Sign in to follow this  
Limey72

Sealer and aquarium question

My wife bought me a 10 gallon fish tank and I have some cool underwater themed bones minis does anyone know of a sealer that would make them safe for an aquarium environment, safe for the fish and protect the paint ????  I personally have no idea if there is anything out there any replies very welcomed.

35 minutes ago, Limey72 said:

My wife bought me a 10 gallon fish tank and I have some cool underwater themed bones minis does anyone know of a sealer that would make them safe for an aquarium environment, safe for the fish and protect the paint ????  I personally have no idea if there is anything out there any replies very welcomed.

Bones are PVC, which is generally safe for an aquarium, so I wouldn't worry too much about the mini itself.  It's no guarantee, but I can personally attest to tossing (washed) hardware store PVC pipe into a tank with no adverse effects. Bones have a slightly different formula, but I would guess that they are more likely to be safe than unsafe.

Paint is much trickier, as acrylics are not formulated with submersion in mind. I suspect that sealer will not form a perfect layer, so anything that might leach into the water could still do that. I'm guessing that acrylic paint can survive pretty well underwater, although a lot of fish will also pick at the decorations, and might wear down the paint and sealer as well.

I think my answer is "maybe, but it's a bit of a risk".

• Like 3

I found a Blog post that talks about DIY aquarium decorations.  I cannot tell if it is a commerce site, so I will PM the link.

• Like 4