Jump to content

Finally finishing my scratch built barrels


Recommended Posts

Awhile ago I came across a terrain tutorial video about building barrels and thought I'd give it a go. After the initial steps of collecting water bottle/soda lids, gluing them together, and even priming them the project came to a halt. Well after a couple months of staring at a bag of primed bottle caps I finally got back to work. 

 

The next step in the build was to create an actual lid/opening in the top of the barrel. This required two pieces; it needed a small bead and a slightly larger round piece to glue the bead onto (in the tutorial the builder used small wooden discs they found at a craft store). I knew that my wife already had plenty of beads that would be perfect but that small round disc had me stumped.

 

That's when I finally remembered that inside my wife's craft bin she had a hole punch. Since I started basing my models and began building a little terrain I've been collecting a lot of random household brick a brack, including baby formula tins and lids. You know where I'm going with this and I think the picture speaks for itself.20181030_003103.thumb.jpg.4b37a64f01e7b5498df1c79a1f865e2d.jpg

 

Now that I finally had all the pieces I began gluing the discs and beads to the top of the barrels. After a little gunmetal grey I'm pretty impressed with how good they look and how quick they can be made (quick provided you don't spend too much time thinking about a single piece). I placed some Games Workshop barrels behind them for comparison. 20181030_002817.thumb.jpg.75a294b518be1fc1cb236361d1c3ab90.jpg

 

I'm pretty sure this build came from Terrain Tutorial but I'm not positive (I did see the video quite a while ago). Either way I just want to say this wasn't my idea at all, I simply followed the steps I happened to remember from a youtube video I watched so long ago that I can't remember who did it. I'm grateful however for this simple and cheap terrain and will be making a ton of them over the next few days.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assembled the last of my barrels and even began painting the smaller ones. I also finished the base coat on my first four and glued them together. They still need a dark wash but I'm pretty convinced they'll turn out great.

 

On a side note this is the first time I've actually used my Sir Forscale to show the scale of something. 20181030_225807.thumb.jpg.3c21bfb031b3d3d183338d2de503fe5b.jpg20181030_233227.thumb.jpg.1b9f7b5468d73ce05774ea189dd657e8.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Managed to completely finish the smaller barrels. They're painted, assembled, and washed so they are finished. I thought about sealing them but decided not to, being painted with cheap craft paint had a lot to do with that. The decision may come back to haunt me but I seriously doubt it.20181101_004023.thumb.jpg.15b472561c17e895047fbb2c38e39ac0.jpg

 

I also managed to paint and assemble the larger barrels. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to apply a wash, but they'll probably be finished tomorrow. 20181101_003944.thumb.jpg.0bd92b07a73d2c930ea8a2250ff68d71.jpg

 

I'm still debating if I want to do punctured or leaking barrels with these. Thanks to my wife's hobby gear I do have access to a hot glue gun (for creating the ooze or industrial waste seeping/leaking out) but I think I like them as the simple barrels they are. I've also reached the point in the project where I think adding anything else will mess everything up. Guess I'll have to sleep on it.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The smaller barrels were a big hit on my table but the larger barrels have just been sitting on my desk unfinished. Today I not only decided to finish them I decided to try doing leaking/overflowing containers too.

 

So the first step was applying a generous amount of hot glue to the barrels. Honestly this was so easy I have no idea why I thought about it for so long, it looks great too.20181117_221736.thumb.jpg.50c406f56794620fe224ca8aa0a166fb.jpg

 

Next up was painting it. I had been kicking around ideas about ooze color but hadn't really decided on anything before I started. Once I saw the dried glue though I knew exactly what I wanted to do, I wanted to do the 90's TMNT II Secret of the Ooze green. I used Reaper's Viper Green with a wash of Citadel Biel-tan Green. Once that was dry the barrels received a wash, with the happy accident of a little making its way onto the ooze. 20181118_004526.thumb.jpg.0b8cf02f9716a5f227be7dfb0ab23671.jpg

 

They're now ready for the tabletop. Since I know I'll be making more of the smaller barrels soon I will definitely be doing this again.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...