Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

Getting To Know Each Other, November 2018

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 20 : An alien approaches you, it speaks and gestures, but you can't understand it.

What will you do?

I want to say I'd do something clever, like try to establish some kind of understanding by sketching geometric relationships in the sand, or something (the Star Trek kind of answer), but the truth is that any alien intelligent alien that manages to find me here on Earth is way more advanced than I am, so it's their job to figure out how to change the batteries in their translator.

Besides, having come all this way, don't torment the primitive monkeys trying to get directions, just go in the woods.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I would offer it food, offering / accepting food is an universal token of friendship.

Let's just hope our earth doesn't give them indigestion :wacko:

• Haha 9

Just now, redambrosia said:

Let's just hope our earth doesn't give them indigestion :wacko:

You mean this might be a tad too much?

image.png.fb1a13ca1138b3001f0f698a5a22eaaf.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

It might send the pig aliens into hysterics :lol:

If the alien looks like a pig he's BACON!

Intergalactic food source!

And so Interplanetary War between Oink456 and Earth started...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 20 : An alien approaches you, it speaks and gestures, but you can't understand it.

What will you do?

That totally depends on whether it's the arthropod/worm or the sexy female alien from yesterday's answer. If it's the first try my best to communicate and hope I ain't lunch. If it's the second, run away as fast as I can because I know I'm lunch. I watched both series of V and some other movies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

What will you do?

1. look around for any obvious dangers to make sure this isn't the alien version of "look out for that bear"

2. look at him closely to try and determine if the alien is in distress/dying. if so, I'm probably going to call for an ambulance without mentioning that the sick person is a space alien. (I can just barely do basic first aid on a human I have no idea how you treat space aliens) 

3. if they are not obviously injured or trying to warn of danger probably wave and say hello. 

4. if I haven't been shot, abducted, stabbed, what ever, probably going to draw pictures of basic stuff on the ground or paper if I have it and say the word for them and hope it gets what I'm doing.

5. if all else fails probably walk away.

*if at any point it makes hostile actions, then try to punch or club it

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I would offer it food, offering / accepting food is an universal token of friendship.

But what if it is allergic to chocolate...

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Galactic peace is riding on my Macarena skills. You can do it, Pezler. You can do it.

And then the Alien interprets this as Amdromedan KungFu-Judo and the interstellar war begins...

37 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

You mean this might be a tad too much?

image.png.fb1a13ca1138b3001f0f698a5a22eaaf.png

If the chocolate doesn’t kill them, then try bacon? :blink:

What will you do?

I am going to do that Spock hand gesture (since I can; some people can’t) and say “live long and prosper” (because how often do you get to do those two things for  reals?) and simultaneously I will back away slowly because I am pretty sure @Glitterwolf  @Cyradis or @Pezler the Polychromatic have already got us into a war with these guys. 

• Haha 10

What will you do?

I'd begin by attempting to communicate how we represent numbers and directions in an attempt to achieve some minimal form of common ground and find out where it's from.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

What will you do?

Offer it a glass of water. 

*(Sorry, obscure movie reference)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

What will you do?

If it's one of the Greys this means it's drunk and I bring it bread and coffee and try and sober it up enough that it remembers how to speak English.

If it's something new, I crack open a can of Hamms and pass it over along with a cup of coffee. While it examines/samples these things I put some Elvis on and watch carefully for it's reaction.

All forms of life advanced enough to have figured out interplanetary travel know who Elvis is. It was signals of his broadcasts on I think the Ed Sullivan Show that were strong enough to eventually move on past our solar system and are the first sign of human life on earth that extraterrestrials encounter. This makes it something of a litmus test in dealing with them. Some like the Greys idolize Elvis others like the Lizard Men will attack upon hearing the opening chords of most of his songs except for "In the Ghetto", where they wait for the song to be halfway over before trying to kill you. (no, I have no idea why this is)  

So a new alien's reaction to the Works of the King will dictate my response to it's presence. If it enjoys the music I try and get in touch with the Greys who are far more likely than I am to know how to communicate with the newcomer, if it attacks, I show it the meaning of "Humanity %$^& Yeah!" and then try and track down and steal it's ship. 

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Smile as though I know what it's talking about, make sympathetic, but non-commital noises, and hope it goes away soon. 

Incedentally, that's how I treat customers when I can't understand them because they're drunk.

Oddly enough I get this same reaction from a lot of people when I am not drunk...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

What will you do?

Hope it's not hostile while making an attempt to communicate with it.  If hostile, pray, roll for initiative and see if it bleeds.  'cause if it bleeds...

• Like 10

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

What will you do?

Image result for penguins smile and wave

• Like 3
  • Haha 8