Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I decided to do the shark too. I'll post to where I've completed but still lots to do. So much that I've given up on my whale shark plans.
This is photographing way better than it looks in person.
Then I did turquoise ink on the clear plastic and ashen blue and vgc glacier blue and turquoise ink wash on shark.
Then I started working in rubber /highlight and teal ink and spectral glow for the whale shark markings.
Now I've added a bit more rubber on the top
This wip is far along. I had to rewash laundry late (and stay up late enough to put stuff in the drier).
Started with a coat of Corporea black, then pure black on the barrel, and wood got mahogany. I debated painting stuff like the stuff at the military college (chassis painted grey) but I felt it would be boring. So I'm painting it in other boring colors. I haven't painted wheels yet. These would be better bought prepainted, because they're pretty inaccessible.
Hello all. Today I just finished this Shambling Mound from Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures. I decided to do it just like a tutorial I saw on Mini Junkies, so I'm not even sure how much credit I can claim for him . Basically it's heavily drybrushed with white and then entirely inked. I used Vallejo Game Inks and this was my first time trying them. There are some imperfections and I wish some aspects had turned out different but I'm happy enough with him. I didn't have enough guts to put grass and flock directly on him like I would have liked but I don't think any of the stuff I have would have looked right. As it is the grass and flock on the base basically disappears because it blends with the greens on him. Hope you enjoy him!
It this yesterday because it gives me a nice in-between mini from my reaper eldritch demon and my Cthulhu.
This is about 90 minutes
Lots of inaccessible spots and texture which makes painting not fun. Will be making this shorter than planned as a result. Everything will get a flesh wash. I'll do some eyes and claws, then a medium and ink wash of the clear plastic water.
This grouping is a little eclectic because I was experimenting with a new medium.
While I was at Reapercon, James Wapple introduced me to the joys of using oils to help me work on my tabletop minis and my blending. When I got home I found I had everything lying around except for some quality thinner so I got some of that, sat down and gave it a try. He has a number of YouTube videos describing the technique better than I ever could but it basically uses the fact that oils have an exceptionally long drying time to allow for some really nice wet blending without developing chalkyness or the layer steps I always get in dry blending. The oils being a heavier body also seems to help me give the mini a fur effect of different hairs across the body
What I found was a new method, for me, that should help me clear a lot of army minis and take them from primed to done and looking good in a very short period of time. First thing I tried wss a whitehorm stag that I had sitting next to my desk when I got home. It was by wizkids and pre primed so easy pickens
including setup that was about 40 minutes work and my first try. Next up wss a hippogryph which has been haunting my shelf of shame for 4 years now because I could never get the horse part right
While not as good on the feathers (feathers aren't easy for me and these are barely scored enough to show detail) I finally got some results on the horsey part that I actually liked: nice warm red tones and highlights that don't look painted on. The chest feathers in was also able to get some highlights into that don look drybrushed. And again, this was another 40 minutes or so.
Finally I decided to try some rats that I needed for a (hopefully) upcoming Rangers of Shadow's Deep campaign. Since the method Scott showed me uses #6 and #8 brushes I was curious how it would work on Such a small mini. I think it did very well, again giving me noce highlights in the fur without looking drybrushed and without taking a huge amount of time (30 minutes for the lot)
Not too bad for my first few tries. I especially like how the greys and browns turned out but even the white rats have some character.
I am certainly going to give it some more time and minis, both for animals and a huge group of Wrath of Kings minis that have languished in the back of my shelves for years. Hope you like what you see. They are my first trys and I really like the results
Who's Online 12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 144 Guests (See full list)