Shading magenta paint

planetmut

I've bought some sci-fi type figures and decided to paint one of them in P3's Murderous Magenta. It's a great colour but now I'm stuck on what to shade/wash the figure with. Red would make it too red, blue would make it more purple, so do I just go for something like Army Painter dark/strong tone and risk losing some of the strong colour?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

• Like 1

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have P3 paints to go with it try a little bit of ordic olive mixed in.  That magenta can be looked at as a cool red, so a warm green like an olive would help to knock it a bit dark.  You can also get away with a little bit of black and it will give you a kind of dirty maroon color. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you're shading with a wash, you might want to re-apply a little bit of the original color after it dries. Use it as a mid-tone or highlight to keep the whole thing from becoming too muddy after shading.

If you're applying it directly to the shadows as a shading color, then you can ignore this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, japenny_902 said:

That magenta can be looked at as a cool red,

That's an interesting take on magenta; I'm a page designer at a community newspaper and we've always referred to magenta as "that hot pink colour that under no circumstances is to be used as a background colour" ::D:

• Haha 4