Sign in to follow this  
Pancakeonions

New to CAV, looking for reviews and "intro to" type details

I'm a sucker for big stompy robots, and the current (third?) kickstarter looks pretty darn cool.  Are there any good reviews out there that give a nice summary for the game?

I also have a few quick questions:

• Does it use a hex grid, or rulers?
  • I don't see any infantry in this KS, or previous ones (just looked quickly though), how often do you use infantry in your games?  What's their battlefield role? 
  • The vehicles also look super cool.  How often do you see them on the battlefield, and do they have their own cards too (ie, become weaker as they take  damage)?  
  • Related to that: does every figure on the board get a card, or just the big stompy robots?  How are vehicles, aircraft, troops, etc. treated in the game? 
  • What's the initiative deck for, in the starter set?
  • How many factions are there?  I'm thinking of backing the $100 pledge, but really just want figures for two factions.  It looks like the current KS base pledge is just for two factions (that's good IMO!)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Pancakeonions
  • Like 3

Some of the grizzled vets could probably provide much better answers than I so I will let them. I'm sure they will be along shortly. But in the meantime, Welcome!!

I will be sure and check back later tonight (when I'm not at work) in case nobody else responds. I'd hate to leave you hanging out there.

Thanks, I just watched the ~30m video example of gameplay on the KS page, so I have a rough idea of how it plays.

Still curious to hear what the roll of tanks, aircraft, infantry etc (the non robot-y units!) is.  I loved that part of mechwarrior (the old click game), and would hope CAV might capture that combined arms aspect a little.  Also, he used dice for initiative, instead of the deck 

• Like 1

You can get the quick start rules, faction lists, data cards, and useful construction programs here: https://www.talon-games.com/downloads/

CAV: Strike Operations is the 3rd edition of the game.  If you're searching the web for information about the current version, you may need to check the date or look for "Strike Operations" as only the 3rd edition is named that.

CAV:SO is open table top.  Arcs of fire are done in 90 degree increments, as are facing changes.

I've found infantry useful in several ways: "hard chargin" (via a transport vehicle) something that is not well equipped to deal with infantry, capturing an objective and digging in (also recommended using a transport to get there), or giving them mortars and staying at a distance.

Vehicles can be used in the same roles as CAVs (attack, fire support, recon, etc).  Light vehicles can hide behind small hills and be sneaky.  Or if you want, tanks can be just as big and mean as CAVs.

Every unit gets a data card.  CAVs, vehicles, aircraft, infantry.  They all use the damage track and get weaker as they take damage.

The initiative deck is for determining turn order.  One player gets red, the other black, with one card per unit.  When your card flips over you get to activate a unit.  Otherwise it's just a regular deck of cards so you can sub any deck in.

There are seven factions currently, plus an "independent" option if you want to play something like mercenaries or pirates.   You can find a list of models for every faction on the same webpage as the one with the quick start rules.

Edited by Jeneki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeneki said:

I've found infantry useful in several ways: "hard chargin" (via a transport vehicle) something that is not well equipped to deal with infantry, capturing an objective and digging in (also recommended using a transport to get there), or giving them mortars and staying at a distance.

At the risk of derailing the thread, is there a CAV scene in the Twin Cities?

Non-CAV's definitely have a place on the battlefield!  They help to expand your numbers and present you with more options.  Some vehicles, aircraft, and infantry can perform SA:Pop-up, which allows them to rise up one level higher and fire, then lower back down into cover.  Traditional tanks still have to be chewed through, and Jeneki outlined infantry's usefulness as well.  CAV was designed to be a fully combined arms game, and just "grabbing some robots and I'll win" doesn't necessarily work in the game! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bold said:

At the risk of derailing the thread, is there a CAV scene in the Twin Cities?

Check with your FLGS, if not then there's never been a better time than now to start one. You and a few can go in on the Kickstarter together and get a core set or two and get starter!

16 hours ago, Pancakeonions said:

I also have a few quick questions:

I think people have answered most of your questions now, but just incase anything got lost in the shuffle, I went through with a quick answer line-by-line.

• Does it use a hex grid, or rulers?
  • Rulers, commonly I see tape measures and rulers for shorter distances where a tape measure would be unruly
  • I don't see any infantry in this KS, or previous ones (just looked quickly though), how often do you use infantry in your games?  What's their battlefield role? 
  • @CAVBOSS has said that the infantry will not be converted to plastic, they are small enough that its more cost effective to cast them in metal than it would be to machine the expensive moulds for plastic, that is why they are not in the Kickstarters, but they are available on the web store or reaper's store
  • The vehicles also look super cool.  How often do you see them on the battlefield, and do they have their own cards too (ie, become weaker as they take  damage)?  
  • They are very awesome and a few players even base entire strategies around them (ahem:chieftains) they have their own cards and everything just like other units
  • Related to that: does every figure on the board get a card, or just the big stompy robots?  How are vehicles, aircraft, troops, etc. treated in the game? 
  • Every unit gets a card, many people only print a single card per unit type though (if you have 4 Dictators on the board you would just use the one card for all 4)
  • What's the initiative deck for, in the starter set?
  • randomizing turn order, makes for an interesting dynamic when you don't know who will go next until the card flips
  • How many factions are there?  I'm thinking of backing the $100 pledge, but really just want figures for two factions.  It looks like the current KS base pledge is just for two factions (that's good IMO!)
  • This kickstarter is only dealing with these two factions, so no worries there, but there are others out there. Terran, Rach, Adon, and Amirithil all have a pretty good selection available in plastic from previous kickstarters, the others have a few but older models can sometimes be found on ebay and such in the old metal (these are more expensive)
  • Like 2