Lollicant

77151: Darkrasp, Evil Priest

Excellent work, and hooray for both diversity and cultists! :;,;: I like that jade thurible. 

Welcome! I look forward to seeing the rest of the Brothers of the Crypt. 

Welcome to the forums! Great first post!

Hurray for purple! I like the dark green bottle too and the scroll is well done. I like the dark skin as well. Nice job!

• Like 1

WELCOME ABOARD! Have a FUN stay!

That is a SPLENDIDBEAUTIFULLY painted way of introducing yourself. VERY NICELY DONE!

Great work on this necromancer. Welcome to the forum. I also like the dark purple color you selected. As for a constructive advice I recommend adding highlights on the coat folds. You can blend beige or yellow color with the purple to create a paler tone and complete the effect with a thin highlight line on the upper ledge of the folds and top of the cap.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Metalchaos said:

Great work on this necromancer. Welcome to the forum. I also like the dark purple color you selected. As for a constructive advice I recommend adding highlights on the coat folds. You can blend beige or yellow color with the purple to create a paler tone and complete the effect with a thin highlight line on the upper ledge of the folds and top of the cap.

Thanks Metalchaos! I started following you so this is pretty tight getting advice from an awesome painter.

can I confirm what you think on this: should I focus on highlighting all folds (bottom and body) or just one of these two points. I certainly don’t want to over do it!

My paints and figs are at a friends place (I paint when we hang out so I leave them there). This weekend I will try that out and add the pics on how it turned out.

Edited by Lollicant
Clarifying criticism given
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lollicant said:

...can I confirm what you think on this: should I focus on highlighting all folds (bottom and body) or just one of these two points. I certainly don’t want to over do it!

You can highlight the fold that are mostly exposed to the figurative light. If you want that light to be an ambient light, like the moon or the sun the folds on the upper parts of the model should have a paler highlight then the ones under the sleeves. You need to imagine the location from where the light will be coming from and work from there. If the light is coming from a lantern the model is wielding there will be more light around the lantern and non at the back of the model, where you can’t see the lantern.

You can highlight the folds with various successive tone from the darkest to the palest. One tone is ok, three tones is much better and will be ok on most models. You can use up to five different tones on larger surfaces. By adding more or less beige to your purple color you will get these various tones.

All this process is not easy to explain with words. You may want to watch some Youtube videos about this topic. I've found a couple of interesting ones when I looked for "miniature painting highlight". I hope it will help you a little, have fun and show us you work when you're done.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By planetmut
      I've had Ragnaros (or Raggers, as I like to think of him) for almost a year. I was stuck on what colours to use for ages. Red and brass, my first thought, are a bit too Khorne-y for my liking, and I didn't want to do him in the classic plate mail colours. So I settled for a pretty mute palette: Vallejo Neutral Grey, a blue/grey sample from Reaper, and Army Painter Dark Tone, Plate Mail Metal and Rough Iron. I did the eyes with Vallejo Red to add some colour.

I thought about doing something flashy with his sword and shield, but then figured that Raggers isn't the type to bugger about with flaming swords and shields made of human skin. I also wonder how easy it would be to outrun him seeing as he's wearing about three tons of armour. The figure itself is so heavy you could put it in a sock and use it to mug people.

Raggers isn't based yet; after slathering on what felt like the fourth gallon of Dark Tone to finish him off I'm taking a break.

As always, comments, criticisms and cash are welcome.

• By Chaoswolf
      Some of you are old enough to remember the old Dungeons and Dragons toy line from way back when. In that toy line, they featured an evil fighter named Warduke. He also made one appearance in the cartoon, and was given stats (more than once) for use in the pencil and paper RPG.

I have decided to make/convert a copy of him for myself.

This is who I'm talking about for those that don't know, or remember:

He got brought back for 3.0 or 3.5 edition D&D, too:

Now, that's some pretty cool artwork, and my apologies to Mr. Reynolds, but it's wrong. Warduke is LEFT handed.
      See?

Anyway, now that we all know who I'm talking about, I chose the Bones version of Goldar : http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/goldar/latest/77047 
      to use as the base for this project.

And this is what I've gotten done so far:

Hand removed for a weapon swap, left arm armor sculpted with GS, started reshaping the left boot.
    • By Jeepnewbie
      Left home in a hurry for a family emergency. Grandfather having heart trouble so I’m hanging out with him helping out.

I didn’t bring any minis or paint so I found a local game store and picked up a few. I went to hobby lobby and michaels for some brushes and paint. 

The paint was extremely cheap but hey if it doesn’t work out I can do something else. Space for travel is super limited (motorcycle) so I don’t want much to carry. 

I brushed on some foundation white from model color. Since I don’t have any skin tone I had to experiment making it. I am happy with the results. I’m not quite sold on the color for the armor yet. 
    • By GodOfCheese
      Mold lines, it seems, are my weakness.  Fortunately, this model, which I absolutely love, had lots of wrinkly bits that I could use to try and hide them.  :-)

• By Pochi
      Yes, Jafar has an evil twin. He decided that "phenomenal cosmic power but itty bitty living space" wasn't his thing so he decided to go a different route to achieve his fame and fortune. His name is Aziz and he has been working on ways to call forth the dead.

I am running an Egyptian based Earthdawn game and realized I paint lots of pretty girls and hardly have any guys (good or bad) even though I do buy males. So, for the past couple weeks I have been working on all male figures - mummies, merchants, a cat...hey, it's a boy cat!, and Aziz. Now I am trying to get everything on bases.

So, I had considered putting Aziz on a desert base or a temple floor base but I didn't have what I was looking for so went searching through a friend's box of goodies. He tossed me this base and said "Here ya go, make it lava." Well, I didn't "see" lava when I looked at him but thought I could do something to match the green of the flame coming from the skull. I then had the idea of a hand reaching out of the....goo?....slime?....stuff? So, we started digging through the rest of his stuff and found some arms and heads (also bodies but I didn't want the whole thing) so I chose what I wanted and went to work on his base. I also used Chaoswolf's tutorial on making stringy blood to make dripping goo off the zombie guy's hand. Pretty pleased with how it turned out!

As for the pictures, the green is bright (Valejo Fluorescent Green) but not quite as bright as the pictures make it look. In the base there is actually some yellow and white swirled in and then I mixed some green ink with realistic water and poured that over everything. You can't really see any of the details in the photos. I might try different photos with lights angled differently or something.

Anyway, here he is! Questions, comments, critiques welcome and encouraged!

• Who's Online   52 Members, 2 Anonymous, 161 Guests (See full list)