Sign in to follow this  
Jordan Peacock

Appropriating Fantasy for (other genre) (77470)

fort_griffin_post_office_and_drug_store_

Okay, so this isn't so much a "conversion" as it is an "appropriation."  I had #77470 "Elthin Bluesteel, Gunslinger" (Pathfinder Bones) in my box o' Kickstarter Bones, while I was digging through to find anything that might even remotely look appropriate for a "Wild West" scenario.  Sure, he's got some crazy boots, a big ol' dagger, and some sort of leather armor layered thing going on with his torso area, but he's got a gun, a cowboy hat, and a drape to one side that feels kind of Eastwood-ish to me. 

He also suffers from a wee bit of "melty face," as there's next-to-no definition to that face, and I'm still not even sure where the eyes were supposed to be, exactly.  In my case, though, that only inspired me to notice that the details for his leather armor, etc., were so shallow that most of the parts incongruous to a cowboy gunslinger could probably just be painted over.  He's not going to win any contests, but looks passable as another pistol-toting gunslinger in just another ordinary western town.  (In this case, it would be the Flats outside quasi-historic Fort Griffin, as interpreted by Dog House Rules LLC in their "Frontier Towns: Fort Griffin" supplement.  I based the scratch-built building off of a floor plan by Karl Keesler, and it's the central piece to a mini-adventure pulled from the book.)

Anyway, I just think there's something ... amusing? ... about when I can delve into Reaper's regular fantasy line and find something that would work perfectly well for other genres.  For some subjects, there's nothing terribly special about it: A fox is a fox, a bird is a bird, a dog is a dog, a cat is a cat, and it's not the least bit surprising that a pack of little animal familiars in the fantasy line would work just as well as pets for a modern or historic or even sci-fi setting (we just pretend that they're REPLICANT animals, or we paint them in funky colors).  Plus, there are a number of D&D-ish monsters that bear no resemblance to anything recognizable from well-known myths and such -- and the only reason we think of them as "fantasy" was because Gary Gygax found a bunch of cheap plastic imported Kaiju toys and transformed them into "owlbears" and "rust monsters" and so forth for D&D, and "D&D is fantasy," so that's that.

Still, somehow there's something "neat" about digging through a big box o' Kickstarter Bones, picking up some barbarian model, and realizing that if only I swap his bendy axe with a spare 40K POWER AXE, and paint up his armor plates to look like scrap metal (maybe with some paper-printed license plates and stop signs glued on), he'd make a GREAT post-apocalyptic raider type, etc.  Or, some beast-man monster type could just as easily be some sort of pulp-universe alien, if only I paint up his armor a little differently and stick a ray-gun in his hand.  And one of these days I'm going to turn that Mantis Assassin into a Kamen Rider.  ;)

Oh yeah, and as for the building: That's scratch-built from foam-core, cardstock (for raised details such as window and door frames), mat board, craft sticks, chopsticks (for the porch pillars), and wire, decorated with some Hirst Arts Castlemolds castings (for the porch furniture).

• Like 11

Looks good. Did you remove the hat? I agree that there are a number of sculpts which lend themselves to appropriation into other genres.  I painted my copy of this figure as a wuxia hero. 

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Looks good. Did you remove the hat? I agree that there are a number of sculpts which lend themselves to appropriation into other genres.  I painted my copy of this figure as a wuxia hero. 

Sorry, I guess I should have done a front-and-back picture of this guy.  He has a cowboy hat, but it's hanging off the back of his poncho.  Due to the "melty" look of the un-painted Bones (I attribute that to an ever-so-faint surface translucence to the plastic, a la soap?  Or maybe just the shine?), I might not have even picked out the gun and identified it as a potential "gunslinger" character, if not for the hat first catching my attention.

I know this topic is old, but it hits a particular spot in my core, because this is WHY I started collecting Reaper miniatures in the first place.

Ok, back up a few years; I was heavily into sci-fi miniature wargaming from the late 80s through the early 2000s. I didn't really collect any fantasy minis during that time (although I had a bunch of Warmachine stuff later on, because Steam Fantasy is really more Steam, and less Fantasy, and I like that Steampunk aesthetic). I had stuff from several sci-fi ranges of the era, but no actual fantasy minis.

