• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father is one of those people who is always really hard to buy for.  This year I drew his name for Christmas.  He is an amazing woodworker and craftsman.  I wanted to get him something he didn't ha

Done.       My wife put them in a little velvet bag and is wrapping them tonight.

I cut the mold and cast a few.  It took me a while to get the pressure dialed in right on these so that the words all filled.  Then, after casting these six, they suddenly stopped filling right.  I do

Posted Images

18 hours ago, kristof65 said:

You know, watching you make these has me interested in buying one of your dad's woodcraft pieces, and I've never even seen what he makes!

Mostly these days he makes smaller things like bird feeders, bird houses, and Kubb Sets that he donates to be sold to raise funds for charity like the local food shelf. He also makes furniture for Mom when she needs more space for her ever growing book collection. 

• Like 14
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It was interesting and rather funny in the end. I don't think he really understood what they were or how I had got them at Christmas.  He did his typical "I love it!" that he does when he's not too sure.  I'd also taken him down stairs and showed him the original, yet he seemed a bit lack luster about it and was more interested in my new rolling mill.  I was actually rather depressed about it that night, having hoped for a much better reaction; I'd really put a lot of my heart into those.

The next day I got a text from him, "Did you sculpt that owl?"

"Yes," I replied "and the text."

"You sculpted the text too?"  

"Yes dad, the whole thing, and then I molded it, cast them in my foundry, and cleaned and polished them."

"Wow, I totally love them!"  

:lol:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Aww, I know exactly how it feels to put so much effort and love into something only to have it be received with a less than excited response. It sounds like he might not have totally understood but I think Kristof65 is right, he'll appreciate it more and more as time goes by and the practical use becomes a special thing for him. 

Some of my all time favorite paintings made my parents say "umm, that's nice sweetie, what is it?" Never sold, didn't get much online attention, just overall didn't impact people. I still love them and you've done some amazing work here, be proud of yourself!

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      So i've got that trio of spiders from nolzur's.

They do not come with sculpted bases - unlike most of the nolzur's line.  This isn't a huge issue, except that these suckers have a bunch of tiny spindly legs.  I am worried about getting a good hold.

So I have a few questions:

1: how to fasten these guys to a base?  Just glue the legs and hope, or pin them through the body like a flightstand?
      2: how to sculpt/or assemble, suitable bases to compliment their spindly nature and ensure a better hold.
      3: how to attach the spider in a way that I can paint underneath it OR should I find a way to glue it down after both parts are painted?

So the webbed victim shown in the photo above I have decided to leave out as a piece of scatter.  There is a stone base (not pictured) that I have already glued to a reaper base for one of the spiders.  Each of the spiders has a slightly different pose with their legs - which is made worse by them being bent out of shape.  I'm hoping to use this as an advantage though, and pose each spider differently.  One is rearing back with front legs up (this one I plan to glue to the supplied rocky base with the abdomen glued to the ground for extra support.

Another spider has one side of legs kind of bent under a bit.  I'm thinking this would look good mounted sideways, crawling up the side of a fallen log (not sure if I should try to sculpt this, or find a twig to glue to the base).

The last spider is pretty neutral, but I was thinking of posing it climbing down something just for variety.

Any advice about sculpting the bases vs gluing organic material or mounting something with narrow points of contact would be tremendously helpful.  My indecision has lead to two weeks of no painting.
    • By Kuroneko
      This is my entry for the seasonal category in the Reaper Challenge League. I picked St Patricks Day as my holiday and found this adorable little fellow and his buddy in the Reaper Store. Normally I paint much bigger, meaner looking minis so this pair were a really nice change of pace. All comments and criticisms are, as always, very welcome.

There was a slight hitch when taking the photographs for the mini. I was taking the photos in an area with great natural light, but I was interrupted by an angry Kurogane who was furious that his sleeping spot had been hijacked for something as trifling as miniature photography :D

The mini suffered 1d2 bite damage to his hat.....

.....and the perpetrator showed a distinct lack of remorse! Such is a life with feline overlords The mini was quickly fixed with some paint plastic surgery. Thanks for looking everyone!

• By knarthex
      So at Reapercon 2018, I scored the Duskwarden poster of Thregan Helmsplitter for my work at the auction, and of course, being the Duskwarden*, I have a couple of the minis as well.

So I was thinking of using him as my next PC, but as I have hair, I wanted my mini to also...
      While working on another project with GS, as usual, I made to much, and decided to bite the bullet and do his hair...
      What do you think?

Comments appreciated!

George

Doesn't Jacob Knochengard look like me???
    • By BLZeebub
      Couple reaper samurai I used for a commissioned diorama.  Rock is pine bark, tree is a wire armiture covered with plumber's epoxy putty and paper towel and super glue (for the skinnier parts), foliage is bleached, dyed, and preserved reindeer moss.

• By PhantomAquarist
      Gotta touch up some areas later like the excess paint in the mouth. But other than that I'd say it's tabletop ready! :)

• Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)