Zink

Siege Accessories

Now that the castle is almost finished I need to start working on all the other things needed for a siege battle. I'm hoping people will pipe up if there's something they'd like to see. 

Defender's list

rock piles

boiling oil/water/hot sand cauldrons

Attackers list

light battering ram (big log)

covered battering ram

ladders (1 made)

mantlets

siege tower

Just for kicks I might try and make some grappling hooks.

I have some artillery and catapults for each of my armies but might want more generic ones. That's not a high priority right now. Have a Harlequin Helsinian trebuchet that is a massive chunk of metal. Need to put it together. 

• Like 5

Well that looks simple enough to make. I'd hate to be one of the guys cranking that for days on end while they're dropping stuff on you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

A quick test mantlet using materials I have on hand. Doesn't look too bad. I'll probably want at least 10 of these. Only took a few minutes to slap together out of popsicle sticks, matchsticks, bingo chips and hot glue. Might use different glue for the next one to see which is easiest.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

• Like 14

Made another mantlet tonight and started painting both of them. Also finally started a 3D printed elf catapult that @kristof65 sent me. Here's a few WEP photos of it.

As it came in packaging.

IMG_6218.thumb.JPG.12cb32538ae79553f103299fe399a2c1.JPG

A couple dry fit photos before gluing.

IMG_6224.thumb.JPG.3e16c57111bee191dd21e79a6655a39e.JPG

IMG_6225.thumb.JPG.6a23672424dbd9d18f6a1440f1f69cf8.JPG

Glued and primed. Should have been a little more careful gluing on the wheels as they are a bit crooked but that's kind of normal for a lot of my work.

IMG_6226.thumb.JPG.a099cb5146987f41493e134f5c702be5.JPG

Base coated with one of the partially painted crew members. Now I need to decide what details to pick out/paint on.

IMG_6227.thumb.JPG.f689d602f1e13804c3157ce2b3232304.JPG

Really like that catapult. Thanks, Kristof65.

• Like 15

Latest addition to the defenders armory.

rocks.thumb.jpg.881302b8f48429484d3720555fbcd333.jpg

These will give any adjacent troops a medium strength, very short ranged attack from the walls. Trying to figure out how to make a pot set up for boiling oil/water or hot sand. Also drawing up plans for a siege tower and ram. Haven't painted anything on the catapult today because I wanted to finish off a different mini that had been on the table for a few months.

Also need to take time to put together all the rules for the siege scenario I'm thinking of. Just because of what I have for armies and painted minis (gonna try to do this only with painted stuff) it's looking like goblins as the defenders. Facing them will be high elves and romans with maybe some dwarves in support. Our dwarves got a lot of heavy artillery while the eves and romans have a bit. Should keep notes about what I'm doing and post it as a lead up to an actual battle report.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Zink said:

These will give any adjacent troops a medium strength, very short ranged attack from the walls. Trying to figure out how to make a pot set up for boiling oil/water or hot sand. Also drawing up plans for a siege tower and ram. Haven't painted anything on the catapult today because I wanted to finish off a different mini that had been on the table for a few months.

I like the rock markers; I'll be using that idea whenever I get to my own next castle...

I don't know how to do the tagging trick, but the pot question is one for Chris Palmer.  He is the local master of improvisation.  But if it were me, I'd keep it simple and look through the wood shapes at the craft store.  In a pinch, a hemisphere would probably do as the start.  Paint black, add a quick paint for the sand or water effect to the flat side, and rig a simple handle from wire. I saw somebody's game at Barrage last week where he had just formed hot glue for flame effects, so that or anything sculptable to build a basic fire underneath.

Here's a literal back of the envelope sketch:

IMG_3051.thumb.jpg.8c38541832019727ebc55134e48ae2ff.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks, Rob. That looks a lot like the only ones I was able to find minis of too. The wife decided we should go to the city today so I'm hoping to get a chance to look at Michaels or somewhere else for that kind of thing. Think I've got my siege tower figured out, just need to do some measuring to make it match my walls before I start building. I may end up making a couple. Decided on using foam core for it.

For rules with the rocks I decided to make it they give any models in a wall/tower section that could shoot a short range missile attack. So the markers will stay in whatever spot they were placed at the start of the game but whichever unit moves next to them gains an attack. I was also thinking of trying to make some sort of brazier model that would give archers a slight bonus to attacking wooden siege engines. Not sure how complex I want to get with various rules.

• Like 5

I think Rob came up with a great simple solution.

For the Frostgrave  Thaw of the Lich Lord  "Dark Cauldron" scenario, we made simple cauldrons out of wood bits.  These were probably much bigger than what you need, as they were supposed to be big enough to be brewing up multiple Zombies inside; but if you want really massive oil cauldrons, these would do the trick.

fullsizeoutput_2223.jpeg

• Like 9

I like that set up. I've got 2 or 3 different mini cauldrons I could use in a pinch but want to make something more specific. Had a dry run yesterday at a couple craft and hobby stores looking for usable bits. Don't need a lot and worse comes to worse I can try to sculpt the cauldrons.

Almost finished the elf catapult yesterday. Hopefully I'll get time today to finish it and take some pics.

• Like 4

Finished a fast paint job on the catapult and a couple crew.

839045559_Elfcatapult.thumb.jpg.d6115894204ad8a7ec40f230f92fbab2.jpg

I'll do a bit of touch ups later.

Also finished a siege tower.

IMG_6232.thumb.JPG.1b25916dfc90b08155453e16eb91693b.JPG

IMG_6236.thumb.JPG.423ccd7f1440df658132b17a8a3912ff.JPG

Ok, I finished a plan for the siege tower and did a quick card mock up to make sure it works with the castle. Got my measurements now and will start on it tomorrow.

I was working on the rules a bit and trying to decide how big of armies I'd need. Found out that my table is a bit small for what I wanted to do. Never thought I'd say that about a 9'x5'. I will probably just stick the back wall along the one table edge to give the attacker enough room along the other 3. 50-60 minis does a fairly good job of covering 3 walls. Don't need them so packed that nobody can move.

• Like 12

That catapult looks awesome. Can I steal your photo to use for my post of the catapult on thingiverse? 

• Like 2

Of course you can. Do you want me to take some different angles for you? I've been wanting a 3d printer for awhile now and I'm hoping to get one this winter. Lots of little things I could be using it for right now. I want another one of these catapults whenever I get around to working on my dark elves. They might as well get some heavy artillery too.

• Like 2

Thanks - I'm good with the one picture. 

It's up on Thingiverse now.  Search for Elven Catapult by Kristof65. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1