Sign in to follow this  
joe5mc

Rangers of Shadow Deep - Solo and Cooperative Wargame (by the Creator of Frostgrave)

Nice setup. I quickly painted up that flesh golem to use in this scenario and then he never showed up when we played. The luck of the cards. I'm trying to get ready for the Burning Light missions right now. Made a list of all the monsters and terrain I need and am chugging away painting. Don't have any giant fly minis yet and I think i'll try sculping the darkroot vines. Plan on using the carnivorous plant from Bones 3 as the darkroot body.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zink said:

Nice setup. I quickly painted up that flesh golem to use in this scenario and then he never showed up when we played. The luck of the cards. I'm trying to get ready for the Burning Light missions right now. Made a list of all the monsters and terrain I need and am chugging away painting. Don't have any giant fly minis yet and I think i'll try sculping the darkroot vines. Plan on using the carnivorous plant from Bones 3 as the darkroot body.

I painted the buzzard for the bridge scenario, and he never appeared.

• Like 4

I did the buzzard too. He died on the first turn he appeared because of a lucky critical hit from a throwing dagger. With Shadowdeep I'm making a real effort to use as much painted stuff as I can. It's kind of tricky because some of the things (like flies) just aren't a common fantasy trope.

• Like 7

The giant flies are pretty common in the first missions. You'll want at least 6 of them. When we did those missions I didn't really have anything suitable so I use Mantic demons and the Bones fly demon. I'm trying to sculpt a few of my own but I'm not going very fast on it. Joe said that he uses cheap Halloween plastic flies and I've seen some 3D printed ones. There's some new missions available to buy now too. Me and my boys really like it but we've been playing Frostgrave while I'm slowly building and painting all the stuff for the Burning Light campaign.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been hearing and reading a lot lately about Shadowdeep. 

I plan on ordering the book and giving it a try. So I’ll be following this thread.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I'll probably be playing this.  At least one of the scenarios calls for giant flies so what are people using for them?

How about bats as proxies?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I'll probably be playing this.  At least one of the scenarios calls for giant flies so what are people using for them?

Cheap Halloween flies from Daiso, the Japanese 100 yen shop. They're about 0.5" long.

My group have played the first mission, now prepping up for the second one.

Fun Game.

DaisoFlies.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I had thought that those tubes of animals in hobby shops might well have an insect version but I wasn't aware of these "prank" flies.   Many thanks. l I don't see less than 100 flies on Amazon but they are cheap nonetheless.  

Now how about corpses for objective markers?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChanSeal said:

Cheap Halloween flies from Daiso, the Japanese 100 yen shop. They're about 0.5" long.

My group have played the first mission, now prepping up for the second one.

Fun Game.

DaisoFlies.jpg

Ooh, I like those. Also I was turned off the Amazon ones because I don't need a hundred even if they are cheap.

38 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Now how about corpses for objective markers?

I painted my resin bone pile markers from the Dungeon Saga Kickstarter. These aren't mine but look pretty close.

Image result for Dungeon Saga bone piles

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just thought to mention that for players using more than one ranger there's some playtest rules on the Facebook group for making the missions harder. I know we cruised through the first few missions easily but that was due to a combination of inadvertently cheating and incredibly lucky rolls. We didn't realise the special abilities and spells were one use per game. Even so a couple of the games gave us a good fight. The main thing I'm a bit unsatisfied with when using 3 rangers like we do is that you can't really buy any of the better companions. But because the rangers are so much stronger, especially after a few games it's understandable plus we get 9 minis total instead of 8. This isn't Frostgrave where everybody gets 10 minis.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2019 at 9:14 AM, Zink said:

I was planning on painting up the ‘skeeters from Malifaux as proxies for flies...but thise Daiso flys look pretty sweet. 

2 hours ago, KruleBear said:

I was planning on painting up the ‘skeeters from Malifaux as proxies for flies...but thise Daiso flys look pretty sweet. 

I may end up buying some flies as I'm making a mess of my sculpting and it'd be a REALLY giant fly. I found something that looks like them on ebay, 10 for $1.33 cad shipping included. So now the big decision is buy them or the 100 for $8 off Amazon. I'll need them for when we do the Blood Moon scenario. Reading through Temple of Madness I'm going to need a lot more ghouls too. Got a few coming in Bones 4 that might give me the minimum needed.

• Like 4

I went and bought a 10 pack of flies off ebay. Estimated arrival June 14th! :ik_oops: Hoping it will be quicker. Getting very close to having everything built and painted for the Burning Light campaign. Hoping to have it all ready by Easter so that we can play a bunch of it while the kids are off school.

• Like 4