Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 4: Almost all children draw for fun...but most kids give it up at some point; did you? If so when?

If not post a picture of a recent work for us to enjoy. (TGP)

I've never been very good at drawing.  Some of this is simply a lack of practice.  It was never a high enough priority for my time.  So I stopped doing anything close to drawing (except for mapmaking for RPs) around the time I stopped taking mandated art classes.

I have been considering taking a drawing class but it's still low on my priority list.  (I barely have enough time to paint, it seems.)

• Like 4

Oct 4: Almost all children draw for fun...but most kids give it up at some point; did you? If so when?

It has been awhile, but I am still a sketcher. I did a series of cartoon/caricatures of my AD&D associates misadventures in prism colors for years.

That dropped off when I no longer participated, but it never has completely stopped. Now I'm thinking of doing sketches of my Last Hurrah project.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Belated Question For Oct 3rd: What did you do while the Forum was Away?

Same answer, actually. All day training yesterday. I doodle to keep my mind from being distracted with other words. That started breaking down about 3:00 when I started making game notes. 

15386627030914345738930411733124.thumb.jpg.cb354bffc53acc6b210550ee73889441.jpg

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I'm thinking of doing sketches of my Last Hurrah project.

What a SPLENDID idea that is. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I didn't give it up, though I don't draw constantly now. This is the last thing I drew:

image.thumb.jpg.644a2e5a1bd11e3b8164042105d4bdde.jpg

Specifically, those mountains on the right.

• Like 9

Oct 4: Almost all children draw for fun...but most kids give it up at some point; did you?

I continue to draw...

If not post a picture of a recent work for us to enjoy. 

This really isn’t recent:

C77C169C-F2CD-4895-8172-E4190FD98139.jpeg.2a02a3604e6182d3b41c8c93e7c558fb.jpeg

...or finished. But it was close at hand and thus easily snapshotted. It was recently rediscovered in an old sketchbook. This led to three additional discoveries. The faint pencil lines are not really pencil(1). Using a Black Sharpie over the top of a Silver Sharpie does.not.work.(2). When the only light source on the drawing is raking across at a low angle the falloff in reflected light across the Silver Sharpie Paint is dramatic(3).

• Like 11

I never really drew as a kid, in fact my fine motor skills were terrible to the point that in 7th grade the teacher realized I couldn't read my own handwriting. In the evaluation they told me I had the fine motor skills of a 5 year old and gave me a keyboard with a 4 line screen (alphasmart) to use for classes and standardized tests. I guess I got past that now since I can paint minis and because of a book recommended at ReaperCon have been sketching, like the skulls below.

IMG_20181001_221339.jpg

• Like 14

Like others, I gave up some time in elementary school.

I still doodled in highschool, but the quality wasn't any better than what I did before that, and it's hard to say I was improving much. One of my regrets from college is that I never decided to sign up for even the introductory visual arts class when I had the chance. At the time, I wasn't all that interested in the general survey and foundational work, but boy do I wish I had.

I got back into somewhat more intentional sketching and drawing a few years ago by taking a short drawing class at Boston's Museum of Fine Arts, which was both instructional and motivating. Since then,  I have been trying to get some art time in, especially after watching the hard work and careful practice put in by @CashWiley and @Morihalda. Unfortunately, right as I am on board with trying to set aside specific time for practice in an organized fashion, all of my time has been sucked up by the rest of my professional and personal life.

I am hoping to get something on track, even if it's just 30 minutes a day, towards the end of the year. We'll see.

In terms of recent art to share, this is something I sketched while trying to learn to use some new software on my tablet. (I started it during an animated discussion of extreme sport fishing as part of a Sci-Fi role playing session.)

glaive.jpg

I give you the Dakosian "Glaive fish". The image is a purely digital work.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Growing up, I was the one who drew the most in the family. I used the reverse pages of leftover documents my father brought home (also did a lot of math homework with those blocks of papers). Most of the time, I was drawing while watching TV.

Later in life, it was mostly countless doodles in class notebooks.

I kind of "gave it up" when the Internet became a thing. My "idle" hands are now always busy typing or handling a mouse. And doodling during meetings isn't very professional looking, though the occasional drawing still appears in my notes.

