EldritchEladrin

Universal Monsters (WIP)

Starting a WIP thread to track the progress on my October project to paint minis for the classic Universal Studios monsters:

20181009_221732.thumb.jpg.6cdc88cc9230bc2d8c3f6eba4b7c5472.jpg

02156:  Mummy of Hakir

03248:  Classic Horror: Dracula

03249:  Classic Horror: The Monster

03250:  Classic Horror: Wolfman

• Like 17

Looking forward! Myself, I'm a fan of the Nefsokar Awakened (14399) as the Mummy--and don't forget the Sea Creature of Blood Reef (50168/77189) or its NSFW genderflipped counterpart, the Water Demon (02133)! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rigel said:

Looking forward! Myself, I'm a fan of the Nefsokar Awakened (14399) as the Mummy--and don't forget the Sea Creature of Blood Reef (50168/77189) or its NSFW genderflipped counterpart, the Water Demon (02133)! 

Thanks!

I briefly considered Creature from the Black Lagoon and Phantom of the Opera, but couldn't find satisfactory minis. Maybe next year! :)

• Like 3

Got started on the mummy. 20181010_132154.thumb.jpg.834ec007b94ba65df9f62cc44da1b70e.jpg

Pretty straightforward basecoat: white linen for the bandages and ghoul skin for the flesh colour. I also mixed up some leather brown and dirty bone be to get the sandstone colour for the base.

Then I hit it with a brown wash:

20181010_140622.thumb.jpg.13604af77c48c8946645d148e2ac6dde.jpg

Instantly aged linens!

Next up: maybe a bit of dry brushing to pull some features out. Maybe add glowing eyes?

• Like 15

Decided to go with Emerald Green (MSP 09103) for the eyes.

20181010_223127.thumb.jpg.348de5d68cb3e237cb397fd740e5210e.jpg

Tried to get a nice close-up, but my zoom/focus is being uncooperative.

20181010_224356.thumb.jpg.f37d8145aa011524d5ad20e17ea3a77e.jpg

Did some touch up on the ghoulish skin and feeling pretty good about it. 

Next steps:

20181010_221805.thumb.jpg.207b6dec9776b092a2a5550610a29213.jpg

Cape n' pants!!

By the way, if anyone has some hallowe'en themed music, I could use some painting soundtrack ideas. Currently on the playlist:

Lullaby - The Cure

Everyday is Halloween - Ministry

Bela Lugosi's Dead - Bauhaus

• Like 15

21 hours ago, EldritchEladrin said:

Currently on the playlist:

Lullaby - The Cure

Everyday is Halloween - Ministry

Bela Lugosi's Dead - Bauhaus

4 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Very nice!, As to themed music, there was an album called Classics from the Crypt, which is a compilation of spooky classical pieces, I think it can still be found on youtube. 

Thanks for the suggestion! Also, I suppose I should also add "Monster Mash" to the list. For posterity.

3 hours ago, AutumnHare said:

And a great job. Beautiful wish red on the cloak. 

Thanks very much! :)

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.