• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the dragon man is actually pretty decent, it’s just lacking contrast between the armour and the skin. As Inarah said the iron looks good so personally I’d just give the skin another simple pass to brighten the red up. 

If you wanted to go a step further then using a lighter base would also help that read as separate from the figure

Edited by brehaut
  • Like 2
On 10/21/2018 at 4:59 PM, Inarah said:

I like the effect you got on the dragon-man armor.  It looks like iron.  I think you could improve him with a light touch of orange highlighting on his back scales and spine. 

On 10/21/2018 at 6:59 PM, brehaut said:

I think the dragon man is actually pretty decent, it’s just lacking contrast between the armour and the skin. As Inarah said the iron looks good so personally I’d just give the skin another simple pass to brighten the red up. 

If you wanted to go a step further then using a lighter base would also help that read as separate from the figure

Highlighting red with orange is scary! Suddenly it is too much and look dull. But I agree, some orange is a good idea. I wonder how he would have looked painted like fire, white to red-black. I considered hitting the scales with some shiny sealer.

Not sure what to do with the base. It's a fairly boring, flat broccoli. Perhaps stamp him on a happy-seppuku cobblestone and paint the stone lighter? Or paint the whole thing black. Or paint him a flat, light grey, base. Grass, perhaps, to contrast with the red?

Thanks for kind word and feedback!

On 10/21/2018 at 7:51 PM, Rigel said:

I like that petrified adventurer!

On 10/21/2018 at 7:53 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Nice!

The Dragonman is my favorite!

On 10/22/2018 at 7:10 AM, Warlady said:

The dragonman looks great!

23 hours ago, Iridil said:

Love the stone's sword and the dragonman's arnor. Nice job all around.

Thank you! :blush: 

I also thought "petrified adventurer" with that mini. She is apparantly a column, and I must have her in column-form in my bag o' bones.

My players would expect something if I add a mini for a statue..

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Dibbler said:

Highlighting red with orange is scary! Suddenly it is too much and look dull. But I agree, some orange is a good idea. I wonder how he would have looked painted like fire, white to red-black. I considered hitting the scales with some shiny sealer.

Not sure what to do with the base. It's a fairly boring, flat broccoli. Perhaps stamp him on a happy-seppuku cobblestone and paint the stone lighter? Or paint the whole thing black. Or paint him a flat, light grey, base. Grass, perhaps, to contrast with the red?

The broccoli bases can be a bit of a trick eh. I tend to put my minis onto a round base with some real poor green stuff work to extend the broccoli out, and then texture it with PVA glue and pulverized clay kitty litter. If you just want to paint it without doing anything additional personally I’d go for like a sandy tan color?  Maybe stippled some lighter patches or a green. A grass color might work too, although personally I don’t like to try to fake grass (I prefer some sort of flocking or those little clumps you get from say Gamer Grass or Army Painter). 

Regarding the red or orange, worst case you can always shade it down with a thin glaze of the original red if it’s too much. As an alternative you could take advantage of reds often being very translucent colours and paint a highlight in a light color like bleached bone some other warm whiteish color and then just paint over the top of that with the same red you used originally. 

• Like 1

His base isn't like normal broccoli, its more flat. Like he's standing on a big flat thing. I usually go for a dungeon-y look to the bases. Perhaps a warmer stone grey could do the trick?

I've got some army painter clumps, kinda like them.

That makes a lot of sense. I have a bottle of really translucent army painter red somewhere, perfect for that! I mainly use my GW red, that covers really well.

• Like 2