Ok I don't do that many WIPs but I thought I'd try on this one. This is so far a base coat and 6 layers of shading. I like to use glazes so the build up is very gradual and I have to remember that everytime I start a mini lol. I will put down about 10 more layers going down all the way to a deep purple. This is at the pure tanned skin shadow phase. It will be slow going due to work but I will keep up with it. Comments and criticism welcome and before it gets mentioned I removed no mold lines this is more of a proof of concept to see if I can finish a wip post and how my skin painting is coming along. Thanks! 

20180920_184735.jpg

20180920_184725.jpg

20180920_184612.jpg

20180920_184713.jpg

20180920_184703.jpg

20180920_184655.jpg

20180920_184622.jpg

Edited by Crimson_king_of_the_tower
  • Like 11
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so added the highlights and then glazed it all to bring it together. The closeups are somewhat un flattering but I think it looks ok, need to work on painting flesh still. Next I will touch up the face then move on to the hair. You can see ive removed the weapons I didn't really like them so i'm going to give him one of the axes from the weapons sprues from bones 3. Whelp let me know what ya'll think! 

20181005_205516.jpg

20181005_205439.jpg

20181005_205458.jpg

20181005_205450.jpg

20181005_205507.jpg

• Like 8

Was up late last night so went ahead and swapped out the weapons the bottom of the axe is slightly off but all in all I think it came out nice and I like the looks of these better more fitting of a barbarian. The dagger fit perfectly in the hole I drilled in his hand. Also may have to repaint the tops and bottoms of his fingers.

20181007_100222.jpg

20181007_100211.jpg

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

So again normally for this quality it would only take a lil while but with work and  life it's taking me longer.  Ok so finished the face and hair the face still seems a little expressionless but it's only my second one and only the first of this size(other was an ogre). I tried green eyes(they're thr colors of my characters eyes)  but I dunno maybe too bright? Also tried some freehand black around the eyes that started out as me trying to line/ separate them. Please leave me feedback faces and skin are one of my big things im practicing on!

20181016_213429.jpg

20181016_213413.jpg

20181016_154635.jpg

20181016_213357.jpg

20181016_213348.jpg

20181016_213337.jpg

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

So not much more painting done but I greenstuffed some conversions. I didn't like his skin he had draped on his back it had like a reptilian texture to ot and not alot so I made it into a fur texture first time attempting it on a mini. Then I added wood texture to the axe handle it came out ok but a little more bulky than I wanted. Let me know what you think!

20181104_145150.jpg

20181104_145146.jpg

20181104_145140.jpg

• Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      Finally got back on to some painting.  It was a minor win, but just basing this dude feels good to be done.  One cool thing i thought was fun is that i put a footprint in the mud under his left foot.  Kind of a small, but cool detail. 

Done. 
    • By Iridil
      Finally painted her up! Is that a wolf head, an elf head, or... your friend's head in the sack? Can't see too well in the photos, but I did add some blood...

• By R2ED
      Got another one down for the weekend. 

This time paying special attention to the face and eyes.  @Inarahmentioned to me to lighten things up a little.  So, I took her advice.  I think it turned out for the best!

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Taking way more time around the face this time and really putting a lot of work into leveling up the color step by step with really thin paint worked well.  VMC Burnt Red and VMC Flat Flesh was a good blend together.  I think in the face, I could have added a bit more fare skin, but hey, he's a barbarian.  He's not going for a "best skin" award, he's going for best raging out award.
      *  The bone, leather, fur was a really fun combination to work on. I kept things pretty simple and the variation between all of them were pretty complementary.  
      *  Again using the zenithal highlight really helped features stand out and give me a good starting point. 
      *  Stages: Skin, then leather elements, then accessories, then weapons.  The working method inside to out went great.  
      *  I really like the way the scabbard came out, but I kind of thing it was supposed to be straight up and down and not off to the side, but I hate when it's up and down because it'd be impossible to get the sword out of.  However, the downside is the scabbard has NO detail behind it and it's jutting out, which Ididn't think about when I glued it in place.  Wah wah.
      *  Free hand on the handle.  I added the little black/brown element on the sword handle.  I am pretty happy with that.  I think it's a nice slight add.

Misses:
      *  Loin cloth was a deep red I was trying to lighten up.  I used a light grey, didn't work.  Then I tried white - pink?  Do you think a barbarian is going to wear pink?  "I reckon' you get your broccoli kicked for wearing something like that."  In thinking about it I could have pushed it to orange for the highlight.  Doh!
      *  Eyes - I did them better this time, to @Inarah's point, but I didn't have enough room to get much else in there.  I was also at a points where I knew if I tried to fix it, it was only going to get worse, so I called it where it was.  Meh.
      *  Sword - just a basic steel.  I tried to use a black wash on the bottom side of the blade to give it shading, but you really can't see it on the photo.  It's nothing special, and again, I wish it was more...anything.  It's pretty basic.

I'm reallllly looking forward to putting a base on this one. Needs to be something epic, so this will be a special one.  I'm very, very happy with how this turned out and feel it's a good spot to stop for the weekend.  Yay!

As always - open to feedback and would love your thoughts.

• By aku-chan
      Presenting the Ram Pin-up from Kingdom Death, I imagine this is what quest-giving NPCs look like in that world, sketchy, half-naked dudes who always have one more dubious item for you to fetch before they'll let you have the promised fancy sword.

I'm reasonably happy with how he turned out. He's a little rough in places, where my brush control wasn't quite up to the task, but I don't think I did too bad.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received. 
    • By thefub
      My second miniature of the year. This one took me longer than expected but I think it came out okay. I like the heather blue and purple combo. I used a different sealer/varnish this time around and I like the finish a bit more than the brush on I used in the past. 

• Who's Online   22 Members, 0 Anonymous, 48 Guests (See full list)