Now as to what I was drawing. My boy brain with a penchant for engineering had recurring themes. Giant robots; race cars; mazes; Escher type illusions. Of course, when I started playing D&D, I drew maps and representations of my characters.

A unique recurring theme I had was drawing "real time" space invasions. A hostile space fleet is attacking my underground base! Deploy laser cannons!

• On blank sheet of paper, I drew a jagged line to represent mountain range near the bottom quarter of the page, usually with one side climbing higher.
  • Then I'd draw gun turrets in most of the nooks and crannies of my mountain range. By gun turret, I mean a circle arc with a rectangle poking through, pointing in random directions. Often, I would have one much larger (and fancier looking) main cannon, connected to an underground energy crystal (shaped like a diamond of course)
  • The invasion fleet (heavily inspired from the baddies from UFO Robot Grendizer) was tons of randomly placed little circles, to which I added tiny winglets and "t" shaped tail fins, also pointing in random directions. A couple of much larger circles were "boss" ships.
  • Then I'd take a ruler... and the battle began!
  • I'd draw a straight line from each cannon and ship in the direction they were pointing. Everywhere the line fell, an explosion occurred.
  • I'd scribble an explosion over every ship that got hit by the laser, and the same for everything on the ground.
  • If by any chance, one explosion touched another ship/cannon. That ship/cannon would also explode!
  • The larger the ship/cannon, the larger the explosion. So you can imagine the sort of chain reaction that would easily occur.

By the end, I'd have over half of the page covered in squiggly explosions. If anything survived, I added more cannons until the space fleet got defeated, but at tremendous cost. Especially if the energy diamond got caught in an explosion, and also exploded, for it was made of... explosive energy.

In the end, I spent a half-hour of action filled drawing, with a beginning, middle, and end of a story.

With the right programming skills, I could make a screen saver or mini flash game out of this.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

For me, I supposed this was at some point during my teens.  I would also say that "for fun" was replaced by just the need for a creative outlet.

Generic drawing shifted to creating maps for D&D.  Then came school and professional career.  I first studied engineering and drafting, so maps shifted to mechanical drawings and construction plans.

Then I got bit by the I.T. bug, and went back to school for Computer Science.  Writing code became the creative outlet.

At this stage in my life, I no longer write code full time, so painting fills the gaps that drawing and all the other stuff has over the years. 

• Like 7

On 10/1/2018 at 2:39 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 1: What is your favorite soup? (or top 3 if you are a soupiphile like me and cannot choose)

(based on a question by Inarah)

Erwtensoep

https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-dutch-split-pea-soup-1129011

Goulashsoep

https://www.thespruceeats.com/zsolts-hungarian-goulash-soup-recipe-1136684

Bruine Bonen Soep

https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-dutch-brown-bean-soup-1129040

On 10/2/2018 at 6:00 PM, Guindyloo said:

It's nearly 11am CST so I'm going to go ahead and ask today's question on @TaleSpinner's behalf:

Oct 2: If you didn't ever have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?

Paint, Eat, Redacted, Walk, Cook.

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Well I was on vacation...

Hmm...So I was away and the forum was away..

Now I'm back and the forum is back.

Ergo - I'm the forum?

Or...

If I'm not there, does the forum still exists?

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, TGP said:

We had about 5 inches of wet heavy snow so I spent the day in the house. Much like some of the others I spent a large part of the day checking to see if the forum was working. Other than that watched tv, babysat, read other forums and even managed to squeeze in about an hour of painting.

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Deja vu. Seems like I answered this not long ago. :upside:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Celianailo said:

I guess I got past that now since I can paint minis and because of a book recommended at ReaperCon have been sketching, like the skulls below.

Which book is that?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Still a bit of a doodler, but the I haven't done any proper drawing since my teens.

Mostly, they were maps and (very childlike) illustrations for the 'choose your own adventure' books I used to write, when I stopped writing them I stopped drawing too.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I was in a Monart class studio from about age 4 to age 16 (started volunteering there in the end too). Did an awful lot of drawing back then. Teacher was awesome and let me draw from D&D books. Did a 2D design class with some small amounts of drawing at the community college. Since then I haven't done much. I did some more drawings out of D&D books a few years ago. 

I never stopped enjoying drawing. I just got caught up doing other things instead and now am super rusty.

• Like 5