Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Made a centaur and a Drider from Reaper and Citadel bits and bobs

Great conversions!  I would almost be tempted to paint the drider's hair with Tamiya clears and sort of fade regular paint out from the head till the back half of the hair was translucent.  Not sure what color.  Maybe green or orange?  Too bad Tamiya doesn't make a clear purple.

• Like 5

great work!

I love your thinking out of the box on the hair.... it is so perfect and I agree with @Erifnogard ... it would be really cool to have translucent flaming hair!

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I'm not sure how well epoxy adheres to Bones.

Just noticed this comment when looking at the post again.  I haven't tried it but I would think epoxy would be terrible at adhering to Bones since it really works best with rigid surfaces.  CA glue would probably have worked fine even without the pin but I tend to pin everything that I can get a drill bit in so I would have gone with your solution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wow!  There's a lot of coolness going on here.  The "epoxy hair" is amazing, and now I want to try using that to add wispy flyaway TRANSLUCENT hair to some banshees/ghosts.  (Savage Ghostbusters possibilities abound!)  I'm guessing you must have done this with the two-part liquid "5 minute epoxy" or "15 minute epoxy" or thereabouts -- the sort that comes in a double-barrel syringe?  (I used to play around with that stuff to try to make shallow water effects and such, but had a few too many messy disasters that I haven't bothered with it much in a long time.  Maybe I should reconsider ... once I manage to get a more permanent work-space, that is, for such projects -- since it's "hurry and pack things up and move it to make room for other use of the room" that tends to result in those aforementioned disasters.)

I might have to ask around and see if I can find any Wood Elf players who have "bitz" left over from assembling a pack like this.  I love the look of that stag helmet and some other details, and I can imagine some fun conversion possibilities, but not to the point where I'd want to buy an entire army pack of models.  (I haven't played Warhammer Fantasy Battle for quite some time now.)

• Like 2

I would recommend research if you want to try the hair effect because I am pretty sure this epoxy yellows over time.

I think there are specialized epoxies that don’t yellow, or yellow less. They would serve better if you want to try this as a permanent effect without painting over it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

I would recommend research if you want to try the hair effect because I am pretty sure this epoxy yellows over time.

I think there are specialized epoxies that don’t yellow, or yellow less. They would serve better if you want to try this as a permanent effect without painting over it.

Well, yes, the epoxies I've used some time ago have all turned increasingly yellow over time.  However, for those where I wanted murky water (i.e., GREEN), they still look just fine.  :)  So for "ectoplasmic" effects, my thought is that I would mix in some green or blue, and if it shifts a bit more yellow over time, that's okay for my purposes.

• Like 1