Sign in to follow this  
VanStatten

Painting Khanjira but in The Tarrasque Colors

I have just put together my Khanjira: the World Breaker. I'm new to the world of painting, I would like to paint him in the color scheme or the Tarrasque from the Monster Manual 5th Edition. Would any of you know the colors/ names/ SKU codes/ Product numbers and brushes I would need for this project. I've looked into 2 Reaper Bones Starter Kits on Amazon... one for painting and one for dry brushing. I imagine they won't have all the colors I need. So any help would be wonderful. Thank you!

Monster_Manual_5e_-_Tarrasque_-_Cory_Trego-Erdner_-_p287.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, will Khanjira be your first mini? That's awesome. I'd have been terrified of painting something that big when I started painting. Go for it!

Ok, so I am one guy on the internet. There are a lot of great advice-givers here, and there are a lot of ways to paint miniatures, so their some salt in with what I'm about to say. Also, I'm assuming you're brand new to painting anything at all, so if I'm giving definitions where you already know a thing, please forgive me)

So, it's a pretty large surface to cover. I might suggest picking up a couple of craft paints for your base coat, just because they're less expensive. Once you've got a full, even basecoat down, using Reaper's paints to hit details and work in highlights and shadows will get good results.

If you don't know, craft paints are the acrylic paint you can find really easily at stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby, common brands are Apple Barrel and Folk Art. They have less pigment density than the paints made specifically for miniatures (so they're cheaper). A lot of miniatures painters use them for larger, less detailed items like terrain. Although you can use them for more detailed work (and many do), the miniatures paint will make the work easier. For a basecoat on something like Khanjira, the craft paints will work pretty well.

As for colors... The big thing is, go with your eye! The main body of the tarrasque looks, to me, like a dark buckskin sort of yellowy-brown, while the armor plates are a rust brown. In actual pigment terms, I think it's a yellow ochre and a burnt sienna scheme. You should be able to find craft paint or student-quality artists acrylics using those terms... For reaper paints, searching buckskin, leather, and rust should find you some good options.

You'll also want a large brush. I would go for a 3/4 inch filbert or flat brush with a good-quality synthetic head for the basecoat, and a #2 round with a natural head for the detail work. 

(Filbert, flat and round are different shapes of brush. Filberts are broad brushes with a rounded tip, flats are broad with a straight edge tip, and rounds are round in cross section with a pointed tip. Most miniatures painting is done with round brushes, but I really like filberts or flats for big-object basecoats. 

Synthetic and natural are types of hair. Golden Taklon is a common synthetic, and Kolinsky Sable is the gold standard for natural brushes. Both have their qualities, but natural is generally considered to be higher quality than synthetic if you're getting the best possible brushes. There's lots of words written on brushes on these forms already, so I'll leave it at that other than to say something this size is pretty hard on brushes, which is why I'd go with the cheaper synthetic s for basecoats)

Depending on how you want to do highlights, I'd get another synthetic flat brush of similar size for drybrushing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Sanael! I have technically painted before, the old Ralph Partha pewter minis when I was a kid AGES ago but even then I hadn't a clue what I was doing... so yeah this is my first 'professional attempt. Professional meaning I want to do it right. So all that seems feasible to start, also the wife loves Hobby lobby so it's a great excuse to o paint shopping. As for colors I was thinking terracotta or a rustic brown... although your colors sound perfect; again thank you. I'll be sure to post updates as long as people bare with me that this is my first out of the gate attempt. lol.  

• Like 1

You might want to take a look at the red hair triad from Reaper.

Sounds strange, but the muted red/orange can help, add a little to the palomino yellow or buckskin and i think you will be able to recreate the colours from the pic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VanStatten said:

I have just put together my Khanjira: the World Breaker. I'm new to the world of painting, I would like to paint him in the color scheme or the Tarrasque from the Monster Manual 5th Edition. Would any of you know the colors/ names/ SKU codes/ Product numbers and brushes I would need for this project. I've looked into 2 Reaper Bones Starter Kits on Amazon... one for painting and one for dry brushing. I imagine they won't have all the colors I need. So any help would be wonderful. Thank you!

A useful tool on Reaper's website is the Power Palette. You upload/link an image, and with a zoom tool, it can create a list of approximate colours from their catalogue.

The tool is slight out of date, as it only showed me the SKU codes and not the names like it used too. But you can get a good ball park idea of the hide and carapace colours, be it the base colour, highlight and shadow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I like how I do this one then I'll paint my C'thulhu mini from Reaper as well... and I am so chomping at the bit for that 2020 release of a 16.5" Cthulhu with the 23" with wingspan.

• Like 4

Just now, gennah-statten said:

Hi guys. The wife of Vanstatten here. We will be posting our Before, during, and afters. Im doing khanjira and hes doing chutulu. We have the kit coming this week!! Very excited!

Hello and welcome to you too! :winkthumbs:

If you want to, we have the Work in Progress (WIP) subforum for those who want to share the evolution of their projects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gennah-statten said:

Hi guys. The wife of Vanstatten here. We will be posting our Before, during, and afters. Im doing khanjira and hes doing chutulu. We have the kit coming this week!! Very excited!

Welcome!

Like mentioned above, post a WIP!

We will be able to follow your progress and advice when you want it.

I for one love to watch people's projects!

• Like 1