What's your least favourite thing to paint?

:0)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree with Lars Poresenna - Horses. Man, I hate painting horses.

Other than horses, I really hate concealed details. Undersides of capes, handles of swords flush up against the body, tiny little details you're barely going to see but that stick out if you don't take the time to do them.

I guess I just like moderately detailed minis - a few nice details, but not so many that it takes hours to do one mini.

I agree with the badly sculpted eyes.

I also dislike painting weapons in general.

They're always the last thing that gets painted on any of my minis.

I had one miniature sitting on my table for over a week, complete ... save for the weapons.

I'll agree with Lars Poresenna - Horses. Man, I hate painting horses.

Man I love painting horses, it is such a nice departure from the ol' human this and dwarf that. Maybe I should start a horse painting service.

My deal is faces in helmets. I hate them, especially if it is a large helmet and you have very little room to work with.

...I really hate concealed details. Undersides of capes, handles of swords flush up against the body, tiny little details you're barely going to see but that stick out if you don't take the time to do them.

I absolutely loathe trying to get into the corners and crevices of the underside of capes, armor, etc. The lazy part of me wishes I just primed in black and hey...look...it's shadow...But then the obsessive side of me steps in and says no...mix some grey into that <insert primary color or item> and create properly colored shadows.

I also hate painting hands...in general. But I've only been painting for about a year and my blacklining still stinks and wanting to make each finger and nail stand out is a chore. It gets done, but <shudder> takes way too much time.

I am going to start a tribe of ritual double amputee to avoid this issue.

Now that I have discovered flow improver, I am hoping this issue will go away with a bit of practice.

Eyes I don't mind, much and I actually enjoy painting textures.

I also hate painting rooms. The color charts, do your comforters match, the fumes, knocking a gallon of sage green onto a brown carpet...

I think every dislikes those concealed areas of a mini that you can see easy enough but can't quite angle the brush, like the face behind a helmet. I also hate that.

I really hate unsymetrical zones were half is sculpted right and have is not. When there are two bad eyes, I don't like, but I can paint them as if it wasn't really sculpted. I hate when like one eye is perfect and the other eye is badly sculpted or too big or off-center, so there is no possible way you can make them look like matching eyes. It drives me nuts if eyes don't match.

I also dislike painting weapons in general.

They're always the last thing that gets painted on any of my minis.

I had one miniature sitting on my table for over a week, complete ... save for the weapons.

I used to feel that way too. There is something particularily frustrating about finishing the main parts of a mini you've spent already quite some time with, only to have to go back and paint what often is a very plain surface on a weapon (or whiping up a base, for that matter).

That's why I switched to NMM. Now, even after finishing the body of the mini, I no longer think I'm nearly done, since I know the NMM is going to take almost as much as the rest of the mini to get it passable, so I don't get the impulse to just rush the weapons.

As for bases, I too try to make them in advance these days. I have a couple of ready made bases just waiting for the right mini to put in. When my current mini doesn't quite fit with any of them, then I go and make another, as was the case with my Coalshadow mini,(I had two wilderness bases ready to go, one with cork and static grass, and one ash base, but neither of them seemed appropiate, so, I decided to whip out a flagstone one instead)

I hate trying to do *realistic* fur. I want to just drybrush it brown or gray and get it done with, instead of trying to match the look of an animal's pelt.

Insides of mouths are a pain too, trying to mix the right amount of red into the proper amount of raw sienna, then picking out all the teeth in layers of highlighting...bleagh.