9 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

I use Fimo Air with really good results, especially if you're using it to create stonework (it cracks a little when it dries).

I think I have those rolling pins Glitterwolf mentions, too. But to me, those pins are good for a flat surface. Those pads can do rather big elevations (like the columns, tree trunks or rocks).

Fair point.

Hadn't thought of that.

I still find them too expensive.

• Like 6

Rrrf.... I've always wanted some of these, but I'll have to think hard.  Two of them alone is just over $100 CAD  before shipping, but the split elevations do add a lot more. 

That cost though, eeeeep!

Edit: I do love my GSW rollers, and Happy Seppuku stamps, but yeah... Those layers and details in the basis are quite handy I figure... 

But there are also several other Kickstarter that really have my attention, like CAV coming up... 

Edit 2: While I have mostly decided for some armies to use resin bases made by various companies, it's also... I dunno, appealing I suppose... To have basing tools on hand to just roll a few of my own bases.  Tough call, because while that forest one is gorgeous (as are a few others) ouch that cost... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4

At a certain point with larger terrain stuff, why spend a ton on a pad and the sculpting stuff instead of gluing a literal rock or branch to your base? Betcha I can find a darn fine rock and clean it up faster than I can find my green stuff! 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

At a certain point with larger terrain stuff, why spend a ton on a pad and the sculpting stuff instead of gluing a literal rock or branch to your base? Betcha I can find a darn fine rock and clean it up faster than I can find my green stuff! 

Yeppers.

Also, at some point in terrain modeling you are getting into "Model Railroad" territory, which has a long history of technique and product development in this area.

Need a forest floor?

Build one the same way as Model Railroaders do and you will have a better detailed and more realistic looking model than is possible with the most carefully detailed terrain stamps.

• Like 4

It'd be nice if they ever made them available at retail, so that I can grab one or two if I want to when I have a little extra money around....

Probably gonna pass.

• Like 4

As much as I want to get my paws on a few of these, it's a case of with shipping it's just sooo expensive...  $69 CAD for one, $127 CAD for two, four is $202 CAD....

That would have to be a lot of bases to stamp, versus making whatever you'd like by hand and accentuating with resin bases.  If it didn't take buying four to have reasonable pricing per stamp, ~AND~ CAV III wasn't in two days, AAAAND I didn't have to pay my webhosting this month.... I'd consider it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Yeesh... that's a messy project page. I'm interested in two pads, but not at that cost. And from what I gather, there's nothing new about this project. Anyone hear different?

• Like 2

Looks like the same as the second one.  Oh, and for those wondering, you can see full on impressions in their Kickstarter #2, which might help one decide...  Because it's got me going all "uhm... I actually could use those, and miiight be able to justify them..."

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Looks like the same as the second one.  Oh, and for those wondering, you can see full on impressions in their Kickstarter #2, which might help one decide...  Because it's got me going all "uhm... I actually could use those, and miiight be able to justify them..."

I have the Imperial and Plaguelands pads from the second kickstarter. They're all kinds of great, but you really need to base a boatload of figures to justify the cost. The pressed bases don't usually come out as nice as premade or normal DIY bases. They are good. It just takes more effort to get a good result than you might expect. The base edges and deep detail areas on the pads are tricky. They're also kind of a pain to clean up, at least for me. That said, I do like my two Basius pads. If you have money to throw at them they're really versatile. For variety, Basius pads are pretty much king.

Because of the cost, I don't know that I would recommend them over the Green Stuff World rollers or Happy Seppuku stamps. The rollers are fast & easy to use. You can knock out loads of simple decent looking bases with very little cleanup. The Happy Seppuku pads are also pretty straight forward. They all take a little work and practice to get the base edges looking nice though.

Just know that none of these base stamp systems are all that suited for making high quality display bases. These are all useful for basing groups of monsters, NPCs, townsfolk and armies. Anywhere you want a related group of figures, biggish and small, on square, round, oval, or rectangle bases to be on similar style terrain.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I have the Imperial and Plaguelands pads from the second kickstarter. They're all kinds of great, but you really need to base a boatload of figures to justify the cost. The pressed bases don't usually come out as nice as premade or normal DIY bases. They are good. It just takes more effort to get a good result than you might expect. The base edges and deep detail areas on the pads are tricky. They're also kind of a pain to clean up, at least for me. That said, I do like my two Basius pads. If you have money to throw at them they're really versatile. For variety, Basius pads are pretty much king.

Because of the cost, I don't know that I would recommend them over the Green Stuff World rollers or Happy Seppuku stamps. The rollers are fast & easy to use. You can knock out loads of simple decent looking bases with very little cleanup. The Happy Seppuku pads are also pretty straight forward. They all take a little work and practice to get the base edges looking nice though.

Just know that none of these base stamp systems are all that suited for making high quality display bases. These are all useful for basing groups of monsters, NPCs, townsfolk and armies. Anywhere you want a related group of figures, biggish and small, on square, round, oval, or rectangle bases to be on similar style terrain.

I have to agree... Cost and how much cleanup many state is required (unlike the 30 seconds cleanup a greenstuff roller has) are two definite things that have me wondering if my current pledge for four (Imperial, BattleZone, Warmaidens, and Runic) will still be there by the end of the campaign.  I'd probably use it enough, given that my first though was basing various armies, and I'm going to have a LOT of Skaven to still base... 

... But at the same time, while I love the various profiles you can get from Imperial, I'm still hesitant, as I feel there isn't as much value if I pick up just one or two, AND arguably I could get similar effects if I rolled the design out, and then attached it to cork later.  I do like the all in one nature of the Basius stamps though... 

I suspect my biggest issue is with the cost it really does become a case of just how many bases would I have to make in order to feel I "broke even" compared to pre-made resin bases, which just need to be paid for and then painted. 

The terrain elevation and varieties are what have my interest so strongly, especially with the fact that I have several armies I will be basing over time (Orks for WHFB and 40k, Tau, technically Catachans (but they're definite going resin base), my Skaven, Space Marines, what else do I have lying around, etc)....  And it's such that could make these in addition to the stamps  I already have a much more valuable prospect, because buying resin bases for all of them would be a loooot of cash. 

For more one off type stuff like my gnoll and minotaur army, I can pretty much guarantee I like rolling their bases by hand, with rollers, stamps, and most importantly cork...  But being able to take a basic mook, add a nice quick base that has more detail and texture to it than a Happy Seppuku stamp...  It's tempting, that's for sure. 

It's just getting past that cost o_O

• Like 6