Unruly

Kings of War: Vanguard

So glad to find some chatter about this great game.  I've only got one game under my belt so far, but it was really fun.  Mantic's really done a great job this time!

I was sad to hear Mantic is shutting down their forums (which had a really bad run of not working there, for a good long while...), aside from their promise to use Facebook (facebook?!?), does anyone know where there's a good spot to discuss Vanguard?

Yes, they are - they had more than two years of really bad forum software, and the community there never recovered.

By 'Bad' I mean 'Terrible' - a lot of folks - myself included - could not log in. In my case, it wouldn't let me log in because I wasn't 'registered' - and would let me register because I already was.... <_<

I complain about how buggy Reaper's forum software is - with good reason - but it looks like a masterpiece of software design when compared to whatever engine the Mantic forums were using.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

That makes me sad. Mantics early forums were a fun place with some great folks. Reminds me a lot of this place. Even a few auld Mantic forumites are here.

I do keep an eye on Mantic through their Facebook pages.

And through their kickstarters. :ph34r:

Fun Fact. When Mantic started their original forums I was asked to be a Moderator and stayed on as one through several forum changes.

Haven’t been one there for a few years now but for a while I was doing double Mod duty when Reaper asked me to Mod here.

• Like 5

I recall the bad forum days. Then the times when the community page only had a link to the forums at the bottom instead of having a big one up at the top (always scrolling down to get to the forums). Then the 250-something page thread about how broken the bog standard dwarven infantry was because Headstrong wasn't worth the 5 extra points we were paying for it. Let's face it. Something had to be done. The final fix kind of works a little bit.

Then the days of the forums being a reasonable place to go and look up information or rules clarification but it was fairly quiet because nobody really used it (quite possibly because it was so hard to find unless you knew where it was).

But Face Book? Come on! Not all of us want to use that horrible ugly contraption.

• Like 1

Yea, I use facebook, but ugh.  Not for my toy soldiers!  

Mantic's forums were epically bad.  I also couldn't log in because "I wasn't registered" but also "couldn't register" because I was already registered.  Bringing this up to Mantic folks would get the proverbial blank stare (as much as you can give over email).  If they didn't acknowledge a problem, I guess there wasn't one!

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Skeletons by Chumbawumba. They get knocked down, but they get up again. You're never going to keep them down.....

So. Weeble skeletons then?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Skeletons by Chumbawumba. They get knocked down, but they get up again. You're never going to keep them down.....

P_20181217_214840.thumb.jpg.680464294c2f873666848eea343d9085.jpg

That was what was so annoying in one of my earlier battles against Grump.

They just WOULDN'T STAY DEAD!

And I kept forgetting about my Command Dice, while he was spending all of his EVERY TURN!

And then the icing on the cake was when the giant that we were both hunting used my leader's head as a golf ball and his body as the tee.

TWICE my leader has been killed by the giant! TWICE! And Dead, Dead, not just taken out of that battle.

I think the big guy is secretly on Grump's side.

Beautiful miniature. It makes me want to play Skyrim. Hell's bells! I just realized that is what Northern Alliance is! Fus Ro DA!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Beautiful miniature. It makes me want to play Skyrim. Hell's bells! I just realized that is what Northern Alliance is! Fus Ro DA!

You know, you've got a fair point. That explains all the elves. I was trying to work out why they'd been shoe horned in. If it's an Elder Scrolls game where something like 5/8ths of every playable race is some kind of elf then it makes much more sense now.

You know Brother Vinni does a rather convincing Dovakhiin miniature, right? So convincing it actually got dmca'd and he had to resculpt it slightly to avoid further copyright claims.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg

On 12/18/2018 at 5:17 AM, Balgin Stondraeg said:

You know, you've got a fair point. That explains all the elves. I was trying to work out why they'd been shoe horned in. If it's an Elder Scrolls game where something like 5/8ths of every playable race is some kind of elf then it makes much more sense now.

You know Brother Vinni does a rather convincing Dovakhiin miniature, right? So convincing it actually got dmca'd and he had to resculpt it slightly to avoid further copyright claims.

For what it's worth, the elves have been a part of the Northern Alliance since the beginning - even for the first Kickstarter, long before getting rules, or even much more than the barest of mentions.

Which in no way removes possible Elder Scrolls inspiration.... (And, apparently in the history of the Elder Scrolls setting... dwarfs were also elves. Yes, they were described to the humans as 'short' - but it was the giants giving the description... to them, humans are also 'short'.)

I think Megan may be considering running an Elder Scrolls tabletop game - she had the Reaper KS page open to the mammoth, and both the giant and the rune stones from the Vanguard Kickstarter on the desk.... I think she was comparing....

And Skyrim was downloading to the computer....

So, I pointed her at the Northlands Saga from Frog God, and the catfolk in the Advanced Races guide for Pathfinder. (May you sleep on sunbathed stones*....)

The Auld Grump

* You know... a variant of Dancing Lights might be fun to use on a Kajhiit.... Heck, they might use it themselves, to teach their children the joy of the pounce....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Technically the dwemer were one of the Dunmer clans (or at least that's what they said in Morrowind but it felt insulting). Then again creating a short race in Oblivion meant the character was literally incapable of swimming as the swimming animations used the centre of gravity as the middle of the body which placed the character's head constantly underwater. This was not an issue in Skyrim.

Has Megan seen the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Roleplaying Game? It looks like it's basically a percentile system or a d10 system with proper Runequest/Call of Cthulu/Elric/Stormbringer style improvement through use.

Khajiit has no .... entry in the Northern Alliance warband list. Clearly all those racist Nords in Windhelm put them off signing up. Same goes for the Argonians I suppose.

If I do begin a Northern Alliance warband then I can probably use the Shieldwolf Battle Yak as an ice troll.

Battle_Yak_front_view_by_Shieldwolf_Miniatures.thumb.jpg.46bff0322af568476e0b887ef1941b52.jpgBattle_Yak_left_side_by_Shieldwolf_Miniatures.thumb.jpg.1edb2d881348e782e55aefd58c01a05c.jpgBattle_Yak_rear_side_by_Shieldwolf_Miniatures.thumb.jpg.fa83807f66a99c08f5cb16110758b9d3.jpg

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
Khajiit has no time for your reasons for editing.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I want to use that yak as a yak. :blink:

That is a player companion if I have ever seen one.

"You got to watch out for that one. It's a leaner."

"A leaner?"

"Means it moves up next to you, and leans on you."

"That doesn't sound so bad."

"It isn't, until you BOTH fall over, and you're under five hundred pounds of contented yak."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3