Eventually I'd like to make a river and I'm thinking that some ponds/swamps might be good practice.

Cut out some 1/2" Foam.

Swamp_1.thumb.jpg.52483322d67b7a772da418f06b53017a.jpg

Then I got out my (perhaps too large) butane  torch to burn in some ponds.  I think I got a bit close to the edge with these.

Swamp_2.thumb.jpg.fec5969799784a7a0fecf48e0bca3b30.jpg

Some swampy ground with smaller pools of water.

Swamp_3.thumb.jpg.5ab652fbdc88bd52dfe75a3c0595693e.jpg

Now I'm waiting on both some XPS foam to give these a sturdier base and some resins for the water effects.  I guess I should also look into how to make some reeds.

• Like 8
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking really good. I've done something similar a couple times using acetone to make the indents. The torch is probably faster but acetone's pretty quick too. Want to make more but it's been lower priority than other stuff.

• Like 2

Poured some resin.  The long cure time takes a bit getting used to compared to 5 minute epoxy.  Bubbles seemed to come mostly from the "algae" and the blowtorch seemed better than using a straw to exhale CO2.

Swamp_5.thumb.jpg.055a758f897fea13d9cc3d8d0b3eb14d.jpg

I had two different dye setups.  The darker was using black brown and green ink.  The clearer was blue and green food color.  I think that whatever is more realistic, it's more fun to have the clear water.  I'll aim for something in between next time.

Also thinking about whether it would be better to flock the ground after the resin cures so it does't get soaked up out of the pools as much.

• Like 12
On 10/21/2019 at 3:18 AM, lowlylowlycook said:

Swamp_5.thumb.jpg.055a758f897fea13d9cc3d8d0b3eb14d.jpg

Just saw this and  I have to say very cool.  One suggestion that I have is about adding reeds into the resin.  Added in as they are gives the slow setting resin the opportunity to creep up the stalks.  If you pour the resin, drill into the "water" and then use two part epoxy to glue in the individual stalks it will stop that creep.  Samesies for adding flocking or static grass after the resin.  It will stop the resin creeping into the foliage. 

I wrestled with the creeping resin for over a month on a previous project before I worked out a solution. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I had an idea that some needles from a small dollar store Christmas tree might hold up to abuse better than the broom bits.  I found out that they don't hold up better to flame.  Haha.  Anyway, here are some more swamp bits drying after their final PVA spraydown.

Swamps_11.thumb.jpg.3e23a5dbc5646263f6c4272fc599ab15.jpg

I'm still bad at estimating how much resin a piece will use and not great at how much ink to add but I will say that they look wet enough that you can't hardly get people to touch them.  BTW these have all been with Evirotex lite.

• Like 7

A friend game me a huge box of Construx since he thought it could be used to make some terrain.  You'd think that it would be good for sci-fi/40K stuff and there are some nice bits but I think me main use might well be to make skeletons for some generic, all purpose ruins.

Ruins_Construx_1.thumb.jpg.171c64fa6d62fab8df2405392f782e55.jpg

Thinking about using e-pvc board instead of foamboard to make these game-store proof.  Then again, foamboard covered with rock textured wallpaper should be quite sturdy.

Looking at this, it would be more playable if I hame the ground floor the tall one so there is room to get minis under the second story floor.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 4