Rigel

SPACEFUTURE: Nolzur's Displacer Beast and Hydra Valkeeri

Very cool Spacepanther!

Ooohhhh Greenskinned Space Girl :wub:

****Hhheeellllooooo...Howl you Doing?****

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Great job on both!

Do you actually play games with these wonderful characters?  If so, I'm coming to your house for game night!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, all! 

22 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Ooohhhh Greenskinned Space Girl :wub:

****Hhheeellllooooo...Howl you Doing?****

:lol: The perfect intersection of Tex Avery and Gene Roddenberry. 

15 hours ago, Iridil said:

Really like the snake-stripes on the spacepanther - shaping up as another great setting!

Thank you! RETRO-VENUS is an incredibly dynamic planet; almost everything is either fungal, psychoactive, infectious, poisonous, venomous, symbiotic, addictive, or carnivorous--and usually several of the above.

11 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

How do they get around the way the Cytherean atmosphere degrades liftwood so quickly?

Niiiiice! I've never played Space: 1889, but rot and decay *is* an ever-present issue (it grants Venerians in my game penalties to technology use rolls; the tape reels get coated in mold spores). In game, they mostly a combination of gold-plated hoversleds and general Beast Mastery for transport. 

11 hours ago, Warlady said:

Do you actually play games with these wonderful characters?  If so, I'm coming to your house for game night!

Yes! It started when my Pulp Cthulhu players got accidentally time/spacewarped to the Red Planet of a billion years ago (long, dumb, weird story). They proceeded to turn those space-lemons into cosmic lemonade by becoming the PIMP-LORDS OF MARS (longer, dumber, weirder story). [They also, with no guidance on my part, inadvertently set up the events of Wells' "War of the Worlds" and set up a closed causal loop that seeded Earth with life. And imported shoggoths to Mars.]  Since becoming a PIMP-LORD OF MARS is as close to 'winning' Call of Cthulhu as a hobo, a pimp, a butler, and a drunken physicist are likely to get, I ended that campaign and started a new one in the spacefuture of that same universe. Oh my, do we have stories.
Long, dumb, weird ones.
We'd be honored to have you over! 

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      This was an excellent opportunity to practice some effects for marble.  Also, a tip for anyone else working on this mini: if you have a dental tool or other means of prying, the water comes right out. I painted shiny metallic fish on the undersurface of the water and their shadows on the fountain. The wash on the water kind of obscures it though; next time maybe I'll put the blue-green tint on the fountain's bowl itself and leave the water clear. 
      AP Bright Gold, some Reaper sample blue-green, and some Nihilakh Oxide got the statue taken care of. A Reaper sample of almost-flesh-tone-pink was the basis for the marble. Then some subtle streaks of a gray-blue and a white, each mixed with the pale pink, glazed with a touch of pinked-up Apothecary White finished the stonework off. This looks pretty fresh; there's plenty of room for weathering later. 

The upper basin on mine was warped a bit, but the tentacle bas-relief is worth the price of admission.

Click for full turnaround: 

Click for some in-progress pics:  

But let's see it in action! This looks like a late-Renaissance or Classical project for a Western Mediterranean port town, now probably relying more on tourism than shipping and fishing. Picked up some more useful backdrop paper from my local hobby store (not my preferred one, but they have more things). 

I've posted all of the human minis before, except for Antediluvian Miniatures's Professor Cushing (the gaunt fellow with the umbrella and monocle). He's a marvelous sculpt, very directly lifted from "At Earth's Core!" The sort of character who would appreciate all the aesthetic features of this fountain, and probably investigate its history until he uncovered the terrible maritime cult it celebrates. 

Oh, yes, and I also got another public-utility structure, this one considerably quicker to paint up. 

No, not a stage. Pan back:

Click for turnaround of Madame la Guillotine: 

• By Rigel
      Frog-folk are always irresistible, and tiny poison-arrow frog-folk even more so. These are from a Nolzur's 3-pack. One had some kind of horns on its head I didn't fancy, so I trimmed those off. Look at these big-headed little savages!  

