Mckenna35

Impact! Miniatures Presents: The Lost KS Mini Project

1 hour ago, pcktlnt said:

Oh. I like impact. They have been courteous, professional, and great to work with. I couldn't remember if the spincast was a problem or not. Ah well. A few of those sets are cheap enough to justify the risk. 

Thank you very much pcklnt.   There should not be a problem with the resin versions .. I stand behind my work so if you do have a problem ... just let me know.   The reason the individual figures are 2 figures are the price of a set is that the molding I received for all the resin sets were a single mold.  So to get one individual figure ... I need to take it from an entire set.   So with the sets set at wholesale pricing and the individual figures costed with only retail sales ... it turns out for all those sets that 2 individual figures need to sell for the price of a full set to work out correctly on the costs to break the sets.  

2 hours ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Awesome service, very nice guy and I was pleasantly surprised and very satisfied with the minis. I will back this here - just don't know how much I can afford yet.

Thank you very much KODT!

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

That... is kinda awesome!

Spreading word, thanks!

The Auld Grump

Thank you!   This has been a really interesting project to work on over the last 14 months to get it to this point!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

I spotted the Torn Armour figures immediately. They were the first thing I thought of when I read the opening pitch.

Same here. I was stunned to see them... I'm having a bit of a confused reaction though. I desperately wanted those figures (still do) but $300 already dropped towards them originally and only getting a paper only boardgame I have never actually opened... mentally poisons the well a little even if I trust Impact a lot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm happy to see impact making the effort to get these minis out there. I've been happy with everything I've received from impact so have no qualms in backing them. It is also good to see the special pledge level for torn armour backers,  although I'm sure a lot of people won't be happy add they've already lost money there. 

Im not sure if I'll be able to really afford anything,  but I've backed,  and if it gets to the point of ordering and i can't afford anything then the small amount I've put in will be a donation to impact. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, impactminiatures said:

I do not know how ... but I JUST found out about Drake and Drake II 3 days ago.  Too late for me to try and get them included in this project.  So we'll see how this project does and use it after I have the backers delivered as a proof of concept and approach them for a sequel project.

That would be amazing (if expensive) for me. I think I'm actually one of the few who got *any* stuff out of Drake (I received like 50% of my Drake 1 pledge before things went south, if I recall) and I really wanted that stuff for its Dark Sun like style.

Checking my list of old kickstarters for sequel project suggestions I see "Midgard RPG Miniatures" (Mick Leach's ancient project, partially delivered to some), "Agnostic Giraffe Miniatures!" (mostly delivered but a unlikely to be reproduced), and "Warriors of Darkmyre Obliteration Edition" (I got mine but they apparently went silent before many others did).

This is a fascinating project conceptually. What inspired it, other then general frustration on dead / never-alive figure lines?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, impactminiatures said:

I do not know how ... but I JUST found out about Drake and Drake II 3 days ago.  Too late for me to try and get them included in this project.  So we'll see how this project does and use it after I have the backers delivered as a proof of concept and approach them for a sequel project.   Have a few new suggestions since this launched of companies to reach out to that might be interested in similar arrangements.   So yes ... a bullet dodged for you ... (for now ... muh ha ha ha ha!)   ;-)

I would be down for that too. All of the female minis. the desert guys, etc. I even liked 1 or 2 of the dragons... I would like to say that my keen senses kept me out of Drake, but it really was just a lack of funds at the time...

Edit. Just looked... everything from Drake 2....

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 1

This is a free service announcement by KotDT's wallet: Stay away from Drake and Drake II ... ;)

I was severely tempted by Drake but I was new to KS and did not want to back such huge projects (which would result in me having to pay import taxes). Glad I did not back (though I have long overcome my "fear" of import taxes - unfortunately).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Serpine said:

Same here. I was stunned to see them... I'm having a bit of a confused reaction though. I desperately wanted those figures (still do) but $300 already dropped towards them originally and only getting a paper only boardgame I have never actually opened... mentally poisons the well a little even if I trust Impact a lot.

Hi @Serpine

I wanted to address this as best I could.

I seriously get where you are coming from!   In a perfect world ... the Torn Armor folks would be able to cover your costs to have me print these at cost because at the end of the day they received your money and that is really want would be the best outcome.   I even agree that some due diligence would have uncovered that Defiance / Tony was a bad bet to work with.   I'm also finding a lot of issues with the models for what was planned for them.   A lot of designs were done by an artist and then a sculptor was forced to make that image and the artist clearly didn't understand casting undercuts.   So there were a lot of cards stacked against the project even if the money didn't disappear with Defiance.

I wish I was a much larger company ... one that could grab the project and just consider making free minis for anyone that needed them as part of the cost of acquiring the STLs even though I have no connection at all with the Torn Armor KickStarter outside of buying the STLs from a closed company.  However Impact! is a one man shop ... no employees and I run it from my house and the sales day to day just make sure I stay normally no more than one step behind the bills.

