SisterMaryNapalm

Let's ... errrr ... try ... airbrushing a garage kit

As my first airbrush attempt on the Roman centurio was halted by the fact that the figure is so small, I decided to use a different figure, which would be ... bigger.

So in Japan I got me a number of garage kits. One of them was a figure of a nun or mage (I don't know the figure, so I have no idea) and as it was some kind of a miscast or so, I got it for the cheap price of around 6 Euro.

She's big enough to do some airbrush work. And as I want to train airbrushing, I don't want to ruin my first attempt by choosing wrong colours or too difficult painting concepts.

Therefore: YOU CAN CHOOSE THE COLOURS!

image.png.0a3efae2ce5109837b5a2dc8bcad52f6.png

NO! I really mean it! Gimme some colours, people.

Oh, yeah - That's the figure:

jykm-33j-8a91.jpg

jykm-33k-9915.jpg

jykm-33l-d4a7.jpg

jykm-33m-e438.jpg

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 13

I have no experience with airbrush, so can't help with the techniques behind that.

But as for choosing colours.

Is there any box art or examples of the finished mini?

Or do you want her to look different, original?

I'm unfamilair with who she is.

But I would like to see some caucasian light skin, anime hair in a blueish tone maybe?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Is there any box art or examples of the finished mini?

Or do you want her to look different, original?

I'm unfamilair with who she is.

But I would like to see some caucasian light skin, anime hair in a blueish tone maybe?

No, there is absolutely NO box art because the figure was on its own wrapped in some paper.

Caucasian skin - okay

Blue hair - what kind of blue hair? You know - manga and anime know a lot of blue colours for hair.

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

This caught my eye.  How's you freehand?  Even if you change up the flowers, I like the color transitions. 

Furisode-2016-18.thumb.jpg.31895962610c116d6d65e3f3078dd559.jpg

1dcj29.jpg

That's ... thanks for the offer, but ... oh my lord. You know who are you talking to?

I can try. Okay. I try it. Might take a year or ten, but I will try. Do you have got some more pictures of that particular Kimono? And - oh, yeah - is it for the inner skirt or for those outer ... ah - what do you call it ... coat/wraps (I have no idea)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

I think that may be Sakura wars? here's a screenshot:

155056631_Sakura_Wars_The_Gorgeous_Blooming_Cherry_Blossoms_VHS_1.jpg.f34007bce6e7a933fa51323a43bcd126.jpg

A good shot, but from what I can tell, this is a priest or nun character, has a cross on her breast and a priest hat on her head.

So I don't think it's from Sakura Wars.

There is no figure like this one at the Sakura Wars figure ranges. At least non of the ones I found.

But that's not a problem.

• Like 2

I second the idea of blue hair.  For some reason it seems right, though in my mind it's a truer, more vibrant blue than the screenshot (at least as it looks on my computer).  I see white or very pale/pastel robes with a strongly contrasted...whatever the split part of her clothing is called.  Tunic?  I could also see Auberon's suggestion--pink anime is pretty cool.  Pink hair, deep purplish robes with silver and/or black trim?  Might want to bust out a color wheel and play around with swatches.

• Like 2

I used the Reaper Marine colours triad for anime hair once.

Here is my take on it,

Basically used the triad as meant. ( shadow/midtone/highlight) and added a little white to the highlight mix for the finishing touch.

Insp Gall.JPG

Insp gall A.JPG

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6

That figure is Mint Adenade, from the video game Tales of Phantasia!  It’s no surprise that Ratmaster2000 would think it was From Sakura Wars, as the character design for both games was done by Kousuke Fujishima.

As for color, the game character is blond with pale skin, and the uniform is basically white with gold trim and magenta cross insignias on the hat and dress.  It would be interesting to do the lining and/or the shadowed parts of the dress as a pale muted lavender, as that would be the complementary color to the yellow hair and trim.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

That figure is Mint Adenade, from the video game Tales of Phantasia!  It’s no surprise that Ratmaster2000 would think it was From Sakura Wars, as the character design for both games was done by Kousuke Fujishima.

As for color, the game character is blond with pale skin, and the uniform is basically white with gold trim and magenta cross insignias on the hat and dress.  It would be interesting to do the lining and/or the shadowed parts of the dress as a pale muted lavender, as that would be the complementary color to the yellow hair and trim.

This one!

0487b47017a6ea3eaaabf99f78e5ded1.jpg

• Like 6

Started the skin colour. Messed up a few pieces and I think if I sand those parts down and paint them again. Shouldn't be such a bother.

As for the rest: I have reached a certain point where I cannot go on with the airbrush, but have to up the brush, which really bothers me, because I don't know how to go on. My mind is blank.

That's so frustrating. Anyway: Here are the pictures so far:

jykm-34d-c1d5.jpg

jykm-34e-cfca.jpg

jykm-34f-c94d.jpg

jykm-34g-3c38.jpg

• Like 11

I have zero experience with airbrush, but why do you need to resort to the brush at this stage?

Isn't is possible to use the air brush for the robes to paint them an even white?

I guess you need some masking tape or something to make sure you don't mess up earlier work.

Again, zero experience with air brush...

• Like 2