Funding Your Habit

Spire

I am intrigued on the money issue here, reason being Leech and I have often talked about running a tournament here in the UK, now the costs to us for doing would be around $200, bascially the hire of the venue for the day. So is the suggestion here that we couldn't charge people for entering the tournament to cover that cost ? If so I am pretty dang worried by this statement.

Stuart

OK, let's talk about low-cost alternatives to finding gaming space.

1) Local Library

Local Libraries often have community rooms that can be used by the community at large. It often requires a reservation in advance to secure the facility. They are usually free, but you can't smoke, drinks and food are very restricted and load noise is frowned upon.

2) College Campus

College campuses have large numbers of rooms available. If you are not an organization sponsored by the college, you will be charged. The trick here, organize a gaming club on campus.

3) Community Centers

Local government often have community activity centers available. They are not unlike the Local Library above, but are more tolerant of food, drink, and noise.

4) Park Districts

Like the Community Centers, but usually a fee associated with the rental of the facility. Fees are minimal, as they recieve tax money from the community.

5) Veteran's Groups

If you are a veteran, most veteran's groups have a meeting hall. When you become a member and pay your annual fee, you can rent the hall for a nominal fee. IIRC, my local American Legion post asks for a $25 annual fee and a $25 fee to rent the hall for the day.

6) Start a Game Convention

If lack of gaming space is a problem for you, it most likely is a problem for all the gamers in the area. Organize a Games Day Mini-Convention, and charge a nominal gate fee to cover the cost of renting the site. Let any GMs in for half cost.

Over the last year, I have started a Gaming Convention and a Gaming Club to promote gaming in my community. It's a great deal of work, moreso than simply being an AO for Reaper. At the same time, far more rewarding. Or, as some might say around here, its simply shameless self-promotion. :rolleyes::wacko:

Questions from the Peanut Gallery???

Have a NICE DAY!!!

I said,

HAVE A NICE DAY!!! Really, I mean it!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All your suggestions are great for this side of the pond Spire, but I think that the rules are a bit different over in the UK where Stuarts question first addressed.

But ya defiantly folks if your looking to have a big cav event use Spires list as a check list and hit them all.

now for our limey friends.... the quickest way to work around it would be to rent the hall in conjunction with another gaming group and have the big cav event as a event with in this event. so you charge to get in the door but you play which ever available game you want for free.... just a thought.

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Dallas Texas

Spire we have looked into most of the possible venues in the area around us and this is the cheapest that is suitable.

1. The local libraries don't have rooms for hire.

2. There are no nearby college campuses.

3. Community Centres again don't have rooms for hire.

4. Urm no such thing that I know off here.

5. Not a veteran, however another possible venue is the local Legion centre, they are currently redeveloping their building and will have rooms for hire when finished.

6. There are several local gaming clubs which all have venues however none are big enough for what we want to do.

This leaves us with the local scout hall that we are considering, but they charge £10 an hour or $18 or so at the current exchange rate. What we may do is try to have a CAV tourney at the same time as another tournament to get a greater number of players using the hall thus lowering the ticket price.

Stuart

6. There are several local gaming clubs which all have venues however none are big enough for what we want to do.
OK, I have to ask: What's the plan?

...but they charge £10 an hour...do is try to have a CAV tourney at the same time as another tournament to get a greater number of players using the hall thus lowering the ticket price.
Why not just go all out and try the games day/mini-con? Can you get 50 people, plus all the associated gaming equipment, in the hall? If you can, you can rent the hall and charge £2 per person for 10 hours of gaming fun!! Really, it's not as hard as you think to run one. I've run three over the last 20+ years, and I am sure there others here willing to help out and offer advice.

Have a NICE DAY!!!

I said,

HAVE A NICE DAY!!! Really, I mean it!!

Well going back to the original point, I don't have a problem with the concept of running a tournament where there is a charge for entering, however Matt's post and other people's comments indicate that there is one.

That said I am willing to accept any advice on running a mini-con. What have you set-up at the three you have run ? Did you have any traders present ?

Stuart

ya i think you've got it squared away, as long as they are just paying to get into a bigger event and not just the tourny then it shouldn't violate any of the BL rules.

As for running events, i've run tons, what kinda advice are you looking for.

primary is securing folks to run games. RPG's, table top games, CAV, Warlord the gambit.

once you have your GM's and a per game max that they will allow at their table, you figure out your site needs and table needs, and move from there.

you'll need a staff of some sort to be responsible for the event, taking tickets, yada yada yada.

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Dallas Texas

I usually do this in reverse: Find the location, then start filling in GMs. I have friends and local contacts that will volunteer before hand to run games, at least enough to advertise in a flier.

Staff is important: they will make or break your con. Registration booth is key, make sure you get people there that can handle money (make accurate change, etc).

As for retailer, traders, hucksters and such, most around here won't come to a single day event. But no harm in asking.

But first off, some basics:

How big is the Hall? Can you get, say, 50-60 gamers, 10-12 game tables (4'x8' or whatever) and still have room to move about? Will you still have room for hucksters?

Can you get a rate for an entire day (10-12 hours or more) that is cheaper than a 10-12 hours at an hourly rate? What dates is it available?

Can you get an additional 4-6 people besides yourself involved?

Are there refreshments/food nearby? If not, can you sell them yourself? This will require more staff to man that booth and more legwork and capital before hand, but can go a long way to helping the con break even.