TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

3 hours ago, Sanael said:

In actual execution, I love the "Zen trance" of the hobby

This.  So much this. 

Hubby says that's the biggest reason why he supports me so much with it, since it's one of the few things that really does make the world melt away for me.... Even if sometimes assembly or cleaning mold lines leaves me with a cramped paw...  Skaven heads are soooo small! 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A pickle jar, really? What... where was I going with that?

You were recycling. 

But the question is: “as what?”  Guesses would be: water container (to dip the tip of the sculpting implement in), rinse jar (it snuck out of the Painting area), or possibly as a large radius rolling pin (for making thin sheets of putty) ...hard to be sure :huh:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 15: What aspect of the hobby do you like the most, i.e., the thing that lifts you up and keeps you going through the rough spots.

So, I'm kind of suprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but I zone out looking through new miniatures for sale. Imagining what I could do with them, how they would paint up, what kind of stories I could tell with them. It keeps me interested in the hobby when painting just doesn't work out. Also, I wind up with lots of things I am excited about working on when I do get back to painting. 

• Like 10

This is a hard thing to pick just 1, so I'm not going to! Instead here are some of the things.

1. The people, it's been a while since I've had good community and when we pair that with social anxiety it becomes a problem. With painting I can sit around and enjoy the company of others while not being dependant on them like the case of dancing. 

2. I can participate in as little or as much as I want, and I can learn as little or as much as I want. It's interesting I would have thought college was supposed to be the time I learned how to learn, but it wasn't. I was always one of those kids who figure out how to do a lot of things easily and then stopped when the learning gets hard. With painting there are challenges that I can participate in to benchmark my growth, but I'm not required to do so which makes it so for once I'm actually able to learn what I want and be self driven and is super refreshing. I found I'm learning more. 

3. The joy factor. I don't really have a purpose in life so the closest thing I can think of is to fill the world with little sparks of joy. There's something about someone saying "oh that's so cool" , or "you painted this for me? It's perfect!" That really makes my day 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Sanael said:

I love the "Zen trance" of the hobby

I first read this as "Zentrance," like entrance and was expecting you to mention the awesome people in the hobby (both IRL and, more specifically, on the forums).

• Like 6

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 15: What aspect of the hobby do you like the most, i.e., the thing that lifts you up and keeps you going through the rough spots.

The big thing for me is being able to zone out and just art. I started the hobby as, unintentionally, a grieving mechanism. I'll zone out and not have to think about those things. Then the second thing is feedback. I love hearing how people react to my work. It really makes me feel good when I feel not so good about something, especially a piece that I don't find good.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:
7 hours ago, Sanael said:

In actual execution, I love the "Zen trance" of the hobby

This.  So much this. 

Hubby says that's the biggest reason why he supports me so much with it, since it's one of the few things that really does make the world melt away for me.... Even if sometimes assembly or cleaning mold lines leaves me with a cramped paw...  Skaven heads are soooo small! 

There's a... it isn't pleasure or joy or even satisfaction, it's that oneness with the project that's amazing. But that isn't what gets me through the rough spots. The rough spots are the times I can't reach that zen. 

When I'm hitting one of those hobby rough spots it's usually a sign that I've hit some sort of technical or creative roadblock. This often manifests in a really messy & cluttered workspace. What helps me work through that is clearing it off and working on something else. Something EASY. Something I can get DONE! And done quickly. Being able to look at something that I've finished is a great feeling. Even better is looking at minis I was really proud of 2, 5, 10+ years ago, and seeing the progress I've made. 

• Like 9

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Bringing these awesome little statues to life with paint. Most of the minis I paint are characters, and even the ones who don't have player characters end up with some sort of back story while I paint them.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 16: Do you use algebra or other advanced mathematics in your life and, if so, what for?

No; algebra, trig, & calculus have never been used. They did teach me to think in different ways. Mental adaptability is a plus in life.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 16: Do you use algebra or other advanced mathematics in your life and, if so, what for?

If I do then it is purely coincidence!

I hate Math.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I've always hand technical jobs, so I've always used some form of higher math, but the amount has changed from role to role. 

When I worked in engineering I used more geometry and trig.  When I switched to software development algebra was dominant.  Today, I mostly use statistics. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not really. I mean, occasionally by virtue of having an expert witness testifying to something that required it, but that's more me trying to translate what she says into English for the jury.

Though as I think about it, I would tend to separate algebra from advanced mathematics (the latter being more of what I believe the question is asking for). Algebra, to me, is a fairly broad aspect of mathematics but is really only the first step above (again imho) standard multiplication/division and addition/subtraction. To that end, I probably use it more than I realize without even really thinking about it. I've certainly used things like 3x + 4 = 13 whether in games or whatnot and to me, at least as it was taught around these parts, that's the simplest form of "algebra". I can't say that I have a specific use per se for these, just that I imagine I do it without thinking about it a lot of the time.

That said, geometry, calculus and the like, yeah, not so much, except, again for the rare occasion when I need to understand the basics of it for a trial (but that's pretty rare).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1