TaleSpinner

Dark Fable Basilisk

Willing to help with black.  Given you are doing warm colors with the scales, for the skin I'd go cool.  Use something like snow shadow as your highlight.  I like nightshade purple and dark elf skin with a bit of snow shadow for the final highlights. The purples will contrast with your yellows nicely.  

I can yell at you about contrast all you want! ::D:

You're doing awesome!  Keep painting!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corporea said:

Willing to help with black.  Given you are doing warm colors with the scales, for the skin I'd go cool.  Use something like snow shadow as your highlight.  I like nightshade purple and dark elf skin with a bit of snow shadow for the final highlights. The purples will contrast with your yellows nicely.  

I can yell at you about contrast all you want! ::D:

You're doing awesome!  Keep painting!

You were the very person I was going to bug when that time came.  Thanks for the pre-help; I was going to read your hand-outs before bugging you. ::D:

• Like 5

Awww! Hugs!

Yeah- I like that color combo.  Nice work on the patterning.  Looks very natural.  You can do it!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yah that is a very nice looking pattern! Good luck with this one!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My son got his driver's permit yesterday, so last night I spent the evening teaching him the basics of driving and fearing for my life and property.  When we got home and the adrenaline shakes subsided, I managed to paint the black blotches on the other side of the basilisk:

IMG_E4308.JPG.28950adfaa94c28808bc6271f5eda0a0.JPG

Hopefully tonight I'll start glazing in the shadows on the yellow parts; but he also wants to go out again and drive around the parking lot some more, so...:huh:

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

I don't know that my dad or I enjoyed the process of me learning to drive, but we both appreciated it soon enough. So... Something to look forward to?

Basil looks pretty great, I'm excited to see more!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      This is the Reaper Bones 77371 Basilisk sculpted by Julie Guthrie. It's quite small - about the size of a large dog, with a wonderfully grouchy visage.

I painted it up fairly quickly to illustrate a video about how yellow and black can be mixed to make greens. This was an example of the less vivid greens (For a really vivid yellow-and-black green, see my She-Hulk Show-Off thread). All the colors on the critter were mixed just from yellow (mostly Yellow Ochre, but also a little Hansa Yellow), black, and white.

The video is here, if anyone cares to watch it.

• By Inarah
      Interesting little guy, I am sure he is up to no good, skulking around in the shadows near the palace.  He has a pair of new bronze daggers, and murder in his eyes.

• By wickedshifty
      This guy was so fun! 
      Mmmmm...and my uploader is broken. Sorry...I’ll try again later...
    • By Gadgetman!
      https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-sons-of-anubis-fantasy#/

Welcome to Dark Fable Miniature's Sons of Anubis Campaign.  These dog-headed warriors are descended from Anubis, the canine guide and guardian of the Egyptian underworld.  The Sons of Anubis are ferocious warriors sworn to protect the royal necropolis where the tombs of long dead pharaohs and queens can be found.  On rare occasions the Sons of Anubis have been summoned by powerful lords or heroes to wreak vengeance on those who would offend the gods.  Heavily armed and protected by sturdy shields and armour the Sons of Anubis make a formidable force on the battlefield.
      The Sons of Anubis campaign is the latest expansion of Dark Fable's pseudo-historical Egyptian range.  The concept and design of the miniatures are a mix of history, archaeology, fantasy fiction and Hollywood films.  The core group of miniatures consists of 7 sets: 5 sets of fearsome Anubis warriors sculpted by Kev Adams.  A set of Scorpion warriors sculpted by Tim Prow.  As well as a two-stage female genie made by Brother Vinni.  There is also a stretch goal reward figure - The Scorpion Lord - who is FREE to all Level 5 contributors and higher when the campaign goal of £2000 is reached.  If that were not enough we have made a large selection of our previously released miniatures available as ADD-ONs.
      These high-quality 28mm miniatures are made from a lead-free pewter alloy and have an incredible amount of detail and personality. Whether you are a collector or gamer you are certain to enjoy these figures!

They had me at 'female genie made by Brother Vinni'...

• By TaleSpinner
      I recently got a commission to sculpt a basilisk.   I'm really excited about this one as I've been wanting to do one for several years.  Due to cost constraints, I can't quite do the version I had originally wanted to do, but my client and I worked it out and I am very excited about what we came up with.  He also gave me permission to share it with you.  This one will be featured in a indie campaign later this spring I believe.

Here is the rough concept (please don't laugh at my rough drawing skills; I really need to take a page out of @Morihalda's book and work on  drawing more):

From that, I created the armature.  Note that the rear two legs on the left side will be on a rock which spans under the beast as it is climbing over it, touching the inside of the right-side rear leg.  This allows me to account for all 8 legs and still have a one-part casting.

Right Side (head pointing to the right):

Top (head to the right):

Left Side (head to the left):

Angled View (head tot he left):

• Who's Online   39 Members, 3 Anonymous, 87 Guests (See full list)