Sign in to follow this  
Rat13

Finally finishing my scratch built barrels

Awhile ago I came across a terrain tutorial video about building barrels and thought I'd give it a go. After the initial steps of collecting water bottle/soda lids, gluing them together, and even priming them the project came to a halt. Well after a couple months of staring at a bag of primed bottle caps I finally got back to work. 

The next step in the build was to create an actual lid/opening in the top of the barrel. This required two pieces; it needed a small bead and a slightly larger round piece to glue the bead onto (in the tutorial the builder used small wooden discs they found at a craft store). I knew that my wife already had plenty of beads that would be perfect but that small round disc had me stumped.

That's when I finally remembered that inside my wife's craft bin she had a hole punch. Since I started basing my models and began building a little terrain I've been collecting a lot of random household brick a brack, including baby formula tins and lids. You know where I'm going with this and I think the picture speaks for itself.20181030_003103.thumb.jpg.4b37a64f01e7b5498df1c79a1f865e2d.jpg

Now that I finally had all the pieces I began gluing the discs and beads to the top of the barrels. After a little gunmetal grey I'm pretty impressed with how good they look and how quick they can be made (quick provided you don't spend too much time thinking about a single piece). I placed some Games Workshop barrels behind them for comparison. 20181030_002817.thumb.jpg.75a294b518be1fc1cb236361d1c3ab90.jpg

I'm pretty sure this build came from Terrain Tutorial but I'm not positive (I did see the video quite a while ago). Either way I just want to say this wasn't my idea at all, I simply followed the steps I happened to remember from a youtube video I watched so long ago that I can't remember who did it. I'm grateful however for this simple and cheap terrain and will be making a ton of them over the next few days.

• Like 9

I assembled the last of my barrels and even began painting the smaller ones. I also finished the base coat on my first four and glued them together. They still need a dark wash but I'm pretty convinced they'll turn out great.

On a side note this is the first time I've actually used my Sir Forscale to show the scale of something. 20181030_225807.thumb.jpg.3c21bfb031b3d3d183338d2de503fe5b.jpg20181030_233227.thumb.jpg.1b9f7b5468d73ce05774ea189dd657e8.jpg

• Like 7

Managed to completely finish the smaller barrels. They're painted, assembled, and washed so they are finished. I thought about sealing them but decided not to, being painted with cheap craft paint had a lot to do with that. The decision may come back to haunt me but I seriously doubt it.20181101_004023.thumb.jpg.15b472561c17e895047fbb2c38e39ac0.jpg

I also managed to paint and assemble the larger barrels. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to apply a wash, but they'll probably be finished tomorrow. 20181101_003944.thumb.jpg.0bd92b07a73d2c930ea8a2250ff68d71.jpg

I'm still debating if I want to do punctured or leaking barrels with these. Thanks to my wife's hobby gear I do have access to a hot glue gun (for creating the ooze or industrial waste seeping/leaking out) but I think I like them as the simple barrels they are. I've also reached the point in the project where I think adding anything else will mess everything up. Guess I'll have to sleep on it.

• Like 8

The smaller barrels were a big hit on my table but the larger barrels have just been sitting on my desk unfinished. Today I not only decided to finish them I decided to try doing leaking/overflowing containers too.

So the first step was applying a generous amount of hot glue to the barrels. Honestly this was so easy I have no idea why I thought about it for so long, it looks great too.20181117_221736.thumb.jpg.50c406f56794620fe224ca8aa0a166fb.jpg

Next up was painting it. I had been kicking around ideas about ooze color but hadn't really decided on anything before I started. Once I saw the dried glue though I knew exactly what I wanted to do, I wanted to do the 90's TMNT II Secret of the Ooze green. I used Reaper's Viper Green with a wash of Citadel Biel-tan Green. Once that was dry the barrels received a wash, with the happy accident of a little making its way onto the ooze. 20181118_004526.thumb.jpg.0b8cf02f9716a5f227be7dfb0ab23671.jpg

They're now ready for the tabletop. Since I know I'll be making more of the smaller barrels soon I will definitely be doing this again.

• Like 11

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this