Colonel Kane

Colonel Kane' PbP

Yes it has, that's spellcasting-focused build.

That never kept people from playing "warrior with band aids" particularly in limited low level campaigns, and the way to go all in on that would be putting the 17 in STR (for the +1 to hit).

Personally, however, I'd probably do 2b.

Actually, I guess there's also a 1b: STR 17, WIS 16, CON 15, to get even more spell power on warrior with band aids and the bonus XP.  I don't really like sacrifing the HP on the front line version of a cleric, though.

• Like 1

While WIS is the primary stat of a cleric, it has to no less than a 9, so Arkady's suggestions have their merit.  A high Wis does give the character access to 'more' spells, however with the potential lethalness of a 1e game, a high CON which gives you a HP bonus has its lure as does a high to hit bonus to hopefully kill any of the bad guys before they kill you. 

It is entirely up to you as to where you want to put your stats, but high WIS, StR, and CON followed closely by DEX should be a priority. . 

I think WIS 17, CON 16, STR 15, DEX 13, INT 12, CHA 10 might be the way to go...

If I'm going to be the healer, being able to cast more cures might be the best idea.

Which Cleric weapon should I use? Flavor-wise I'm a sucker for a flail but the mechanics here kind of confuse me so I don't know what'd be best.

Also the better armor type I should get for a decent balance AC/movement....

Edited by BlazingTornado

Hmm, I'd like to point out STR 15 over 13 doesn't really do much (+10 lbs carrying capacity, basically), whereas DEX 15 over 13 would be a -1 AC.

That's the beauty* of AD&D-style rules: different attributes become useful, or stop getting effectively better, or never actually become useful at all except to maybe some oddball class you can't realistically roll high enough for, at different arbitrary values, because why not?

* for a given value of beauty, probably about the same as that of a mongrel-half orc that had their face repeatedly smashed in with a shovel

23 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

I think WIS 17, CON 16, STR 15, DEX 13, INT 12, CHA 10 might be the way to go...

If I'm going to be the healer, being able to cast more cures might be the best idea.

Which Cleric weapon should I use? Flavor-wise I'm a sucker for a flail but the mechanics here kind of confuse me so I don't know what'd be best.

Also the better armor type I should get for a decent balance AC/movement....

If you like the Flail, I would go with that.  as far as Armor, I would go with the Mail hauberk. Enc is only 30lbs 5 AC move of 90 and only 75 gp.

I do want to point out that the heavy Flail is is 6 gp.  add that to the 75 for armor is 81. I beileve you said you got 130 gp that leaves you with only 49 for rations and anything else you think you might need for adventuring. 

Maybe I'm looking at a misprint but the heavy flail lists for 3gp on the pdf I'm looking at.

If I'm wrong maybe I'll save a single gold to go with a morningstar instead. Heavy mace is even pricier.

Or I could just use a staff. It's free. ::D:

Staffs are for wussy wizards, not courageous celrics.

That, and you might want to consider carrying a shield.

With the money I rolled, buying a useful shield would leave my character pinching pennies for anything else.

Besides the staff is free and just deals 1 damage less than a heavy flail.

4 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Maybe I'm looking at a misprint but the heavy flail lists for 3gp on the pdf I'm looking at.

If I'm wrong maybe I'll save a single gold to go with a morningstar instead. Heavy mace is even pricier.

Or I could just use a staff. It's free. ::D:

My bad. You are correct. The heavy Flail is 3 go. I gave you the price of the light Flail. 

While you can be a cleric of the Church of Law, you should pick a favorite good or goddess. You do not NEED to pick one, but might help. I said might and for the record I do LOVE messing around with characters.......

6 hours ago, Arkady said:

mongrel-half orc that had their face repeatedly smashed in with a shovel

You may have to meet a few of those in the near future.......

I think Gayle will start out as, so to speak, a sable of Kassandra. Even though she uses a long sword. And it is the kind of bad cerebral pun she knows she should not actually consider funny. But yeah.

Hmm. No, I will not be able to afford both armor and an empty spell book at first level, so I guess acquiring the latter will have to be Gayle's first quest on her path to getting closer to the goddess and dual-classing.

Ok so on top of the mail hauberk, heavy flail, sling and 12 sling bullets, this is what I bought:

Bedroll 5 2 sp
Backpack 10 (empty) 2 gp
Boots, soft 3 1 gp
Holy symbol, wooden 1 6 sp
Blanket, woollen 2 5 cp
Tunic, woollen 1 5 cp
Belt - 5 sp
Rope, hemp (per 50 ft) 10 1 gp
Pouch, belt, large 2 (empty) 4 sp
Pouch, belt, small 1 (empty) 2 sp
Soap (per lb) 1 5 sp
Scrollcase, leather ½ 1 gp
Lamp (bronze) 1 1 sp
Oil (lamp) (per pint) 1 1 sp
Satchel 5 (empty) 1 gp
Waterskin (3 pint) 1 (empty) 1 gp
Sack, large 1 (empty) 15 cp

I still have 40 gold and 7 silver left over... Is there anything I'm missing or should I just buy allatta rations?