Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Das Schwarze Auge 15500b Female Sorcerer, by Pingo

I’m always stunned at your talent for faces.  I can barely get eyebrows in the right spot,  but you’ve managed to even put a shadow in that little divot between nose and upper lip (that has a name I always forget).  ::o:

• Like 1

It all looks so nice -- especially that face, and the subtle blues of the cloth ... but I am positively MESMERIZED by that beautiful deep blue gradient on the shiny glassy orb atop the staff.  :D

• Like 1

She is a WONDERFUL creation. Her LOVELY, expressive face & the magic orb on her staff are high points of a BEAUTIFULLY painted mini. VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Inarah said:

Very nice. I love how you're able to get so much detail on those tiny faces. 

13 hours ago, AutumnHare said:

I’m always stunned at your talent for faces.  I can barely get eyebrows in the right spot,  but you’ve managed to even put a shadow in that little divot between nose and upper lip (that has a name I always forget).  ::o:

("Philtrum")

Thank you! A lot of it is keeping a wet brush at hand to immediately wipe away anything that doesn't work. Being able to erase mistakes helps a lot.

I also take pictures to zoom in on while I'm painting because my eyesight isn't that keen.

16 hours ago, Mutilatedlips said:

Yeah, thats a most triumphant crystal ball. very cool

14 hours ago, Citrine said:

That crystal ball looks transparent!!

12 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

It all looks so nice -- especially that face, and the subtle blues of the cloth ... but I am positively MESMERIZED by that beautiful deep blue gradient on the shiny glassy orb atop the staff.  :D

10 hours ago, Warlady said:

That orb is amazing!

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I agree, the crystall ball is a work of art!

Overall great work!

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

She is a WONDERFUL creation. Her LOVELY, expressive face & the magic orb on her staff are high points of a BEAUTIFULLY painted mini. VERY WELL DONE!

Thank you kindly. Painting an orb isn't too complex. Mostly it relies on the glasslike effect of bright, transparent pigments -- in this case pure Phthalocyanine Blue -- when laid over pure white, and over a dark, contrasting color shadow at the top of the orb. I show the steps in the WIP thread, specifically in this post (although I hadn't yet washed the blue light over her hair in the WIP thread pictures).

It's kind of a watercolor technique, almost.

Edited by Pingo
oops, forgot about the five-minute-merge - or however long it is now - also lost the link to the technique when it merged
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello everybody,
      here's one I just completed, a Ral Partha female adventurer, I think sculpted by Julie Guthrie, because it's from the All Things Dark and Dangerous range.  Hoping the photos are in proper focus.

I really enjoyed the fact she had a sling and that the sling ball was sculpted into it.  Not overly happy with my metals on this one, but she'll do for now!
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello guys and gals,

So I had shown off the face of this poor lass a day or two ago, due to the fact that she had a horrible accident with a bottle of red paint and I had to repair her.  She's okay though now, and here is what she looks like in her entirety:

with a nice little size comparison photo just for fun. She's small, but not super small, but always nice to have the option to check her size out:

and if you are at all interested in seeing her painful plastic surgery, you can check out here:

A face full of blood

Which will show you my temporary chagrin and dismay.  You'll see another miniature I'm posting at more or less the same time, a Ral Partha Allosaurus, that was the culprit of the red paint.

Anyway, another miniature done, chiseling away at my mortal coil!

Next!!!
    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/224590870/runequest-classic-edition?ref=nav_search

Here we are in 2015, the 40th Anniversary of Chaosium as a game company. In a few months Glorantha, Greg Stafford's fantasy game world, celebrates its Golden 50th anniversary. We feel the time is right to bring the celebrated classic second edition of RuneQuest back into print. Gaming is going through a bit of an Old School renaissance as of late, and we want RuneQuest to be a part of it. We hope you’ll join in on the fun!

REWARDS:
      The RuneQuest Hardcover Book - is 144 pages. It will have sewn binding. It contains all the 2nd edition text, but with all the errata incorporated where it belongs. Additional material has been added to the appendices at the end. If you want more than one copy of the book, add another $30 for each additional book to the level you are backing.

The RuneQuest Leatherette Hardcover Book - is 144 pages. It is in red leatherette with gold foil stamps on the front and spine. It has a color dust jacket. If you want more than one copy of the book, add another $50 for each additional book to the level you are backing.

The Player Handouts - are 20 pages of reference material for the players to use during character creation and ongoing play.

The GM Screen - is two 11 inch x 17 inch (very close to A3 paper size) color cardstock panels with handy charts and tables from the Rulebook on the GM side, and classic Luise Perrene art on the Player Side.

The Old School RQ Source Pack - consists of four of the earliest RQ1/RQ2 supplements published: Militia & Mercenaries, Scorpionmen & Broos, Trolls & Trollkin and the Balastor's Barracks scenario. Each is about 16 pages in length with a color cardstock cover. If you want more than one copy of this Source Pack, add another $50 for each additional Source Pack to the level you are backing.

The Runequest Playtest Manuscript book - is a 250+ page hardcover book created from high resolution scans of the original playtest manuscript. This manuscript is the only known set of playtest notes in existence which were lovingly kept in a binder for the last 40 years. This playtest material was used to create the first edition of RuneQuest. It includes newly written introductory essays by Steve Perrin and Greg Stafford. Here's a few pictures of the original:

The 2 volume "Unpublished Scenarios and Source Material" set - is two hardcover books with hundreds of pages of unpublished RuneQuest material by Greg Stafford and other early authors. It includes a fair bit of Sorcery rules for the West, the Howling Tower scenario set in the Upland Marsh, as well as a wide range of other material, esoteric and otherwise. We will describe it in more detail in the comments section and the FAQ. This reward is only available as part of this Kickstarter.

Into old school RPGs, love Glorantha/Runequest ?

then this one is a great choice

they seem to have fulfilled their last KS OK with minor hiccups
    • By 72moonglum
      Hi guys,

two more figures that I just finished, really simple paint jobs with limited color palettes and being animals and all. They are both sculpted by Dennis Mize back in the day and came from his Children of the Night series.

I did the Hunting Cat in pure black with some highlights and for the Therapsid, I kind of wanted him pale, and unhealthy looking. He reminds me a little bit of a not-so naked mole rat:

Pretty simple and straight-forward figures, didn't take too long to paint. The hunting cat really only took a few hours, and the Therapsid a little bit more because he was three colors.  Anyway, hope you enjoy these little specimens of wildlife!
    • By 72moonglum
      And my last figure from this week, a giant rat,  sculpted way long ago by the immortal Julie Guthrie. I should have taken a comparison shot for this one, as he's really small, but you can probably guess because his base is one of those itty bitty bases I think used for 15 mm figures, not sure where I scored them from. They might have come with the familiars in some Stonehaven Kickstarter. 

Being that I couldn't take the Friday after July 4th off, because the rest of my department already had dibs, I ended up taking Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, as well as today and I've had some pretty productive painting mornings, so got lots done and this is another one of those figures:

He's slightly out of focus but he's really, really small.. One one of the angles you can see a little piece of flash I couldn't get rid of.

Anyway, enjoy once again! More figures in a few days!
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 144 Guests (See full list)