I was shopping at a local hoppy shop (shout out to Brookhurst Hobbies!), for some iKore Void stuff (remember Void?!), and I saw a Reaper Dark Heaven Legends elf wearing a robe wih his arm outstretched (Elquin the Daring), and I thought "he would make a good Jedi mini".

Now, at the time, I was utterly unaware of the plastic Star Wars miniature line from WOTC (or the D&D miniatures, for that matter), as I was mainly focused on near-future/powered armor/alien monsters stuff. But I WAS into converting and customizing minis, so I put Elquin into my basket. Then I saw Damon Nashorn, and I thought "oh, another Jedi", so into the basket he went. Then I saw Bledsoe, Evil Cleric, "ooh, Sith!". Into the basket. After about a half-hour of this, I had an assortment of 15 Dark Heaven Legends minis that I was going to make into Sith and Jedi.

And I did. I worked at a machine shop that had micro brass tubing and hardened steel wire readily available, so that was what I used to make their lightsabers. (please see attached group photos).

Up until this point, I had only done basing on traditional slotta bases. I didn't want these to stand a full head above my other minis, so I based them on 1" diameter washers. These pics are from the mid 2000s, and I have changed my basing habits since then. Also, once I started collecting the Star Wars minis, I ended up selling almost all of these Jedi and Sith.

But now I had a taste for the quality of Reaper miniatures. I ended up getting a few monsters that could pull double-duty in either a fantasy or a sci-fi setting. I was also partial to "space lupinoids" (I really liked the Vargr from Traveller), so I bought a couple of Warlord Rageclaw minis and added some WH40K, Inquisitor and Gundam bits to make actual Space Wolves (see pics).

Then I got heavily into Warmachine/Steam Fantasy. And I saw a several Reaper minis (DHL and Warlord) that could easily fit the setting with a weapon swap (or even without, but adding a musket pistol makes almost any fantasy mini into a Warmachine mini...). So I did that. I also started basing everything for Warmachine. Most of the weapons are bits from Warhammer Fantasy, Mordheim and Necromunda. Most recently I used Damar, Adventuring Mage to make a Technomancer for Pathfinder. (see all the gun-toting pics)

I now have an extensive collection of regular fantasy Reaper minis because I got back into D&D in the late 2000s. But when I would loan out my minis for players to use, they would clomp them around the table like they were checkers, so I had to switch to the plastic D&D minis just to keep my collection from being damaged (but I use my metals for my own characters when I play).

And now there's Bones...

jedi1.JPG

jedi2.JPG

sith1.JPG

reaper_lord1.JPG

reaper_wolf1.JPG

DSCN2417.JPG

DSCN2418.JPG

DSCN2419.JPG

DSCN2420.JPG

DSCN2425.JPG

technomancer.JPG

• Like 15

Awesome!  Hurrah for Rageclaw Warrior!  (#14031)  I also used that one as the basis for a post-apocalyptic conversion, of sorts.

junkyard_dawg__fallout_mini__by_jordangr

I call this fellow "Junkyard Dawg."  I converted him with some bits of putty, and some Warhammer 40K space-orc "bitz" (the power-axe and shoulder-pad bits).  40K "bitz" are great for that sort of thing. 

I'm not sure where a giant mutant wolf-man of his size could find a suitably-sized John Deere cap in the Apocalypse (I made this one out of putty), but it was just a silly notion that popped into my head while converting the figure.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

BONUS POINTS for painting a WOLF!

He looks great with that cap!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

BONUS POINTS for painting a WOLF!

He looks great with that cap!

Thanks to Rackham's Confrontation, Privateer Press's Iron Kingdoms / Warmachine / Hordes, WizKids HorrorClix, and then assorted Reaper Warlord and Dark Heaven minis, I've got 3 APC boxes (foam-lined big keyboard box) dedicated just to bipedal wolfy types.  And this guy isn't even counted in that, because I put him in with my post-apocalyptic Fallout-themed collection.  :D  (Yeah, I know, no wolfoids in Fallout canon ... but early concept art drafts of the deathclaw -- AKA "hairy deathclaw" -- looked awfully werewolfish ... so there's that?)

