You know, watching you make these has me interested in buying one of your dad's woodcraft pieces, and I've never even seen what he makes!

18 hours ago, kristof65 said:

You know, watching you make these has me interested in buying one of your dad's woodcraft pieces, and I've never even seen what he makes!

Mostly these days he makes smaller things like bird feeders, bird houses, and Kubb Sets that he donates to be sold to raise funds for charity like the local food shelf. He also makes furniture for Mom when she needs more space for her ever growing book collection. 

• Like 14

I love what you have done for your Dad. I lost my Dad 2 years ago and would give anything to have him again. Treasure these years.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 3

What a unique, thoughtful, and beautifully crafted gift! New life goals: be cool enough to get Christmas presents from Tailspinner haha I can't wait to see what he thinks!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was interesting and rather funny in the end. I don't think he really understood what they were or how I had got them at Christmas.  He did his typical "I love it!" that he does when he's not too sure.  I'd also taken him down stairs and showed him the original, yet he seemed a bit lack luster about it and was more interested in my new rolling mill.  I was actually rather depressed about it that night, having hoped for a much better reaction; I'd really put a lot of my heart into those.

The next day I got a text from him, "Did you sculpt that owl?"

"Yes," I replied "and the text."

"You sculpted the text too?"  

"Yes dad, the whole thing, and then I molded it, cast them in my foundry, and cleaned and polished them."

"Wow, I totally love them!"  

:lol:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sounds like it just took awhile to digest.  I'll bet his reaction gets even better as the year goes forward and he uses them on his own projects. 

• Like 4

Aww, I know exactly how it feels to put so much effort and love into something only to have it be received with a less than excited response. It sounds like he might not have totally understood but I think Kristof65 is right, he'll appreciate it more and more as time goes by and the practical use becomes a special thing for him. 

Some of my all time favorite paintings made my parents say "umm, that's nice sweetie, what is it?" Never sold, didn't get much online attention, just overall didn't impact people. I still love them and you've done some amazing work here, be proud of yourself!

• Like 3

Sounds like he just needed the night and a closer look to realize what you'd done here.  Great job!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1