TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 5, 6, 7: Weekend Quest

What is the oldest, rarest, and/or most valuable mini you own?

Have you painted it?
Find said mini (painted or not), take a picture, and post it here for us to admire.

I don't know about "old" or "rare" but there's only one mini I spent over $100 on ever.

The Great God [redacted]

Ydersius.thumb.png.2a48d0d6c881062b5025d6bb716bc310.png

Minions not included in that price.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2018 at 3:08 AM, TGP said:

Belated Question For Oct 3rd: What did you do while the Forum was Away?

twitch uncontrollably

On 10/4/2018 at 8:17 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 4: Almost all children draw for fun...but most kids give it up at some point; did you? If so when?

If not post a picture of a recent work for us to enjoy. (TGP)

I would lever give up drawing. Just yesterday our insurance company gave us some great pens and I drew me a Stussy doodle.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

I dont remember when I quit drawing but it was way too early.  I watch a lot of YT videos of animators and it makes me really regret not learning to draw. 

My oldest daughter is really into drawing.  She even makes her own comics and sells them at school for $.25 so she is an aspiring artist and entrepreneur. 

If anyone knows of any good beginning animation books or videos for her I would appreciate any recommendation!

Eeee! She sounds amazing! ^_^ I love that you're encouraging it!

All of the books I use are pretty realistic, but @Rainbow Sculptor has an animation book that she loved so much, it's literally in pieces now. Hopefully she can pop in with the name.

--

I don't have any truly rare minis. Maybe a couple Sophies that I've gotten during the Christmas events. :) 

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I love drawing. I have virtually no formal training, but I taught myself to draw by copying other drawings, especially animals I found in my World Book Encyclopedia (yes, back in my youth, Wikipedia came in dead tree form and was only updated once a year, and updates required an additional subscription! And only certain people could make updates! Both ways! In the snow!)

I know of at least two tattoos based on my drawings of dragons in high school. I feel sorry for those people now, but it was pretty great back then.

I draw a lot of things for my Eberron games now. Most recent finished piece is this map of a chunk of Q'barra. Pencil drawing, inked with sharpie pen and colored with Prismacolor markers. Laminated to allow for players making notes, since this is the map Morgrave gave the PCs.

IMG_20181005_070509912.thumb.jpg.41dfe724590fce9cf3a5466a4f38b27f.jpg

For the weekend quest, I'll do some digging and come back...

• Like 8

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Have you painted it?
Find said mini (painted or not), take a picture, and post it here for us to admire.

I still own the first miniature I bought, my best guess is 1979ish (probably 4th or 5th grade). It was a Tom Meier elf for Partha. It's...see better days. At some point I want to paint the new cast from the KS...

1st_Meier.JPG

As far as rare minis, I have a few artist-cast or small run minis from a few people. My KD metal white speaker is fairly rare. I have some cool McVey minis from their unfortunately short run, some that never made it into production that I got as a prize for their only painting contest. Also I have a few non-commercial minis from KD:M in resin.

Most valuable, not sure. Probably an older KD mini, the Scribe or something. 

• Like 8

On 10/4/2018 at 8:17 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 4: Almost all children draw for fun...but most kids give it up at some point; did you? If so when?

If not post a picture of a recent work for us to enjoy. (TGP)

I doodle all the time, but it tends to geometrical figures.  I stopped drawing for fun most of the time in middle school, maybe? That’s getting on for a long time ago.  I’ve done maps for games since then, and I’ve been fooling around lately with colored pencils and wargame sketches:

9E772359-FABA-4617-94CE-8ACA9A5D4152.thumb.jpeg.b94a22635503fc0c392820150ac76e4d.jpeg

Have you painted it?

Oldest? In terms of how long I’ve owned it, when it was manufactured, or when it was sculpted?

In terms of owning it, my first fantasy figures were Minifigs Mythical Earth figures obtained around 1974/5.  I don’t have too many of them that have always been in my collection, but this trio, a large ent, a large huorn, and a small ent, are among them.

6AE1AABD-D6C1-4DA5-A564-7A7071323AC5.thumb.jpeg.d483bf2033fedcbd8a100a44884f1c3d.jpeg

If you don’t restrict it to metal, I have one surviving Marx Viking I got for Christmas when I was about 6, so sometime in the mid-1960s.

053092B2-2E27-4530-85B2-2B7BC7C95217.thumb.jpeg.99e09f37df0daa99d601804eae5f1496.jpeg

He even appeared on a battlefield within the past couple of years, although as a Frostgrave statue rather than as a combatant.