More angles: 

But I know you're all here for the Grenadier! Afraid I had to get this Marsh Dragon from Mirliton, but I couldn't resist. It's so salamander-like, with goggling newt eyes and axolotl gills, and that lovely rounded snout. We're really jaded by fancy dragons after years of fantasy art. Even a low-level drake like this would be pant-fillingly TERRIFYING in real life. Look at that dynamic curve of its body, the lashing tail! The armored prehistoric arrogance of a crocodilian, but faster and more agile; something with the metabolism of a tiger and the yawning bite of a leopard seal, with a bone-breaking tail-swipe. This is a great 'cryptid' dragon, suitable for Call of Cthulhu or a low-fantasy gritty medieval / renaissance game. 

You know any treasure hoard is buried deep in soft, acidic mud, too. They don't stockpile precious metals in particular, but anything else gets corroded away in that caustic sump.

Like the Grungs, I gave it vivid aposematic coloration, partly like the salamanders it resembles, and partly because many of the dragons chronicled in Continental European legend were feared less for their size than for their virulent poison. 

I don't know what the excrescence on its back is meant to be; certainly not wings. Maybe a bony outgrowth, maybe a Suriname Toad style brood pouch of puckered and toughened hide, maybe an organic saddle. Since there are so many styles and colorations of poison dart frogs, I might get another pack of Grung and modify one of them to ride on this thing. Their bandy legs and its peaked carapace look like a good fit.
    • By Rigel
      It was getting along for sundown when the turtle moseyed into town.

(click for turnaround)

Now, round these parts, we don't ask questions about a man's past. But every man's got a past, and sometimes the past got a long shadow. 

(Special guest appearances by Bombshell's Raferu-san and some modified Troglodytes.) 

I will glue a grommet top hat to anything, anything. 
      Something about the poncho made me think of old Spaghetti westerns, and things snowballed from there. 
      Hope you enjoy!
    • By Mini_Wizard_Studios
      Finished my beholder. It's a little over exposed after stacking the photos. I'm too lazy to take new pictures. He was fun to paint! i'm happy with how he came out, Need to keep pushing myself though.

MVI_0102.MOV
    • By Rigel
      "Great Gods!  I'd rather be
      A cultist suckled in a creed outworn
      Could I but see Cthulhu rising from the sea
      or hear old Dagon blow his wreathed horn."

(With apologies to William Wordsworth)

A desolate piece of grey coast on a very particular day in November.

The hour is right. The signs are right. The stars are right. 
      A pulse of sickly green light, far out to sea. 
      An hour passes, then two. It takes even one of the High Priest's blood a while to ascend from the crushing black depths.

Then, a boiling. A bubbling and a heaving of the waters. With a great splash, vast flabby webbed wings break the surface, followed by a most awful head. 

Brine cascades off its greasy hide in waterfalls as more and yet more of its colossal bulk emerges.

So, now. The summons worked. But did the binding?
      Foam churns around its loathsome feet as it strides up to the shore. 

(Cultist is played by 59039, Deadlands Noir Occult Detective.)

The Nolzur's Star Spawn is one heck of a chunk of model! Very good detail; good placement of clear water and primed plastic. Some places were NOT EASY TO REACH, but it turns out those wings pop right out of their sockets if you bend and wiggle them a bit. Found that out by accident. They pop back in pretty easily, too, so that helps a lot. 

Water is mostly GW blue and green contrasts mixed together. Takes a lot of time brushing back and forth before it adheres properly to the translucent plastic. A drybrushing with ivory white gets the foam caps. 
      Skin is mostly a base coat of AP Disgusting Slime graded with darker greens. Irregular rings of Reaper Ancient Oak and Reaper (sample internal-organ pink) provide some contrast; there's a lot of canvas and it needs variety. 

Decided to make my other Reaper spawns match the scheme. Eldritch demon, 77113, and Darkspawn Minion, 03438b. 

Alternate summoning:

And an as-yet-unpainted Great Cthulhu piggy bank that is about the right scale for the O.G. G. O. O. 
      Towering over the horizon, blotting out the sun--classic Cthulhu stuff.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 53 Guests (See full list)