How many minis do you paint?

TKD

In another thread, FuzzyIzmit said:

I am the exact opposite (at least when I paint figures). I sit down after I prime a whole mess of them and do them one by one, only starting the next one once the preveous one is finished.

I have been meaning to ask this - how many figures do people having in process at the same time?

By "in process", I mean being actively painted. If you've got 300 minis primed but they just sit there waiting (like me) I would not count them. I'm wondering how many minis you typically switch back and forth between during a given painting session.

I usually have about 6-8 minis in a partially painted condition, and as I finish a mini a rotate another one into the mix and start on it. Not since I first started have I done only one mini at a time.

I work on one mini, then I swap to another while the first is drying, rotating through fairly randomly. I tend to mix easy and fun minis (like my orcs and pirates) with ones that take a bit more work (like detailed characters), so I can vary my concentration a bit during the session.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've usually got around a dozen going, then throw in my four "ever in progress" dioramas I've had going (just added another :rolleyes: ).

Part of mine is the letting areas dry, but I also tend to look up from the one I just finished with a color on only to spot one of the other "working" ones that I suddenly want to use some of that color on. My method can be called either insane, for the down to earth types, or, going for pretention, DaVinici-esque. (I follow my heart and don't get in a hurry, all the while compiling enough reference material for a small nation to work from :lol: )

Normally, just one, although on rare ocassions I work one and a half (my main one, and maybe some sections on some other half finished one).

Only once did I try assembly line painting, on some squads of Space Marines and Eldar, but I didn't really enjoy the experience as much as painting them one by one.

I have 23 on the table ATM, all of which have had paint put on them in the last 24 hours.

Of course that might have something to do with Origins prep, and customer work and, oh yeah, I have GOT to finish this summer exchange piece!

Next month, I am actually going to paint a fig just for ME! :huh:

Yes, I can have half a dozen or more with a small amount of paint on, but generally I take it one at a time to completion. If I am doign a pair though that are similar, I will do both at once, but more than that is asking for delays :P

If I'm doing troops for a game like Warhammer (which as a rule, I don't anymore), between 5 and 10 depending upon how complex the model is and how important the unit is - more important stuff gets more time because there's less of them. I paint these in a 'manufacturing line' style for speed, which is highly repetitive and one reason I moved away from playing GW games - I don't have the patience to paint that many frikkin line troops that are worth less than 10 points.

Characters, display models, etc, I can still have up to 10 going at once, but I will swap between them rather than do them all at the same time.

On my table/surrounding shelves I currently have 8 WIP Rackham Kelt models (6 warriors, 1 Fianna, 1 bard), an armoured bloke from Rackham and a single CAV for a bit of variety.

I usually have at least 6-10 miniatures going in a rotating basis. I may have as many as 30-40 primed and ready to go. I will mix characters with units. Units being assembly line painted and characters to help break up the tedium of unit painting.

For troops in 40k, I work in groups of 4 or 5, sometimes more if I'm just blocking in colors. Any more than 4 or 5 while doing detail/layering highlights and my paint pallete starts drying up too quickly (no, I don't have a wet pallete yet :P), not to mention I get a terrible neckache.

For more unique characters, I work on them pretty one at a time only, unless I am painting very similar colors... but even then, only when blocking in the main colors.

I tend to paint anywhere from a approximately half a dozen to a dozen models at once. If they all happen to be the same troop then I just work one color at a time moving from one model to the next. By the time I get to the last one, the first one is dried enough to start the next phase.

Also... by doing this, particularly with different characters, I find that at some point my interest just naturally gravitates towards a particular model and I end up finishing that one, but with the benefit of having half completed all the others.

Also... by doing this, particularly with different characters, I find that at some point my interest just naturally gravitates towards a particular model and I end up finishing that one, but with the benefit of having half completed all the others.

Don't even get me started on this, it's so true. ::(:

*cries at one good looking finished skink, with two basecoated skinks, and 1-2 still white skinks*

:down:

I've done up to five at the same time, but I never do armies. I do it mostly to reuse the same paint I've just mixed, although I just as often end up mixing some more of the same color because it starts to dry on the palette.

I could never paint an army of figs. It seems much more tedious than fun to me to do things in repetition like that. The folks that paint GOOD Warhammer figs must have A LOT of time on their hands, and the ones that paint OKAY armies often look "sloppy" to me up close. I notice a lot more drybrushing from the people that paint armies, and the look of it has never appealed to me.