So I messaged some Torn Armor backers ... talked with several folks that have done 10+ KickStarters themselves ... about the basic question.  Financially I have zero obligation to the backers but at the same time ... the legal aspect isn't really important here.   There were varied opinions but the one that I agreed with most was ... do not profit off of the Torn Armor backers ... they already paid in the system.

So I agree with what you said ... I want you to know that.   I wish Torn Armor would cover my costs to make your $300 worth of minis.   I wish if that could not happen that I have the profits to cover my costs to make your $300 worth of minis.   But those are just not where the situation is unfortunately.  So I'm doing the best I can in this situation and offering to make the miniatures a reality and to not profit from any amount of the miniatures you want to get.  

Tom @ Impact!

35 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

This is a free service announcement by KotDT's wallet: Stay away from Drake and Drake II ... ;)

If I was even able to get a conversation started with them ... I'm sure we are probably talking at least a year before I could even do anything about it!  

3 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Wonder how the Hwacha bolts will stand up in resin.

We are about to find out @Smokestack!

Screenshot 2018-09-19 18.04.01.png

• Like 6

Out of sheer curiosity, how tall are the various minis in the Necromancer pack?  Specifically the one that kind of looks like a zombie puppy hybrid thing of doom? ^_^;;;

EDIT: Second rown, second one in the Necromancer pack

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Out of sheer curiosity, how tall are the various minis in the Necromancer pack?  Specifically the one that kind of looks like a zombie puppy hybrid thing of doom? ^_^;;;

EDIT: Second rown, second one in the Necromancer pack

I just heard a little bit ago from the company that original made those and they were beating me with the soft nerf bat to get heights on those ... I'll get to work on it!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, impactminiatures said:

I wish Torn Armor would cover my costs to make your $300 worth of minis.   I wish if that could not happen that I have the profits to cover my costs to make your $300 worth of minis.

Oh definitely either of those would be unrealistic expectations. :) I love the results of every project I've backed of yours (I only regret not backing more) and your offer to cut cost for us TA survivors is super-classy. You are definitely going to end up with some of my money for things like mice with slings and well-dressed minotaurs: It is just a mental tick on my part (which decreased a bit after I exchanged a few messages with TA's creator earlier today about your project).

Edited by Serpine
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, impactminiatures said:

I just heard a little bit ago from the company that original made those and they were beating me with the soft nerf bat to get heights on those ... I'll get to work on it!

Many many many thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just remember.  If they come at you with nerf bats?  Bring one of those chaingun electronic nerf guns to the fight with a decently long belt of nerf darts.  That or the 100ct ball launcher one... Apparently it's the Rival Nemesis I'm thinking of.

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Serpine said:

I’m in the exact same position myself, down to almost the exact dollar amount.

2 hours ago, impactminiatures said:

So I agree with what you said ... I want you to know that.   I wish Torn Armor would cover my costs to make your $300 worth of minis.   I wish if that could not happen that I have the profits to cover my costs to make your $300 worth of minis.   But those are just not where the situation is unfortunately.  So I'm doing the best I can in this situation and offering to make the miniatures a reality and to not profit from any amount of the miniatures you want to get.  

Tom @ Impact!

I just want you to know that while I appreciate what you are doing and offering to the Torn Armor backers, I won’t be participating. Although I do thank you for it.

I’d rather put my money towards new minis without a frustrating history that I’d be reminded of whenever I looked at them.

Wish you all the best for this project though.

• Like 2

$135 ... and I would definitely need to print one to see if I could even really make it as there are SUPER fine parts in this monster.    I can honestly say ... I have no idea how this was ever going to be cast in any way for the original project but might be able to print it.

The question is ... do I spend all the time to set it up ... any takers you think at $135?

Screenshot 2018-09-19 20.52.54.png

1 minute ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I just want you to know that while I appreciate what you are doing and offering to the Torn Armor backers, I won’t be participating. Although I do thank you for it.

I’d rather put my money towards new minis without a frustrating history that I’d be reminded of whenever I looked at them.

Wish you all the best for this project though.

Thank you very much @Darsc Zacal.   I know you gave me sage advice that really helped me consider the folks that would not necessarily see this as a positive thing.    I spent a lot of time talking to a lot of people after my conversations with you before even proceeding with including them in this project.   I thank you very much for your time helping me see this project from all sides.

• Like 4

That's definitely an interesting looking construct, but I'd probably wind up passing on it, not quite due to the cost, but more because I don't quite know what it would fit for things I'd want to paint.  That's six inches tall, so I suspect the detail would be rather intricate...

Rhino in a larger size could potentially be neat...  Or is he already somewhat large in all dimensions at it's current incarnation at 52mm tall?  Figure I'd ask, since he's $14 more than the $18 minotaur, but only 7mm taller, which indicates to me that he's a lot bulkier in other dimensions...?

• Like 2