Reign of Winter is DM’d by a lifelong friend I’ve known since 8th grade...but only when he’s in town.  That means 1-2 sessions per year.  A perfect amount of time to get a few minis knocked out!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darcstaar
      Here was my entry for the 16th quarterly  Reaper Facebook Contest.  I was honored to receive an honorable mention.  There were dozens of fantastic entries.  

I wanted to try a white dragon coloration.  I have Deathsleet in my queue, so this is a test run.  His scales are Dragon White.  The ventral surfaces are more of a bone color with Creamy Ivory and Linen White, with Sepia Wash.

His dagger is a green NMM.  His eyes are gem-like, not lizard pupils.  The skirt completes the “triangle of interest” green color.  I rebased him on a Micro Arts 30mm Sewer base.

I had a lot of fun with this one.  I wanted to keep him as a rogue, so I chose a dagger and loot bag from his hand choices.  I also painted his armor as leather with some gold NMM.

Enjoy.
    • By Darcstaar
      Here is the big boss of the Bones I Orc Warband.  With all of these Orcs they are shadowed with a purple color.  I added some green freckles/sun spots for a little interest.

For his shield trophies, I included some skin tones and hair colors that could represent elf, dwarf, human, goblin and undead.  The wood planks and boards on the shield are freehand.  Kavorgh got a little extra love with the bloodstain on the axe.

WIP here:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/93235-darcstaar-vs-bones-i-ep-12-orcpocalypse/

And the group shot.  Enjoy.
    • By Darcstaar
      Here is another of the Orc Warband from Bones I.  He had a very bent sword, so I swapped it with one from the Bones III weapon sprue.

WIP Here.
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/93235-darcstaar-vs-bones-i-ep-12-orcpocalypse/

• By Darcstaar
      Here is another of the Orc Warband from Bones I.

WIP Here.

• By Darcstaar
      Here is another of the Orc Warband from Bones I.

WIP link here.

Here is the group shot.  Enjoy.

• Who's Online   19 Members, 1 Anonymous, 61 Guests (See full list)