How many minis do you paint?

TKD

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, lots of replies.

I don't really do armies - at least, I do not play many miniature battle games other than Ogre. I do lots of individual figures, and even my "unit" minis tend to be customized enough that I can use them as individuals in an RPG.

I always wonder how people do one mini at a time. I used to do it, but it involved so much waiting between paint layers and careful attention. I find all of my work is better if I set it aside for a day or so and come back to it before I pronounce it done. Doing a single mini would mean I never really "let go" of the nearly-finished model so I can take a fresh look and see if it needs another touch of paint here or there. With 6-8 minis in active progress (not shunted aside as "Ah, I can't think of a good color to go with that, I'll finish it eventually") I feel like I make good progress and still get to give each mini the time I need to really consider it and ensure I like what I did.

As for minis ready to go, well - I keep a huge amount of minis primed - 300 was an estimate, not an exaggeration. At one point, I had 70+ pirates primed and ready, 24 Empire Militia, 19 Empire Soldiers, 20 Pantera Jaguar Warriors, 50 orcs (now down to 25 or so), 16 Chaos Warriors, 16 Chaos Marauders, 10 mummies, four giants, two dozen simians, a dragon, 11 shambling mounds, 6 cultists, 15 pygmies, two trolls, 20 dwarves, 10 knights, 9 mounted knights, (mumble mumble mumble) Ogres and Ogre vehicles, plus about 50-60 other minis. Plus terrain. None of these have any paint on them except possibly the black coat I add to the bases before I start. Add in about 40-50 partly painted minis and you've got my ready-to-paint minis.

Maybe working on that number one at a time just seems too crazy to contemplate. :)

I just like working on one at a time because it allows me time to focus. Even if I have to wait for paint to dry, I am constantly going over the color scheme and tweaking it or something. I do alot of thinking when it comes to any art sorta thing. I could never take more than one art class at a time because I cant do more than one project at once. It seems that thinking of two different projects at once conflicts with eachother and fustrates the heck out of me. Thats just me though...

With historicals/regimented figures it's unit size that determines . That's usually 10 - 40 25mm figures at a time... With 15mm it's 30 - 60 figs at a time.

When painting singles it's 1 - 3 primary figs with alot more "while the paint dries" figures.

MG/IX

tinywars.com

Typically I am painting only one mini at a time. The only exception to this rule is if a fully painted mini that I have been using as a PC is killed. This means hunting for another mini, making conversions as needed, and then painting it. If I am in the process of painting another player's mini...sorry...the painter's mini gets the priority. If they want their character painted and do not want to wait, they can learn just like I am :)

Like FuzzyIzmit, I like keeping my concentration focused on the one piece. I am often mixing colors while I wait for the paint to dry. Or getting coffee, watching TV, perusing message boards, etc.

At any given time, I have somewhere from 20-50 minis on my workbench "in process". Typically, at least 4 game systems are represented, and a dozen different units. This way, I can do (for example) the blue coat for my Dwarf warriors, then move on to the brown for the Orc boots, then over to the rocky skin tones for To-tanem, then perhaps the black details on a CAV, then the furnace details of a Warmachine 'jack, then the weapons on a Warmaster unit, and rounding it off with the armor base for some Nefsokar grunts.

In this way, I tend not to get bored with doing the same thing again and again. As an added plus, since I do play some half dozen systems, I am not neglecting anything, and my armies are always making some progress.

For me it depends. If I am painting an army for someone then I tend to do between 5 and 20 models at a time.

However if I am painting on offs then I usually do them one at a time. At the moment however I just seem to have so many "Really Cool" minis that I haven't been able to choose so I currently have 3 going at the moment. But even then I still concentrate on one at a time. When I get a brilliant idea for one then I work on that, or if I have the stuffs with one I can put it down for a day.

I really do prefer to work one from clean up and prime to varnish and base before starting another one. I often find it hard to go back to a mini once I have stopped working on it for a while.

Like Flynn I don't have problems with having to wait for the paint to dry, I use my paints so thin that the start of each stroke is generally dry before I get to the end of it. The only time I have to wait is if it is really really cold, and then I just turn the heater on!

I am currently doing around fifty ships for my Silent Death fleets. I have them all set out in a line, and have the base colors and washes on them. I am currently working on the cockpits, and once those are done, I will still have the guns and some dry brushing to go.

Also I have started putting together and cleaning the CAV minis I picked up the other day. I have around ninety-five blisters total so I am doing four a day until they are done.

Froy

hopefully I'll finish them during my lifetime.

Heard that...

*looks at the mass of unpainted Crusader grunts on my desk*

Yes masters...I'm coming....

(who needs a hypnotoad when you have a slew of grunts dominating your life?)