Sign in to follow this  
canuckotter

Gnollblins!

I find fender washers (the kind of washer with extra small holes) make good bases to give a little weight and solidity to off-balance figures.

If epoxied on a scrap of parchment paper, the epoxy fills the hole and the paper peels right off when it's dry.

• Like 7

Ditto on the washers.  I had some "dreggs" that I tried kitbashing (out of some Warhammer 40K Kroots) that were in frustratingly dynamic way-over-the-center-of-gravity poses, very prone to falling over at the slightest encouragement, but putting them on some metal washers helped immensely.  Of course, it helped that my minis were mostly plastic and epoxy -- with a little wire for pinning -- so that meant that the overhanging portions were much lighter than if they had been PEWTER ... but the figures above look to be plastic as well, so I'd hope the same benefit applies.

Also, the extreme caricatures of the Night Goblin heads plus the relatively more sedate proportions of the gnoll bodies (albeit very beastly with those digitigrade legs) make for some fascinatingly disturbing models.  I could really envision using models such as these for a more sinister sort of "Grimm Fairy Tales" branch of fantasy gaming where none of the players gets to peek through the Monster Manual or the DMG, there's a lot more mystery to the Dark Forest, and even "mere" goblins are something quite sinister and loathsome, even for more experienced adventurers.  Toward that end, I'd be inclined to paint them up in more muted colors -- probably under-painted in brown tones -- rather than the high-contrast, bright and garish colors I've come to associate with Warhammer Fantasy Battle.

... but regardless, I'm very curious to see what your take on them will be!  :)  I look forward to more progress pictures!

• Like 6

Those are UBERCOOL conversions. The heads go WONDERFULLY with the bodies. GREAT START!

I usually remove the attached base as best I can & pin the minis to a sceniced base.

• Like 4

I was surprised with how mean those ones did come out... Happy, but surprised. They're going to be a little bit on the scary side, I think. I originally planned to have these done in a really bright style but I think now I'm going to go with @Jordan Peacock 's idea of more muted tones, probably with some gruesome details if I'm feeling up to it. (My painting skills are really rusty...)

20181014_193628.thumb.jpg.9ed3ca91ac6e0a56610168b82938659f.jpg

These guys, on the other hand... They seem like they might fit in @malefactus 's world. Small, cute, and very worrying. ::D: I had a hard time getting a picture of them, but once I get pins in their feet and can start painting them, it should be easier to see what they really look like. Might need a bit of green stuff to fix some transitions first. Then they're getting painted up in the most malefactian style I can manage. ^_^

Edited by canuckotter
Capitalisation
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rigel said:

This switcheroo just made both sets more faerie-tale, eerie, and unsettling. JOB WELL DONE!

Ditto

6 hours ago, canuckotter said:

20181014_193628.thumb.jpg.9ed3ca91ac6e0a56610168b82938659f.jpg

These guys, on the other hand... They seem like they might fit in @malefactus 's world. Small, cute, and very worrying. 

Something similar might be achieved by combining these same night Gobbos with the heads of Skaven. ***makes notes***

Also, what Pingo and Jordan said about Fender Washers. (The original purpose of them is to spread the load exerted by fasteners over a broad area. Such as when a steel bolt fastens softer materials together, like timber or thin sheet metal.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ah! The Noble art of Kitbashing!

Great results!

Sometimes one can have that "why didn't I think of that" feeling.

These are awesome!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No matter how you feel about G.W., they do make some wonderful plastic parts that lend themselves to imaginative creating.

I am DELIGHTED you are having fun with the stuff I sent. It is so easy to lose yourself in the creative process.

• Like 8

The big headed goblins are funny but I really love the look of the gnoll headed ones.

• Like 4

Started base coating the gnollblins. I tend to start with the medium shadow colour and work my way up from there. These critters are gonna be bright. ::D:

20181015_211041.thumb.jpg.57f64488027d1d8a6e841944edf74539.jpg

• Like 14