Anyway, this is stuff I'm pretty sure I posted somewhere else before, but just to stick to theme here (since it's suddenly relevant again)....

super_mutant_crossing_guard__by_jordangr

Reaper Bones #77170 "Clay Golem" is a *great* base for either superhero/supervillain conversions (as BigBadMcStrongMuscleGuy type), or in this case a passable proxy for a Super Mutant (once I stick on a few more pieces of 40K space-orks bitz as "scrap metal junk armor" and give him a weapon).  The stop-sign axe is actually another Reaper-made piece, from the post-apocalyptic weapons pack from the "Deadlands Hell on Earth Reloaded" Kickstarter from several years ago.

dbga5jp-ded4dbdf-a43a-42d4-9964-3e16e000

In a similar vein, here's Reaper Bones #77169 "Flesh Golem," with even more Orky bitz, transforming him into a super mutant with a BIG gun.  (Yeah, I suppose with that face, he looks more "ghoul"-like, but I'm of a mind that when you have "mutant" in the name, there's some room for variation.)

post_apocalyptic_movie_night_by_jordangr

Oh, and another fantasy trope that translates well into post-apocalyptic scenes?  SKELETONS!  Just snip off those shields and swords (unless, of course, you rust them up and make them look like they're made out of scrap iron and hubcaps) and they can be skeletons of pre-war victims or post-apocalyptic raiders/wastelanders used to decorate bits of scatter terrain.  Because nothing quite says "apocalypse" like skeletons left sprawled all over the place.  (The funny thing is how trope-riffic it is that in Fallout 4 you have some post-apocalyptic folks setting up shop in, say, an old diner, but they can't even bother to remove the skeletons still sitting in the booths.)

In the above picture, I'm using a bunch of old, old Warhammer Fantasy "Skeleton Army Regiment" figures of plastic that's gone brittle over the years (so they're too fragile to actually field as an undead *army* with any expectation of staying together -- and the parts are too thin to pin).  I've also made use of lots of Bones Skeletons for the same purpose (since they're more readily available).

death_from_above__fallout_bloatflies__by

Reaper #77259 "Fly Demon" is a great proxy for a Fallout "bloat fly," once I trim off those silly little spindly arms and legs so it just passes for a giant fly.

_spike____mutant_hound_by_jordangreywolf

Before official "Super Mutant" and "Super Mutant Hound" miniatures came out from Modiphius, my proxy for a super mutant hound was #77038 "Hell Hound."  I still put it out on the table to represent a big, nasty, mutant dog -- because nothing quite says "mutant" like random SPIKES sticking out of it, right?  In fact, a great many conventional dungeon monsters could just be passed off as B-movie horror creature-feature types.

reaper__77047___goldar_the_post_apoc_bar

This one is my favorite "fantasy-to-post-apoc" conversion, I think: Reaper #77047 "Goldar the Barbarian."  My Bones figure had an axe that was all bendy and resistant to straightening out via the hot-water-to-icy-water treatment, so I just chopped it off and replaced it with another Orky 40K "bit."  I completed the look by using bits of cardstock and paper to give him "scrap metal armor," and a bit for some more modern-looking belt pouches, and topped it off with a rusty stop-sign attached to the base (using some pewter "sprue" with the spiky bits shaved off to serve as the sign post).

d8fun0q-824c9c67-fe3e-4a15-bc1d-8bc9ee27

Another conversion from around the same time: Reaper #77149 "Damien, Hellborn Wizard," converted into a post-apocalyptic mutant ganger type.  I mean, the bare chest and open jacket just screamed retro '80s "cyber-street-punk" to me, and his staff was suffering those same wibbly-wobbly Bones plastic problems as the barbarian's axe, so I did a weapon swap (another Warhammer 40K bit) to match the genre change.  I repeated the "metal sprue for sign post + cardstock stop sign" base motif.  

reaper_vampire_spawn_gang_by_jordangreyw

Reaper Legends #03383 "Vampire Spawn" has two figures (male and female) in garb that isn't necessarily medieval/fantasy, per se (although maybe just a touch "goth," depending on how I paint it).  So, it was a fairly simple matter to just base them on some "industrial" type bases to force them into modern day (or perhaps some retro-future post-apocalyptic setting) so I can use them for some sort of undead horror, a mutant gang, or maybe some "vampire wannabe" body-sculpt posers for a cyberpunk setting.

• Like 13