Killer Rabbits: Medieval manuscript art made into miniature

6 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The intended function of Kickstarter is, and has always been, to get people to give money to other people because they both agree that would be a good thing. In some cases, this has been of the form, "If you give me money, I will enact my dream of a musical with 37 dogs, 3 cats, and a capuchin monkey for a cast and you will feel great for having help to make that happen." In other cases, that has been, "I have this great product and I need seed money. Give me some and I'll give you stuff." And in other cases, it's been, "I'm selling 3 dozen hamburgers every day at lunch and I would like to sell 5 dozen hamburgers and 2 dozen tacos every day at lunch. I'll gladly give you a hamburger Tuesday if you pay me today."

I don't see any of these as particularly more virtuous than putting up a billboard to try to sell widgets in Widgets R Us.

Not more virtuous, different. And as such, I believe that one's treatment of such should scale to the appropriate response rather than treating each one exactly the same. Just as if I'm talking to someone that I know very well, it will be different from how I speak to someone that I've just met and different from someone who's a colleague. That's not a perfect analogy, so I'll bring it back around to art.

You find yourself at a children's arts and crafts fundraiser (not your child, not a relative's child, not anyone you know,) you're not going to go in expecting to find the work of an artist who has been honing their craft for 20 years, you're going to expect children's arts and crafts. Knowing that it's also meant to be a fundraiser, you're likely going to expect the prices to be more than you would normally expect to pay for macaroni art. Now maybe you find a beautiful macaroni art that you would be happy to display in your home, but lord, $20 is too much to pay for macaroni art. Even in that case, you're going to weigh the value of what's being offered. You've got multiple factors to consider - it's made by a child, it's for a fundraiser, you really do like it quite a bit, you want to encourage an aspiring artist, etc. Knowing all of that, do you choose to ignore those factors and tell the kid they'll sell more macaroni art if they lower the price, do you hand over the $20, do you choose to walk away? Something else entirely? Do you treat that situation the same as walking into an established shop and buying a painting to put on your wall? Does it matter? I think that it does.

30 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I take the use of "force" here as adding an emotional loading that isn't particularly appropriate. No force is involved in asking for something different than what the project creator has offered.

It wasn't in response to someone asking for something different, it was in response to someone saying that they would continue "pestering them until they give in"  and that is, actually, an attempt at force in my opinion or at the very least a promise of it. Perhaps both the original statement and my choice of term are hyperbolic, but what synonym for "pester" would be more appropriate? Badger? Harass? Beleaguer? 

38 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

That said, I think that many project runners try to justify their decisions in ways that are unwise: "I don't want to give you exactly what you want because A, B, and C." This invites replies of the form, "But A doesn't apply, I don't care about B, and you could satisfy C in this other way that is ever so much better." The better (IMO) way to handle that would be something like, "We're very happy that you are interested enough in our project to comment. Based on our research and planning, and after examining your suggestion, the current project offerings constitute the best way to satisfy both our business needs and our potential customers. We hope that you see something that you will like enough to support us, but if not we completely understand. Perhaps our retail offerings after the project is complete will work better for you." (Reaper does this fairly well, btw.)

And I would expect that Reaper, a company that has been in business for decades, would be quite experienced with honing their PR responses to give the best answers possible. I would not expect the same from a small business that is just getting started. Again, you have to temper your expectations as the situation dictates.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/23535743/killer-rabbits-medieval-manuscript-art-made-into-m?ref=discovery   About The most unexpected enemy! The cruelest, most vindi

Somehow reminded me of this card.

Plus you can paint one wabbit brown, one wabbit grey, one wabbit black, and one wabbit wit cute widdle spots!     

Posted Images

I've backed down, now that the creator actually answered the question in a better fashion.

I meant my "pestering" post to be playful, and I now understand it wasn't interpreted as such. I was not expecting attacks on me personally, which is what this conversation has felt like.

I am only posting this because I feel like I need to defend myself. I am in tears here. This is not an exaggeration or me trying to gain pity support. I just want this conversation to end already.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I've backed down, now that the creator actually answered the question in a better fashion.

I meant my "pestering" post to be playful, and I now understand it wasn't interpreted as such. I was not expecting attacks on me personally, which is what this conversation has felt like.

I am only posting this because I feel like I need to defend myself. I am in tears here. This is not an exaggeration or me trying to gain pity support. I just want this conversation to end already.

My posts were not intended as personal attacks, I'm sorry that you felt that they were. Your comments simply kicked off what I view as a lively debate regarding crowdfunding, small businesses and customer expectations. I'm sorry if you took my disagreement with what you said to be a personal attack. Doug and I could argue with a fence post but sometimes find it more interesting to argue with each other and your comments served as catalyst for that argument.

• Like 1

As a public service, Jasper's Home for Wayward Wabbits is willing to expand its warrens to ensure a safe home for all unwanted rabbits, hares and bunnies. While there they will be kept well fed, trained in the use of their "great sharp pointy teeth" and eventually permitted to rain havoc on a certain Sir Robin (who had personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill)...and there will be great rejoicing....

4 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

An army.

There *are* backers on Dakka who are fielding wabbit armies. I mean, the wascally bweeders -- er, breeders -- have plenty of lagomorphs to recruit!

So if any of you want to split a pledge, give this a try. : https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/764361.page

$15,000 reached today, and the next stretch goal unlocked!  

While I am not a fan of the monk being flayed, I like the new hunting dog set, and the wee rabbits and snail will be cute to use.  I'm also liking the look of all the new greens they've posted.

• Like 3

Wow, they hit the $17.000 stretch goal today (which is also the last one showing)!  And there's still 3 days left.  It will be interesting to see if they put up another stretch goal or not.  

Who would have thought this project would have been so popular! 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Shpam said:

Apparently they’re not going to put any other stretch goal (they said it in the comments).

Yes, I saw that after I posted.  Sad. ::(:    While I certainly understand the success caught them off guard,  I would have loved to have seen the rabbit-crewed trebuchet they showed on the Kickstarter page become a miniature

• Like 1

I, for one, certainly appreciate that almost all of the greens are complete before the KS ends.  Gives everyone a good idea of what is on the way!  i also sort of like the simpler art.  I might be able to paint up these pretty quickly and have a party encounter with a bunch of medieval lagomorphs one dark and stormy night...

• 4 months later...