Colonel Kane

Colonel Kane' PbP

Well, I could just have the paladin go magic user extra early to limit divine graces and add some eldritch power.

If we ever even get that far. ;)

1 minute ago, Arkady said:

Well, I could just have the paladin go magic user extra early to limit divine graces and add some eldritch power.

If we ever even get that far. ;)

True, we may end up just talking about making characters... LOL. 

Ok Timewize, since this week is the Giving of Thanks on Thursday and my family is getting together on the following Saturday, add in the fact I have to print off some character sheets, unless you all are going to change your characters.  I am shooting for an initial post on Saturday December 1st, but heck has been known to freeze over in this part of the world and I am not that close to a polar region. 

Col K. I'll keep my original stats as they were pretty good.

18/46 17, 11, 18, 10 & 9 (Ahhhh a surly elf!! ha ha)

Looking at my sheet I see I didn't fill in all my languages.... (says +8 more....:blink:)

2 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

What class is your elf? Fighter?
If so I'll definitely go Cleric, frontline seems all set.

Fighter/magic-user

8 hours ago, haldir said:

I didn't fill in all my languages

I didn't fill in any, which re-reading the rules I remember being due to my not quite comprehending whether or not humans were even allowed to fill any of those slots at first level.

Also, this reminds me: are we using the INT bonus to # of nonweapon proficiencies or not?

More generally, I don't quite understand the nonweapon proficiency rules. Is the base target value modified by the attribute bonus from that table? Because it doesn't seem to outright state that anywhere. (I.e. does it even matter whether I pick ones where my attributes are good?)

On 11/20/2018 at 12:07 AM, BlazingTornado said:

I rolled the d10+d4+4 method...

13, 17, 16, 10, 15, 12

Personally, I'd say do a d10+8 roll too and use the better. We had some really good rolls the first time around. I mean, I played a paladin, under the old school rules where that 17 in Charisma was a total waste...

Looks like we've got the holier than thous covered, so I'll just stick with my Scout. I need to try and find my character sheet, I know it's around somewhere. 

On 11/21/2018 at 4:47 AM, Arkady said:

Also, this reminds me: are we using the INT bonus to # of nonweapon proficiencies or not?

More generally, I don't quite understand the nonweapon proficiency rules. Is the base target value modified by the attribute bonus from that table? Because it doesn't seem to outright state that anywhere. (I.e. does it even matter whether I pick ones where my attributes are good?)

Yes, use the INT bonus to acquire additional Nonweapon Proficiencies.

My understanding of them is as follows:

To use them you declare you are using them, roll a 20 add in the respective attribute modifier if the roll is over 16 you have a success. 

a natural 20 is an auto success and a natural 1 is an auto failure. 

2 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Also, how can I fill out a character sheet? Myth-Weavers doesn't have an OSRIC one.

On the website I have, there is a link to Usherwood, which has a zip file of a form fillable sheet.  if you have any problems with just ask and we can come up with something. If push comes to shove you can just PM me the details. 

I hope, for those in the U.S you are having a great Thanksgiving. For the rest of you, I hope it was a FABULOUS Thursday. 

2 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

I hope, for those in the U.S you are having a great Thanksgiving. For the rest of you, I hope it was a FABULOUS Thursday. 

Considering work was 10+ hrs on a giant unnecessary load, yah my Thursday got off to a crappy start. Night off, but it doesn't feel like it due to I slept most of the  day when I got home. I'm not even in the mood to watch the Saints game on tv right now. Still I hope for everyone else it was a great day spending however you felt like spending it.

The ODD/AD&D cleric always was a class that was a bit of a "warrior with band aids", and attributes should depend on how much you want to lean into that. With your roll, the most obvious stat is INT, though: 12 is the by-the-book optimization for bonus languages/proficiencies.

Beyond that, with your roll, I see two main options:

1. an offensive warrior cleric with STR 17, CON 16 and WIS 15 (CHA/DEX 13/10 as you prefer)

with that +1 to hit he'd be more competent in combat than the average bear, he can take actually take a hit or two he gets decent bonus band aids (spells)

2. a spellcasting-oriented build with WIS 17, STR 13 and CHA 10

a) extra sturdy with CON 16, DEX 15 for maximum HP and a slight AC bonus

b) extra defensive with  DEX 16, CON 15 for a higher AC bonus at the expense of 1 HP per level

either way, a ton of bonus band aids, and still strong enough to (probably) be able to move in some proper armor

Core gear is some proper armor, a holy symbol, and something to whack unbelievers upside the head with.

• Like 1

What about Wisdom. Wisdom has always been a cleric's primary ability?