Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

A proposed alternative position for the cape on 14016: Judas, Necropolis Warlord and 77160: Judas Bloodspire, Vampire

So I have painted the Bones figure 77160: Judas bloodspire (on the right):

1-Jan-vampires.jpg.86ea2983cdadf951b814908af641f6d8.jpg

He's a magnificent sculpt with a cape that's all over the place.

And, indeed, his cape hucked up like fallen angel wings is how he appears in all the in-store images, metal or Bones:

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/judas/sku-down/14016

The problem as I see it with this is that it is a very precarious construction. In Bones I felt safe enough to paint away merrily, but I recall stating even in my WIP that I would quake at the challenge of keeping a metal figure of this pinned together.

Be careful of what you ask for. Some months ago @malefactus kindly sent me a generous assortment of figures, which included a very nicely based and primed version of 14016: Judas, Necropolis Warlord.

Despite his very careful packing, the figure had been jostled enough to loosen the cape (sorry, malefactus!). I set it aside, cleaned off the glue, and reckoned I would paint them separately and rejoin them later.

Yesterday I was contemplating how to do so, and whether, where, and how to pin it when I noticed something.

I think there is an alternate pose of the cape that may work better.

The cape fits on the figure very neatly at three contact points (the sword, the back, and the left hand) if one attaches it at a different angle from all the photos in the store.:

147090803_DSC_0218-Malefactus-Judas-Bloodspire-cape-position.jpg.60a102320683814d05147dcca68c8b1e.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg.b07bff988ef52f4b4077505b88652b24.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg.b460453808ee6dfb5f24d0e0d516e564.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg.54a03b74ec6154ac4e319d004768a4c7.jpg

While this conformation does not have the amazingly dramatic winglike forms of the standard arrangement, it seems to me it has the potential to be much more stable.

Just for fun, here's a close up of his face so far:

DSC_0218-face.jpg.071bac211ab9159143919538f05ad8eb.jpg

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 17

I am VERY happy now that I sent you Judas. The new position on the cape is sweeping & dramatic. The face is GLORIOUS; it will be one of your WONDERFULLY chilling Vampire visages.

Have FUN with the Fellow!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmm. The new position also had the added benefit(?) of looking like an actual physical thing that a cape can do.

I think it's no less dramatic, for all that it's a little less ...dra-magic.

That was awful and I'm not sorry.

The point is, I like it. I'm actually wondering whether the end near his right hand might actually connect to his hand or wrist if the angle of the arm were higher. Cool!

• Like 8

I think it's look even better this way, more natural!

As far as natural goes for a vampire...

I love vampire minis, this is a great one.

• Like 2

Good call.  I did this on my old metal Judas as well, as it was the only way that made any sense to me.  I got him pre-internet days (at least before I used it to look things up on the reg) when I couldn't see the reference photo in the Reaper store.  Didn't the metal version come with an actual chain and a scantily clad lady.

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, BLZeebub said:

Good call.  I did this on my old metal Judas as well, as it was the only way that made any sense to me.  I got him pre-internet days (at least before I used it to look things up on the reg) when I couldn't see the reference photo in the Reaper store.  Didn't the metal version come with an actual chain and a scantily clad lady.

I wouldn’t know. He came from malefactus already put together and based.

There doesn’t seem to be anything like that in his store picture. Perhaps you’re confusing this with another figure?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pingo said:

I wouldn’t know. He came from malefactus already put together and based.

There doesn’t seem to be anything like that in his store picture. Perhaps you’re confusing this with another figure?

My guess is the Vampire Lord on his Throne, that one has a female demon minion holding his helmet.

I believe he is called Draghot?

• Like 1