GOT Loot Train Battle Project

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In a fit of madness a friend and I decided to undertake a project to put together a wargame scenario based on the incredible Loot Train battle as featured in Season7, Episode 4 of Game of Thrones. ( S

Lol...thanks, Rat13!  Hopefully all our players will be as appreciative as you when their troops get fried!      Here is the finished prototype token.  I have to say, I think it came out pre

Played around today with making a dragon attack casualty marker.     I took an odd sprue of ancient warriors, and assembled a suitable casualty, and glued it to a washer.   I

Posted Images

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments!  

4 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

So how many figures is this going to involve?

We plan on using Feudal Patrol, so its going to be a very scaled down version of the battle.  Our initial plan is for a 6 player game with the goal of eventual expansion to 8 players.

Our initial order of battle (6 player version) calls for 72 for the Lannister/Tarley Force, and 60 Dothraki.  Plus of course, one dragon with rider.  ::):

In other news, after studying the juxtaposition of the above two photos, I realized I just wasn't happy with the bottom half of the figure.  So, this morning, I redid it to include the metal strapping like on the lower portion of the TV armor.  I think it looks a little better, and helps visually balance all the gold on top..

fullsizeoutput_3cfc.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 14
5 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Well, 130 figures will keep you busy for a few days. ::D:

Well, Greg is my partner in crime, so my share should only be 65. ::D:  

There's a reason why we are giving ourselves a year to complete it. ::P:

The foot troops shouldn't be too much of a problem, but neither of us are looking forward to facing the 60 cavalry figures. 

• Like 3

This afternoon I felt inspired, so I worked on cobbling together a flight stand for a dragon.   The idea is to have it camouflaged to be the dragon's fire attack.    I got the styrofoam cone from the Dollar Tree, and had an old lead weight that I put inside.  Not sure how will be best for us to mount the dragon, so I left lots of overhand wire to play with.  Ideally I’d like to just drill a hole in its mouth and stick the wire in, but not sure we could guarantee the dragon wouldn't just flip upside down; so we may need to make some sort of cradle for it to sit in. 

The front flat side is 3”, as I think that will be a good size for the dragon’s attack to cover at the scale of the battle we're doing.

I’m not totally happy with the angle, as I wish it were a little more sloped.  I may carve the styrofoam a little to give it a more angled appearance.

fullsizeoutput_3d02.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3d03.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3d04.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 10

Played around today with making a dragon attack casualty marker.  

I took an odd sprue of ancient warriors, and assembled a suitable casualty, and glued it to a washer.

fullsizeoutput_3d18.jpeg

I then spray primed the whole thing black, and when dry, drybrushed it with a little light grey.

fullsizeoutput_3d17.jpeg

I then added some flames with a little hot glue.  Now I just need to paint the flames and add some basing material, then give a coat of Testor's Dullcote.

fullsizeoutput_3d19.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 16

Even without paint I can picture just how brutal that is going to look. If someone placed something like that when I got hit with a fire breath I probably wouldn't even be mad, I'd be too busy admiring the casualty token.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, Rat13 said:

Even without paint I can picture just how brutal that is going to look. If someone placed something like that when I got hit with a fire breath I probably wouldn't even be mad, I'd be too busy admiring the casualty token.

Lol...thanks, Rat13!  Hopefully all our players will be as appreciative as you when their troops get fried!   

Here is the finished prototype token.  I have to say, I think it came out pretty well for as simple as it was to do.  

fullsizeoutput_3d40.jpeg

• Like 18
15 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

that's somewhat gruesome.  And cool. 

Thanks.  I don’t lean towards this kind of thing myself; as you say, it’s pretty gruesome; but since similar things were shown in scenes in the episode,  I thought it was appropriate to help my players feel more like they were recreating what they saw when watching the show.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4