Crowley

Crowley's Undead of October

The painting theme of the month has been chosen! The Undead of October will emerge from their (freshly painted) graves The miniatures have been selected… Here’s what's on the painting table:

IMG_20180930_193537.jpg

9 Bones Skeletons (from Bones 2)
6 Undying (Death, minotaur, lizardman, elf, halfling, & dwarf skeletons from Bones 3)
Bone Fiend (Bones 2)
4 mummies (Bones 2)
Hecklemeyer & Styx (25th Anniversary mini)
Dust King & Tomb (Bones 3)
Demi-Lich (Bones 2)
3 Nefsokar mummies (Bones 1)

26 (or 28 if you count the broken tomb and the tiny puppet) minis, in 31 days? Less if you count the vacation in the middle of the month… Plus one day since I started on the last day of September. Granted, the skeletons should all go really quickly, but even still, it’ll be a push to get it done, but this would push me over 100 minis for 2018… 

IMG_20180930_213745.jpg

Since everything is already lined with brown liner, the plan is:
Dirty Bone on all the bone and mummy wrapping!
Scorched Metal all the armor and weapons 
Heavy Sepia Wash pretty much everything
Highlights

Special Minis:
Demi-Lich - Thinking green/purple flames?
Hecklemeyer - Black & White costume? Black, White, & Red?
Nefsokar mummies - Lots of gold and bronze. 
Dust King - Seriously tempted to paint it up like the ice lich from Warcraft… 

As for their bases? That’s a little more work. The skeletons, bone fiend, and maybe the dust king will get bases to match the flocking on the tombstones. The demi-lich and hecklemeyer will probably get some sort of sculpted flagstone base. The mummies? Haven’t decided. Seriously tempted to give them dungeon flagstone bases too… 

Okay, so it’s really unlikely I’ll finish all of these in October, but maybe by November? 

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 14

The wonderful thing about skeletal undead (and mummies) is that they look so good even with just a drybrush of Dirty Bone! 

_20181002_222446.JPG

I used... I don't remember which brown on the weapon shafts.

_20181002_222344.JPG

The demi-lich got Nightmare Black and Pine Green on the smoke. I lightened the green with Linen White. Debating whether to paint the bones up, or hide them...

_20181002_222359.JPG

I also used the green on the archer's cloaks, and the black on the robes of Death and the Lich-Lord (way in the back).

More to come!!

• Like 14

(grabs bag of candy corn and settles in)

The Great Pumpkin approves of this!

The skeletal ones should go quickly, but the Dust King is going to be a time sink. There's a lot of fiddly detail on him. 

That said I'm sure you'll have them done by the 31st. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still need to put the Bone Fiend onto a new base, but I got all the metal base coated. It was a simple process, basically just Scorched Metal on everything, followed by an Armor Wash, then dry brushed with aged pewter.

It’s an effective look, and with a bit of highlighting should be great for my needs. I’m debating what to do with the shields. Flaking paint? THankfully there are only a couple I need to worry about.

I did basically the same thing for the mummies, skipping the pewter. I then went to the internet and spent a while looking up how people had painted them, because I was really at a loss. The Egyptian aesthetic isn’t one that’s managed to lodge into my head.

I’m not sure how much that helped. We’ll see the next time I sit down. Also still need to rebase the Bone Fiend.  

IMG_20181016_213852.jpg

• Like 15

The Undead of October continue to claw their way from the grave. Tonight the skeletons neared the gates, ready to burst forth upon an unsuspecting world. Only a few details are left to touch up...

_20181018_223736.thumb.JPG.660c8f3bfd1371b00be39a23f4e7c14a.JPG

Behind them are the more characterful undead. A more motley bunch, but they'll bring a far more significant challenge to any that dare stand in their way. 

_20181018_231159.thumb.JPG.01c2b5b0d0e5e55295efb505cceadc38.JPG

Then there are the mummies. I didn't actually touch them at all tonight. 

_20181018_231331.thumb.JPG.838784c8a9e2505e8051e2b50e259ae0.JPG

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 14

8 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Very Nice! Is the Undying Lizardman metal or Bones? I seem to have somehow overlooked him when I got mine.

Thanks! He's Bones. 77560

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tonight was all about the (green stuff) base.

IMG_20181028_190812.jpg

I know everything else up to this point has gotten the earth blend ground cover, but these mummies called out for something else. So flagstone bases it is! Besides, I figure they're more likely to be seen in a dungeon than in a field, and since I didn't want to do a sand base... Of course now I guess this means I need to do the other mummies the same way. 

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 11