I’ve also been painting some Airfix 1/72 scale Robin Hood figures this year, including some that I know are ones I bought in the early ‘70s rather than more recent recasts (i.e., around 2000):

E1CA4723-AB9A-4FDF-B804-3B98D99FA188.thumb.jpeg.4714b799dd5aa775a72c2e92cd412ea6.jpeg

As for rare or valuable, well, I don’t really know.

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

I still own the first miniature I bought, my best guess is 1979ish (probably 4th or 5th grade). It was a Tom Meier elf for Partha. It's...see better days. At some point I want to paint the new cast from the KS.... 

Those CS (or 02-) elves are still beautiful sculpts, and I’m glad to see them avaialble again, even if I do have pretty much as many as I need.

• Like 5

Have you painted it?

I don't have any particularly old minis.

On the rare/valuable front, it would probably be one of my Kingdom Death resin minis, although they aren't particularly rare or valuable either.

I think this guy is the rarest of the ones I still own:-

gKiy4R3.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Have you painted it?

This is not my oldest, but is probably my rarest.  Certainly the pride and joy of my old school collection.  Digging it out was no small chore.  It was in the bottom of a footlocker, at the very bottom of my mountain of metal.  #2910 of 5300 produced.

20181005_144813.thumb.jpg.3b74f19079effb99e465f60d26a1688d.jpg

• Like 9

I don't know that I have any particularly rare or valuable minis.  I have a bunch of 90s era GW ones, but I don't know if any of them are particularly sought after.   I've got a bunch of 90s era Ral Partha figures, too - most by Sandra Garrity or Julie Guthrie - but again, no idea if they're rare or valuable. 

Do a couple of 2007 RCon Sophies count? 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Have you painted it?

The oldest would be the Grenadier Females box set that I picked up off of Ebay back when I first started painting.  IIRC it was produced in 1980.  To my knowledge I don't have anything produced in the 70s.  The one's I've painted and posted are:

post-13211-0-97679000-1423449574.jpgpost-13211-0-95170300-1423935692.jpgpost-13211-0-36470500-1424037355.jpgpost-13211-0-46504300-1442125348.jpg59b9ec77814a5_Dwarf1.jpg.da7088ccbafb313608ed71aa0aa5a7be.jpg

The rarest... I'm not sure.  I have some "limited" edition minis that had production runs of 500 or under.

The most valuable is tricky as well since I don't pay much attention to the secondhand market.  Maybe one of my rare ones has gained in value.  I have a few with a MSRP of over $100 but have generally managed to find such minis on sale.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Have you painted it?

The closest thing to rare/valuable I have are zombicide minis from the KS that were add ons. Or they were at one time anyway.

• Like 5

Have you painted it?

Uhh... I'm in the office so I'll need to be pestered about pictures. 

Oldest? I have some of my dad's old lead figures from the early 80s. Some of the painted ones may even be from before that. 

My own? I have a strangely angular Ral Partha dragon, and the Ral Partha ballista hiding in the boxes. 

Rarest? Hrm. I have a Guild of Harmony steampunk Mary Poppins & Alfred. Limited run on those. Have Atomico's goblin king set, which had only a few dozen cast last year. 

Most valuable? Perhaps a large Reaper metal dragon, which I intend to paint for the person who gave it to me to enjoy painting. Otherwise, I have to paint the Sherlock stuff for my friend (most valuable is a gift, huh). For myself? Nocturna's "Farewell". I love that figure and it scares the heck out of me. 

I have thought about painting all of these. Strongly considered. And then I put primer on something else like a big ol' wimp. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Zink said:
9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Have you painted it?

Not 100% sure but maybe the GW Goblobber catapult set. The wife loves dwarves and when she first came to Canada we started collecting some for her to paint. She really liked the old GW stuff from the 80s and it took me a bit of searching and buying individual pieces to finally get her the complete set. She painted it up and I can get a photo later. She's a pretty decent painter but I think I scared her off when her couple handfuls of minis bloomed into a full army. She says she wants to paint again but it's been a lot of years since she has. That hasn't stopped me from buying more minis for her:poke:

Took a pic.

IMG_6231.thumb.JPG.3975418bf5949e7aa003f36279f58a30.JPG

• Like 11

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Have you painted it?

My oldest are these Citadel Fantasy Tribe skellies that my parents got for me in 1983:

Old+Skellies.jpg

Finally got around to painting them this year :p

My first painted miniature was an Asgard barbarian that came with a variety of weapons to put in his (horribly miscast) hands. No pictures though - the paintjob is no big whoop.

Rarest? I don't know... Space Slann? "Kinky Chaosette"? All unpainted of course, but i have recently primed a few of the Slann, and I hope to start my Chaos project next year...

• Like 6